Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bicyclegirl1

scratches in toilet after snake

bicyclegirl1
10 years ago

I've been posting on the Kitchen & Appliance forums for quite awhile, but this is my 1st post on plumbing. I hope you can help me with my problem.

My toilet stopped up a few days ago & I tried to plunge with no success. Called my plumber to come fix the problem while I was out of town. He came over & apparently snaked it. The inside of my toilet is scratched up pretty badly. There are 2 scratches at the bottom where the tube(?!) goes down. One is about the size of a dime & the other about 1/2 of that. It looks like debris at the bottom of my toilet! Yuk! At 1st I thought it was leaves or debris that I brought in w/ my plunger, which was out in the garage. But, when it wasn't going down, I realized it was scratches. It's a Kohler that matches my sink. It's not a very old toilet & I'm not wanting to replace it. I'm working on my kitchen & a new toilet is not in my budget. Is there something I can do to make these go away? If there's nothing that can be done, should I make him buy me a new one? I like this guy & hate to have a bad experience w/ him, but this is unacceptable. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

I'll try to take some pics later, but right now I don't have a camera that's working.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Comments (12)

• pima74
    10 years ago

Turn off the water to the toilet and flush it. Then put some comet/bartenders friend or the like on sponge or rag and lightly scrub the offending marks. Porcelain is pretty hard so it probably isn't surface scratched but the metal of a toilet snake will leave surface marks on it.

• gwarstong
    10 years ago

Ditto azbound....likely surface-only and will come off easily with bartender's friend. Don't use comet...too abrasive, IMHO. Hardware stores also have small abrasive sheets designed for the purpose.

• bicyclegirl1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to both of you! If that's all it is, I'll be thrilled. I have barkeepers friend & comet, but will only use the barkeeper, in hopes this works. I used to have a porcelain sink in the kitchen & I loved it because it was so easy to take care of. I should have known this would work the same way. I will give you a follow up after I try it & let you know the results.

Thank you very much.

• gwarstong
    10 years ago

Thanks for coming back. Few people do.

I would like to learn results of whatever you do.

• BreakerOff
    10 years ago

It could just be rust from the steel auger. Every time I use my auger I have to put around 1/4 cup of Super Iron Out powder in the bowl and let it soak. Don't close the toilet seat. The odor is strong. If barkeeper friend doesn't work, give this a try.

Here is a link that might be useful: Super Iron Out powder

• bicyclegirl1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks breakeroff. I finally got to emptying the water out of the tank & taking the barkeepers friend to it today. It didn't seem to get it all, so I went for the Comet. It pretty much took care of the scratches, for the most part, but I can still see a little of it. However, if you don't know it's there, you'd never see them. I'll keep Super Iron Out powder in mind in case something like this happens again & good ole Comet doesn't do the job!

As usual, fellow GW'ers come to my rescue. So glad to be a part of this community! Thank you again everyone!

• Pal Oma
    3 years ago

I had the same problem recently. Toilet stopped up, called plumber, they had to use that metal auger and left the toilet bowl with an amazing amount of metal scratches -- it looks awful. What would you recommend for major scratches?

• dadoes
    3 years ago

Keep the lid closed. :-)

• Sharon Fitzpatrick
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Use Pumice Cleaning Stone with Handle Toilet Bowl Cleaner (Amazon). My plumber used this to remove all the scratches from snaking device.

• Janet Duval
    2 years ago

Thanks, it worked. First pumice, then baking soda, finally powdered cleanser rubbed in with a cloth. (Toilet bowl drained first.)

• edwardo
    last year

I didnt see it mentioned, but the plumber (or whomever is unclogging the toilet) should be uding a closet auger, not a regular snake. The closet auger has a protective sleeve that is supposed to prevent the auger/snake pirtion from scratching the toilet.

Closet auger on YouTube