Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stargirl_gw

How Do You Dress Your Bed for Summer?

stargirl
13 years ago

Just wondering how you dress your bed for summer. I have removed all the heavy winter bedding and am looking for ideas to dress our bed for the warmer months ahead. Do you have ideas to share, or do you have inspirational pictures? I'd love to hear what types and colors of bedding and accessories you use to achieve a summery look in your bedroom. Thanks!

Comments (24)

• forhgtv
    13 years ago

I replace my wool blanket with a cotton quilt. I change my winter duvet cover which features reds to one that features blues and greens. I put away the duvet and use a down blanket inside the duvet cover instead. I change out the winter pillow shams and bed skirt for lighter, lacier ones. Of course, I put away the darker colored sheets and get out the lighter colored ones.

Later, when it gets very warm, I will completely remove the duvet cover, down blanket and quilt and use a lightweight coverlet in their place. I also switch from cotton to linen sheets. I don't use air conditioning so it's important to have the coolest bedding possible during the warmest months.

• natal
    13 years ago

I don't change with the seasons, but I LOVE this look from Linensource.

Here is a link that might be useful: Santorini Quilt

• stargirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I appreciate your ideas, forhgtv, and the quilt is lovely, natal. I'm considering doing something and I'm wondering if the end results will make the room look girly. The bed is on an angle and I plan to dress it in a white matelasse coverlet. I will use turquoise sheets and pull the coverlet back a bit to reveal them and the turquoise pillow cases. I have a large waterscape which has several shades of blues, including turquoise. It is a beautiful picture of sailboats dotting the water of a tropical beach and you can see houses on cliffs in the background. There is a touch of mango in the picture and just looking at it makes me feel calm and peaceful. Since the bed is on an angle, there is a triangular space behind the bed, and I need something there. I have white mosquito netting -- one of the round canopy types. Would this work there or, as I said, will it be too girly? I think I want a breezy, summery look and I'm not sure how to achieve it.

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

I don't change my bedding, just my thermostat.

• forhgtv
    13 years ago

It sounds lovely, stargirl. I don't think mosquito netting is particularly feminine, especially if your furnishings are dark wood.

• stargirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Actually, forhgtv, the bed and vanity dresser are in a medium-tone wood. The bed is antique (belonged to my grandmother) and it has posts, but not tall ones -- about 3/4 of the way up. I will use white panels at the wide window. I have no idea what accessories to use. Any suggestions? I love combining bright colored sheets with the white matelasse coverlet. I have a set of mango sheets that I've used in previous years. I have throw pillows which I've used with the mango sheets. They have a black background and a print of lush green ferns, and a touch of mango. But, since I have that beautiful waterscape, I've decided to use the turquoise sheets. But, as I said, I have no idea what accessories to use.

• stargirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just noticed the post about Breezy West Indies style. I'll check out the pictures there.

• forhgtv
    13 years ago

You might consider one/some accessory pillows with a texture similar to these that I've linked.

Here is a link that might be useful: Natural Woven Pillows

• stargirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, forhgtv. What unique pillows. I do think I need something with texture.

• igloochic
    13 years ago

I reduce the doggie foot prints by about 50% because there is less mud for him to bring in lol

I actually go to soft golds, killing the big down comforter in exchange for a down blanket. Someday I'll have linen drapes instead of the heavy burgundy ones we sport now but my lazy seamstress is really slow! (that would be me btw).

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

No big decor changes here, just mechanical ones.

Winter:
    - heated mattress pad
    - flannel sheets
    - thin quilt
    - blanket at foot of bed to be pulled over us if really cold.

Summer:
    - regular mattress pad
    - crisp cotton sheets
    - same thin quilt

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

forhgtv, those PB crochet pillows are really scratchy but I really like the way they look.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

I have a red linen PB duvet and accoutrements that stay on the bed fall/winter. When the weather warms up I switch out the bed to a pale green matelasse and shams. I some natural cotton quilted shams with both sets. I do change blankets and sheets are flannel in winter.
    I have an ivory and a mink faux fur throw and use the ivory one now. It's spring here.

• stargirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

When you guys change out your bedding for the summer, do your pictures, accessories, etc., still work? The pictures I use won't work with summer bedding, meaning that I must switch them out as well as the accessories.

• forhgtv
    13 years ago

I don't change out my art, but I do change out some of the accessories.

• User
    13 years ago

I have a question forhgtv: where do you get your linen sheets? I checked Google and came up with a couple places. Not sure who is best though as I have never purchased real linen bed linens. Would appreciate any tips ...sorry to hijack ! c

• rosesstink
    13 years ago

I change from flannel sheets, fleece blanket, quilt and comforter to cotton sheets and quilt. My summer sheets are pale yellow and the quilt is yellow and white. The winter stuff includes navy blue so the switch to just yellow and white lightens things up. Both yellow and navy "go" with the rest of the room so nothing else gets changed.

I don't keep decorative pillows or throws on my bed so I suppose some wouldn't consider it "dressed". ;-)

• Oakley
    13 years ago

I change mine out twice a year. The only extra accessory I add to the room in summer is a nice vase of silk flowers.

I'm a quilt person, so I change colors with them. Now this year is a different story.

I acquired (for free) a coverlet in perfect condition and it seems like it's made of two very soft sheets with a thin layer of batting in the middle. It was quilted in vertical lines, and it has the faintest pastel stripes on it.

Does it stand out? Nope. But by golly That's all I'll use this summer! lol. I have a folded blanket at the foot of the bed for cooler nights.

I am a surprise bed person. Meaning when you turn down the sheets you'll never know what funky pattern I have on there! I love playing around with fitted sheets and pillow cases because I don't use flat sheets. I'm a sloppy sleeper and get too hot. :)

• Sueb20
    13 years ago

You people! I was not planning to change my bedding until I read this. Then I looked at my bed and thought, hmm, this red quilt is really more for fall/winter... not spring/summery at all... you've probably just cost me a few hundred dollars.

Oakley, that is funny, all 3 of my kids refuse to use a top sheet... I thought they were the only ones!

• stargirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm glad this thread picked up a bit. I'm enjoying all your comments and ideas. Do you mind revealing the source for your yellow quilt, rosesstink?

• forhgtv
    13 years ago

Trailrunner, I've purchased my linen sheets in two places. The first is eBay. I've found some well-priced Ralph Lauren linen sheets there. You can also find antique linen sheets from France on eBay, but they are too pricey for me. The second is a local store called Juxtaposition. I've linked their website below.

I've never purchased from Williams-Sonoma Home, but I know that they also have linen sheets.

Here is a link that might be useful: Juxtaposition

• User
    13 years ago

thank you for the suggestions forhgtv. The shop Juxtaposition looks wonderful. My daughter will be in Newport beach for business over Easter...I will ask her but I am pretty sure she is going to be way too busy to shop :)

Will check ebay and see what I see. Thanks again . c

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Sue, I used to use a top sheet all the time, but the older I get, the hotter I get at night. ;) My dh is the same way though. We both leave a leg out and when I'm tossing and turning those blasted top sheets get in the way! Only drawback is I have to wash more often, but I never use anything heavy, I layer in the winter time.

And Sue, you can buy really nice summer weight quilts and blankies for under a $100.

What saves me money though is I don't use decorative pillows on my bed. I either have the pillows tucked under the quilt (in a nice way) or I have matching pillow cases to the quilt.

• busybee3
    13 years ago

redid our master this summer/fall...changed our bedding and the new comforter is clearly going to be too hot for me in the summer---ordered a thin RH quilt for the bed that was 75% off it's usual $399 price...haven't slept with it---hoping it's the right weight! will use our usual shams/pillows, etc.
    and, i will change out our incredibly soft flannel sheets-new this year and are THE NICEST flannel i've ever had!