Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mollyavalon_gw

Exercising an energetic dog?

mollyavalon
17 years ago

We adopted a mixed breed (definitely part herding dog) last week. Buster is 1-2 years old and very energetic. He's also sweet and friendly and smart. However, he's driving our old dog crazy, and I'm trying to come up with ways to keep him busy.

Frozen stuffed Kongs keep him happy for a while, as do rawhide chews, but I need a way to run him around. I can't run as fast or as much as he needs. And when we go walking in our woods and fields I've been keeping him on a leash so he will quit trying to herd old Sparky, nipping at his heels and "armpits".

He isn't interested in balls or Frisbees. I hope to do some agility training with him, but I don't know enough yet. He starts obedience training next week.

So do any of you have suggestions for other ways to tire him out? We live in the country, so I have lots of room.

Comments (7)

• chelone
    17 years ago

All I can say is "hang in there!". You're at the worst part of adoption when it comes to an older dog. Your new dog has the need for exercise but without any understanding of basic obedience it isn't wise for you to allow him off leash just yet. I remember it well!!

Set aside an hour-two each day for a long "walkie" WITHOUT the other dog! I didn't have another dog in the equation, but let me tell you I was SO TIRED at the end of week one I thought I'd drop. Rex and I walked and walked. And I taught him "sit", "down", "stay". I used those commands when I needed a rest, lol.

There is nothing like simple walking on leash to build a bond with your new dog. Really. It sounds so simple, and on one hand it IS, but on the other hand it takes commitment and dedication to devote 1-2 hours/day to your dog. I found the time required for the DOG'S benefit was actually a blessing in diguise for me. When we're out together there is no room for anything else in my mind... it's the way I used to feel when I'd swim laps in a pool... . Now, I love walking Rex! he is obedient enough to play ball and burn off excess energy before we set out and I can even allow him off leash after we've done the "obedience thing" for some time, but I have to be cautious and prudent about when and where.

Buy some comfortable shoes, put some treats in your pocket, a doo-doo baggie/two in your rear pocket, and go out for an hour in the morning (if you can) and an hour/two in the afternoon/evening. "Runnin' with the pack" is what builds strong bonds and gives you insight into the personality of the new dog in your home.

The first few months will be the toughest, don't give up!

• mazer415
    17 years ago

You can teach the younger dog to LEAVE IT, with regard to the older dog while you are on walks. Here is my suggestion, get yourself a pretty long lead 8-10 footer. As soon as your young dog starts bothering the older dog, a quick jerk and release on the leash/choke collar and a firm LEAVE IT. Your dog will test this, because your dog is a herding dog and is doing what comes naturally. My best suggestion, find a group in your area of herding dogs, and get involved in the trials the put on, your dog will get the work out it needs, and the older dog can have more peace. NOTE - Even with a good worout elsewhere, teaching that younger dog to leave the older dog alone is paramount. Herding dogs are taught to leave sheep as well as to nip at them - again, get involved with those around you with herding dogs, they need a strong personality in their owners, lots of walkies or running around and consistency(most important), but you can do it. Keep us posted please.

• chelone
    17 years ago

"Leave it!" is one of my favorite commands. Right along with "Wait!" (more effective for me than "watch me"); and "Watch me"... I still struggle with the latter. Make sure you drill that one into the new dog's head!!!

Dogs are really "quick studies", IF you make it clear that compliance is the freeway exit to love, praise, affection. Every time Rex does what he's been commanded he is praised. Every time. What I command is "easy", once it's done, there's praise. Every time!

• bean_counter_z4
    17 years ago

Here are some observations from the owner of a very high-energy border collie. I can tell you life will never be the same. A lot of people think physical exercise is the answer. It helps, but fortunately it isnÂt the only answer. These dogs are very intelligent. They need stimulation for their minds as much as for their bodies.

Whenever you walk your dog, donÂt just walk. Run thru all the commands you know and keep teaching more. Heel, sit, down, stay, come, over and over and over again. Keep the dogÂs mind engaged and focused on you. At home keep this up. I have taught my dog the most ridiculous tricks to keep her mind off getting into mischief. Crawl, bang-youÂre-dead, find-the-liver-treat, catch-the-liver-treat, long down-stays. She learned to walk a plank above the ground, to jump obstacles, to find hidden objects. YouÂll find your older dog trying to get into the act too. Hyper dogs do get quieterÂwhen theyÂre about 10.

• girlwithaspirin
    17 years ago

Maybe he's not interested in balls or frisbees, but what about a bait bag? You stuff it with treats, then throw it. If you teach him to fetch, and he learns that he gets a treat every time he brings it back, he might be more interested.

• quirkyquercus
    17 years ago

I tought my more energetic dog this command: "Go run!"
    He loves to run around the yard at the speed of light. We could go on a 3 mile walk come back eat dinner and be ready to run again. So one day he was running around the yard and then I treated him and said "Goood Run!" and whirled my fingers in a circular motion. Then said "Go Run" cue the fingers. He didn't understand it but soon started running again. "Yeah Good run!" Treat. "Go run!".
    It took a few days then the penny dropped. After 5-10 minutes of this he's worn out and ready to take a nap. If you can't catch him running then start a game of chase to get him running.
    He won't do it in the house which is good for most people except I want him to do it in the house (big basement) so he can do it on a rainy day

Speaking of games if you've got a good sized house with lots of hiding places I like hide & seek. Basically you distract the dog by throwing a treat or toy then running and hiding then calling the dog. When he finds you he gets a treat. If you have stairs this is good physical excercise too in addition to mental stimulation it reinforces the come command. You can also practice sit-stay with it too.

• mollyavalon
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I am in awe of all the excellent suggestions. "Go run" is a swell idea. We have a big sand pile out back left over from some landscaping. Buster and I walked past it, and then he went nuts, running up and down, playing king of the mountain, digging like a maniac. He did it for 5-10 minutes. Today my husband took him out there and he did it again. So we can use that with a command too. Also, my husband took him for a walk in the woods and gave him a bunch of commands. Buster loved it. He is really smart.

Last night I was totally demoralized. Buster picked a fight with old Sparky when Sparky was lying under DH's chair being patted. Then at bedtime Buster ran Sparky off his own bed in our bedroom. (Buster sleeps in a crate in another room.) I thought "He's culling the pack of the old one." And I thought we'd have to find another home for him. I wouldn't return him to the shelter - he'd been there for a while when we got him, and so we'd look for a home for him ourselves. Today, though, he's been just fine. We're trying to praise him every time he behaves himself around Sparky.

I look forward to starting obedience training. We haven't trained a dog for 13 years, and we weren't terribly consistent with it even then. With this guy it's clear that we have to be totally consistent.

I also contacted some people who do private training. I did a phone consultation with another trainer the other night, but we need to SEE how to do it.

(The woman on the phone said something I'd read in the Dog Whisperer book - "do not allow your dog to do X". I need more information than that. Do not allow him? How is it done? What happens when he does X again immediately? I didn't think at the time to ask for more information. She did give me some helpful suggestions, though, like giving him a command "calm" every time we haul him off Sparky, or redirecting him with a toy. This last one doesn't work on a walk in the woods, however.)

Thank you all for your comments. This forum is an excellent resource for me. I'll keep you posted on Buster's progress.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!