Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homebodymom

New paint is up- questions about island and fabrics-pic

homebodymom
14 years ago

Hi everyone,

The new paint it up and no more neon green!!! Thanks to all for helping me choose. I went with the olive 4 from Laura Ashley and love it.

The crown moulding is up on the cabinet, although we dont have it stained yet. Hopefully this coming week, it will be stained ( same color as cabinets) and the paint finished above the sliding glass door. Once the backsplash is done (white subway tiles) the kitchen will be done except for.....

the island

should I paint it black? Any other suggestions

Now fabrics for the chair cushions and slider

I thought I wanted to use black and white toile for both, but am rethinking this. I need some HONEST feedback please. I still want to use the toile on kitchen chairs, but I am not sure for sliders in family room. I have found another fabric that I like, maybe better. If I dont use the toile in the family room, can I still use it on the chairs in the kitchen? Here are pics of both. Sorry the sample of toile is so small. What does everyone think about these 2 choices?

Thanks to everyone for all of your help!

Comments (13)

• hartwood
    14 years ago

I thought your island WAS finished ... it looks good just the way it is to me. Nice wall color, too.

Connie

• rj56
    14 years ago

Even though the toile is traditional, the black and white with the green gives an updated traditional look to me as opposed to the jacobean floral. But, both are nice.

• debbie1031
    14 years ago

The olive is gprgeous! You must be thrilled! I vote for a black island- it will go so nicely with all of your accents from the tole tray to the picture frames to the wire basket/tray. And for the same reasons- the toile. You are a very good example of buying what speaks to you and having it all eventually come together like you planned it that way. Great job!

• angieshell
    14 years ago

Love, Love,Love your wall color. I really like the fabric that is the brown with flowers. With having the green and leather fabric I would stay more towards earth tone colors for your fabric.I don't know if I would paint the island black with you having light cabinets and white appliances. What about painting your island a little darker green than you have on the walls. Please post pics when you finish. I always love to see the final results. Good Luck.

• les917
    14 years ago

I like the new fabric very much - of course, I am a sucker for jacobean!

I don't care for the black and white toile with it, since the rooms are so open and connected to one another. How about doing a toile in an olive, or a paisley that has the greens and reds and browns of the jacobean? I just think the black and white is too stark and too different from everything else in the space.

As for the island, I suggested black before, when you were thinking of the black toile. Now, I would do a rusty red.

• msrose
    14 years ago

I love the toile, but I don't think it goes with your living room. The jocobean is a much better fit. If you're still going to use the toile in the kitchen, I would paint the island black.

Laurie

• scanmike
    14 years ago

I love the color. Glad you picked that one! I am liking the Jacobean pattern better but maybe I just need to see it up against the sliders. I agree about finding a toile in a different color perhaps. I think I would paint the island black.

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

I would try to find a dark background check for both the slider and the chairs;
    your decor is very lively and I think the jacobean print would be too much pattern to add. I can see why you're attracted to it, it combines all your colors perfectly, which is why, imho, it's too predictable and busy.

• User
    14 years ago

I think that jacobean print looks perfect- like it belongs there.
    I think everything looks great- and the color of the island works better with this wall color - but I still think if you are receptive to painting it, a different color would be better. I like Les' idea about a reddish color.

• haley_comet
    14 years ago

Homebodymom I just wanted to say you did a wonderful job with the paint. The color is fabulous and soooooo much better then what you had. Great job!

• homebodymom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks to everyone for taking a look and sharing ideas! The island is kind a "minty" green. The monitor can throw colors a bit. Although I loved it with the pale yellow walls I had originally, it is clashing IRL :)

I am really loving the paint too. We went with a washable matte finish, and it feels totally different from satin paint we used previously. It almost looks like fabric on the walls.

Ok- onto the fabric....I love both fabrics. Here are my concerns/ideas. I like the unexpectedness (is that a word?) of the toile and the way it "pops" next to the olive walls. But for some reason- I am not sure. At the moment(ha ha) I tend to be leaning towards the Jacobean ( didn't know thats what it was called- just liked the pattern) but was a bit concerned about it being too busy on both the cornince and panels. When I found it at the store, I went back to the toile prints and found a nice muted brown/green that works with it that I could use for the kitchen chairs.

One more time - how about these options (please bare with me!)

1. Remove the cornice, and use just panels of the Jacobean or Toile
    2. Cover the cornice, AND use panels with the same Jacobean fabric-
    3. Cover the cornice with the Jacobean print and use solid panels of coordinating color
    4. remove fabric from the cornice, have DH stain it to match wall unit and table, add some interesting mouldings, and then add Jacobean or toile panels underneath?

If I go with the Jacobean fabric I love the idea of rusty red for the island. Do you think it might look like Christmas ?
    Going away for 2 days- no internet access, so will check back Monday morning. Thanks again for everyone for the suggestions and being so helpful. You guys are the best!

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

#4 though I'd choose the Jacobean fabric or the brown and green toile. More stained wood would look wonderful in your family room.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Forgot to mention I'd go with a brownish-red for your island though a brown to match the background of the fabric would look nice too.