Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sven_erte

Replacing Trim Kit for Roman Tub

sven_erte
14 years ago

Hi there,

We have a 20 year old Roman tub faucet on our Jacuzzi. It is a Moen and we are wondering if anyone out there has replaced the visible portion (trim kit) of one similar. Please see image below. Replacing the plumbing below the surface is not an option.

I contacted Moen and they seem to think the handles would be ok with something like a Moen Kingsley Brushed nickel two-handle low arc roman tub faucet. But, the shank that the spout attaches to is 1/16" of an in shorter than the recommended size. Would this be a problem in practice? The recommended size for the shank is to ensure a seal.

And would the handles really fit?

Thanks.

Stephen

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (14)

• nigelsgarden
    14 years ago

We had a similar problem in a bath we remodeled.
    Our biggest problem was finding out what the brand was so that we could determine what would and wouldn't work with it.
    Once we figured that out, we found a spout that fit but the handles didn't fit as tightly as they should. A plastic sleeve that fit under the handle was slightly longer on the new model than the original one. I played around with all the parts, reused some of the old ones, and managed to get everything to fit correctly.

If you can find a large plumbing store (not a big box) and take the old parts in, they should be able to help you. My local store allowed me to bring home fixtures to test-fit until we found something that worked.
    Don't feel you have to stay with the same style. We were able to go with one of the newer style models.

• californiaplaya
    14 years ago

I recently did the same, only with a 25-year-old Price Pfister. Main reason I did it this way is because I do not have an access panel (opposite side of wall is in my kitchen behind a cabinet). The valve is fine as far as I know and can see (can't see inside wall). I did change the cartridge which was very slightly leaking while I was at it. Didn't know what I had or what I needed. Contacted Price Pfister, told them what I had and wanted to do. They asked me a few questions about how the shower valve operates and determined what I had. Once that was done, I was easily able to figure out what trim I could use. First place I looked was eBay. I was able to locate the trim kit I wanted and a matching vanity faucet, both new, for $40 shipped.

Obviously this won't help you with your Moen, but hopefully you will have a similarly simple experience.

Good luck!!!

• judithn
    14 years ago

I have a Moen Monticello installed on the side of a large soaking tub. It is on the tub and the tub is surrounded by a tile deck. The Moen Monticallo Tub filler is ugly but there's nothing functionally wrong with it. It has the silver and brass mixed metals from the 90's though. Very ugly! I'd love to figure out how to just switch to another faucet/handle. When you switch out to other trim kits, do you usually have to stay with the same manufacturer?

• judithn
    14 years ago

I wanted to update y'all. I took my Moen Monticello down to the local plumbing supply shop w/pix of the fittings. They said that I can replace the trim kit with any of the Moen tub fillers. They even called their technician to double check this. Now, my tub filler is only about 12 - 15 years old, not 20, so you'll want to check out if this works with your particular valve. I would never have thought of taking this path if not for this discussion thread. Yay gardenweb!

• User
    8 years ago

Yes.

• PRO
    Isenberg Faucets
    8 years ago

@sven_erte - you are thinking about replacing - there is another option - u could simply replace the handles - since u have identified the manufacturer u can review their online catalog and get that done. With regards to the spout - u might consider re-plating the spout to give it a newer look and replacing the aerator. this way u can still be assured that you are getting a new look but not taking on any risk by getting a new spout. There are some highly rated faucet plating companies which you could use.

• User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Good grief, IF, the OP was here SIX YEARS AGO. Do you think, perhaps, s/he may have already fixed the problem and moved on?

• anitagarvey
    4 years ago

AliceHasLeftTheBuilding lol. But other people follow the thread for advice also.

• M Bagheri
    4 years ago

I have the same problem. An ugly facet that I do not know the brand name and no access from underneath tile as it is sealed with tiles. Any idea what brand it is and if I can just update the look?

• David Maginsky
    3 years ago

@m bagheri did you solve this? I have the identical issue.

• Christiane
    3 years ago

I am joining the club. The pre-owner of the house made it special. In the front left corner we have the spout, in the right front corner the warm and cold handles and in the right back corner the shower handle and the switch handle! Opening up would mean three corners of marble tiles to cut.... We identified the company but they changed their name since then. So not so sure if they change even more...

• maineratheart
    3 years ago

I was actually able to take a sanding block and rub off the brass and turn it into “brushed nickel”. Looks SO much better. Yea the handles are dated but all I wanted was all the brass gone for resale. Mint!

• HU-581371703
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I am looking for replacement cartridge/stem for a roman bath tub faucet. It doesn't seem to have any brand name on it and I am not sure which brand. I see 4208 written on the round metal ring after removing the handle caps (both the cold and hot). Anyone know which brand this faucet is and the part number needed? Appreciate any help