Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jalsy6

Help with glass knob size decision!

jalsy6
13 years ago

Okay, so I'm at the doorstep of deciding on hardware, which is the last portion of this remodel that is actually in my control...I have cream cabs, soapstone, and will have marble backsplash, so I'm going for classic with RH gilmore pulls and their traditional clear glass knobs in PN. Question is, 1" or 1 1/4 "???? 1" seems too small...but the bigger seem too big. Aaahhh! My uppers are 30" high, so not huge. See pics of each, and any GW wisdom would be awesome. I'm stuck. The upper 2 shots are 1", lower are 1 1/4", on my sample door.

Comments (18)

• L H
    13 years ago

I prefer the 1" and it might be the picture, but I prefer the refraction of the crystal of the 1" to the 1 1/4". It will be a very lovely, classic look!

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

I think the 1.25" are too big. I don't think the one inch looks too small. Great knobs and ss. Can't wait to see it all done.

• 2golftoday
    13 years ago

I think the 1 inch ones look beautiful. Can't wait to see the final pics :)

• crazydiygal
    13 years ago

My vote is for the 1"!

• jalsy6
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the input! I was leaning toward the 1" and Gemini I agree about the glass-it's a nicer knob I think. The bigger one is amerock in brushed nickel finish. That could have something to do with the refraction of the light. We have lots of odds and ends to do, but hopefully I'll get finished pix up eventually!

• jalsy6
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the input! I was leaning toward the 1" and Gemini I agree about the glass-it's a nicer knob I think. The bigger one is amerock in brushed nickel finish. That could have something to do with the refraction of the light. We have lots of odds and ends to do, but hopefully I'll get finished pix up eventually!

• jalsy6
    Original Author
    13 years ago

• jalsy6
    Original Author
    13 years ago

• jalsy6
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Somehow my post keeps getting posted again and again. Strange, and what a gw fool I look like!

• kellykath
    13 years ago

Hi jalsy6 - well, just to confuse you - I am one of those people that tries to follow my gut instinct of what "I" really like. Personally I like a "heavier/beefier" look to most things when I think about it -so I chose larger glass knobs on all my upper cabinets. This might make people think I went overboard here but I actually used 1 3/4 glass (small wardrobe) knobs on my uppers. I felt that with my 10 ft. kitchen ceiling with box beams my cabs could handle the larger knobs. I think they look great and they don't look too big. Realistically, there are many handles/pulls with larger profiles that would be just as "eye catching" so I went with larger "knob" style. I knew for both my husband and I, the larger knob would "feel" better in our hands and my husband did not want anything small and as he would say "dainty" in the kitchen. Going with larger pulls was our personal preference. My contractor however said they would look like "hockey pucks" which worried me . . . temporarily. Especially after I had already purchased them. I decided to stick to my guns and get what "I" liked and as soon as they were up I knew I had made the right choice. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the look, even on my smaller upper display cabinets they look great. I also used chrome pulls on the lower cabs from a different mfg. Stick to what YOU like. Hope this is helpful. I look forward to sharing my pics in the near future as I was a "lurker" for quite some time.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I like the 1" better. I think the polished nickel does make it look more sparkly than the brushed. Just picture that the polished alone reflects while the brushed doesn't. Even if the rest of your kitchen is brushed, the metal on these is on the back part, so go for shiny for maximum bling ;)

• jalsy6
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kellykath- that's precisely what I'm afraid of, things looking not serious enough, I wish there were a 1 1/8th possibility, I feel like that would be perfect! Any way you can post a pic?

Sandn- very helpful to see pics...I find that my small sample door might be skewing the overall look. I might just have to have dh drill the holes and put one of each in each door...
    The agony of decisions!!!

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

That's a good idea to try each. I voted for the smaller based on your pics, but sandn's look good bigger!

• jalsy6
    Original Author
    13 years ago

yep. Totally torn, and so appreciative of all the input! I'll post pictures when I manage to try both on the actual cabinets vs. The sample door.

• kimkitchy
    13 years ago

I agree that it is a good idea to try one of each and see what you think. I got the 1 1/4 inch RH hexagonal glass knobs with BN shanks and I think that they are "just right". YMMV

• kellykath
    13 years ago

jalsy6 sorry I have not been back to this sight. Have you made your decision or would you still like me to take some pics? Let me know - I know how this stuff can become sooooo time consuming if not confusing. I would be happy to post a pic or two. I have white cabinetry with Black granite perimeter counters with a white marble island.

• spider96
    13 years ago

We also went with bigger knobs- ours are 1 1/2 inch all over our kitchen. I haven't posted pictures yet, but will soon. I also prefer the "chunkier" look, and our cabinet doors are all wide. From the pictures you are posting of your door, I think either of your choices would work.