Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msrose

Would you recommend a Whirlpool or Kitchen Aid gas range?

msrose
12 years ago

Let's see, I bought a Whilpool fridge and a GE washer & dryer when I moved in my house 1 1/2 years ago and I've recently had a repairman out to fix both of them. I bought a Kitchen Aid dishwasher two months ago and have already had the repairman out for that. The rinse agent container was leaking and it had to be replaced. No biggie, but I'm tired of having to call the repairman for new appliances. I'm hesitant to buy any more new appliances, but the originals were black and I've been switching over to stainless steel. All I have left is my microwave and gas range. The last time my repairman was here, I asked him if he could recommend a range and he said Whirpool or Kitchen Aid. Do you agree with his recommendations? I have a slide-in, so my choices will be a little more limited. Any brands I should definitely stay away from? I saw a nice looking Frigidaire, but I just don't think of Frigidaire when I think of gas stoves. My mother found a GE on clearance at Home Depot that she wants me to go look at. I think I've decided on a Whirpool microwave, so if there's any reason I should rethink that, let me know.

Comments (10)

• SugarCookies
    12 years ago

I had Whirlpool OTR microwave that I just replaced and it worked great. No problems at all, never needed service. I replaced it because I needed a drawer micro to fit into the end of my island.

I don't want to get into the gas range because my Viking that was just installed yesterday is a lemon!

• msrose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

SugarCookies - Oh my, I can't imagine how you feeling getting a Viking and having it turn out to be a lemon.

• SugarCookies
    12 years ago

msrose - Not to hijack this thread, but thanks.

• missers1295
    12 years ago

I've never had any issues with Whirlpool appliances I have owned. Right now I have a Whirlpool refrigerator and dishwasher.

I bought a KitchenAid gas range a couple of years ago when me moved into our current home. We are doing our remodel and I chucked it out. Never really liked it. Cheap knobs that broke. Didn't like how it baked.

I now have a Bosch cooktop and built-in oven.

• Janet
    12 years ago

We just built a second home and I spent many hours reading about and looking at all of the more moderately priced gas ranges. I have a 48" Dacor that we've had to 12 years - love it - but bought a Frigidaire gas range for the cottage and it is surprisingly good. The burners are in a couple of different sizes - one small and one for a quick boil - there is an oval burner for a griddle in the middle. The oven heats really fast and no trouble at all baking. The racks don't feel as sturdy as the Dacor, and it seems a little bit less insulated, but all in all for a range under $100 I think it is a winner ! Frigidaire had consistently good reviews on their gas ranges.

• Janet
    12 years ago

Oops - that should have been "under $1000"

• clergychick
    12 years ago

We have a whirlpool gold five burner gas cooktop and I love it. It's been in use about two years and we've had no issues. The knobs are very heavy metal -- not plastic, and overall it feels solid. FWIW -- Amy

• msrose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

pheasantfarmer - I'm glad to hear about your Frigidaire. I spent alot of time looking and researching yesterday and I found a Fridgidaire I like the looks of. Of course, I don't want to pick something just based on the looks. I want it to be reliable. It's so hard, because it seems like the majority of appliances don't get good reviews when you look at them on the store websites.

• dfpotterri
    12 years ago

I've had that Frigidaire 5-burner range for just over 2 years now and it's great. I had a Viking dual fuel in my last house which I hated- the Frigidaire heats water faster and bakes more evenly. It doesn't have the cool "professional style" but it is stainless steel and looks just fine. I'd buy another in a heartbeat. It was a touch over $1000.