Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jsceva

Ideas for odd-shaped kitchen with awkward low window?

jsceva
13 years ago

Wondering if anyone has any good ideas on how to handle an awkward corner of my kitchen. I apologize in advance but I haven't figured out a way to do an accurate postable layout, so I will try to describe and it may not be clear..will try my best.

The basic shape of the kitchen is an upside down, flipped L with the to right corner cut off at an angle of approximately 30 degrees or so. There are three doorways, one of which is on the angle wall. That doorway leads into an office space. The space is pretty small; the longest wall, on the right, is slightly less than 9 feet long.

There are two related issues I am struggling with, on which I am open to suggestions. They are (1) in general how to deal with the office doorway, both practically (maintaining ease of access) and aesthetically (making it look not weird), and (2) how to deal with a large low window that takes up the right half of the "top" wall, starting only about 30" off the floor.

Currently, There are typical counters (standard height and depth) on both the top and right walls, with the right hand wall ending about a foot before the opening and the one on the top wall only about half the length of the wall. It actually overlaps part of the window frame, which honestly looks kind of bad. That counter is the sole plumbing area, where the sink is and the dishwasher will need to go.

The obvious thing to do is to keep this same arrangement, but to shorten the top wall cabinet so that it no longer covers any of the window frame. This would be simple and look good, but I already have less counter than I would like and it would significantly decrease my sink options.

Sooooo...does anyone have any alternative suggestions? Does anyone think it would look good to end the right hand run with an angled or triangular cabinet? Or have any suggestions on a way to cover part of the window without it looking weird? I have seen some kitchens where counters fully cover a window, but never just half of one.

For now, please assume the window can't be raised...I am looking into that, but for now assume the answer is no.

Thanks in advance, and I again apologize for how confusing my description probably is.

Comments (8)

• Fori
    13 years ago

I have a window about that height--I think it was supposed to be a little eat-in part of the kitchen. I used it as an excuse for a baking center, which is just regular cabinetry that happens to be a little low.

Would a multi-level kitchen work for you? Low areas are great for chopping, rolling cookies, kneading dough, places for kids to work, etc.

I think you need to draw me a picture, or take some photos.

• jsceva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am going to try to take some pics later, then post them.

I would be ok with a lower area, maybe, but in this case if it was normal depth it would have to be a foot or less wide to avoid blocking the doorway into the office...you'll see better when the picture goes up.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Hi Jsceva,

Can you take some pictures and post them?
    That would bring out the creative minds and comments
    on how to work the space.
    One person (It may have been Willow) turned a small
    office doorway into an office/ butler's pantry combo and
    it looks perfect.
    I will post a couple ideas of what to do with the
    windows. Looking forward to seeing your pictures so I can
    really help with ideas.
    ~boxer

Bucks County Soapstone
    In this image a sink was lowered to window height
    which makes a beautiful statement without taking out the
    windows.

You could lower the counter like in this Houzz image
    to create an indoor garden. Again keeping your window

Window seats like this Icicle house blog

Manor House

• Fori
    13 years ago

I'm thinking how wet I'd get with that lowered sink--I get plenty soaked with regular height protecting most of me. :) That's not even wheel chair friendly!

We definitely need pictures and some measurements.

• jsceva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK...I have uploaded some pics to Flickr set at the attached link. I tried and failed to figure out how to post a picture as part of this message, so if anyone wants to explain it to me, feel free :)

Please excuse the mess in the sink.

As you will see, the problem is leaving room for accessing the office. I put down a measuring tape in one pic, it's hard to read but the length of the window wall there from the current counter end is about 3.5 feet.

I originally thought "window seat" myself, but realized that a seat of any length would cause problems. Same for a sink, etc. One thought I have is to do a short lower cabinet area ending in a curve or angle?

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of kitchen

• jsceva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK...I have uploaded some pics to Flickr set at the attached link. I tried and failed to figure out how to post a picture as part of this message, so if anyone wants to explain it to me, feel free :)

Please excuse the mess in the sink.

As you will see, the problem is leaving room for accessing the office. I put down a measuring tape in one pic, it's hard to read but the length of the window wall there from the current counter end is about 3.5 feet.

I originally thought "window seat" myself, but realized that a seat of any length would cause problems. Same for a sink, etc. One thought I have is to do a short lower cabinet area ending in a curve or angle?

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of kitchen

• dee850
    13 years ago

That is a tough layout. Maybe a shallow bookcase under the window? How wide is the space from countertop to countertop there in the walkway shown in the second photo? I'd be concerned that any standard depth addition under the window, even one that angles or curves, might narrow that space too much.

• jsceva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have posted a couple of pics of the scale floorplan I drew up. with measurements noted...

Here is a link that might be useful: measurements