Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scanmike_gw

Looking for a more sophisticated green for bedroom

scanmike
14 years ago

Hi all,

I am still reconsidering painting my bedroom a deeper, more sophisticated green. I have BM Fernwood green, which is nice, but sometimes I feel it can be too pastely. I want something more soothing without being dull and lifeless/drab. I am considering BM Olive Branch, BM Dry Sage, SW Svelte Sage. I guess I am leaning to the greyish greens. No brown greens since they go brown in the mostly western light. EK's Edgewood green did just that. Thought about Farrow and Ball Verte de Terre, but it's beautiful but more blueish green. My bedding would go better with the more olivey or grey toned greens. I also considered some beautiful blues like the Farrow and Ball blue greens, Paladian Blue, EK Oasis, etc. but I think I would tire of blue and it is a bit too cool for me sometimes(besides I wouldn't be able to use some of my quilts) . So I am still undecided and if anyone has pics, I would appreciate it. I have wild dark chery furniture, wood moldings and a pretty large room with good light. EK Ashen green also reads more blue, though I love the fs paints.

here's one photo with my old, but still used bedding. It's RH and unfortunately the outer edge faded out on the quilt part. You can see the pillow shams are the original sagey green color. Bummer, I should have complained more. But in person, you don't really notice it. I also have a beautiful summer toile quilt in colors similar to the Svelte Sage that I also use. The photo is making the green bedding look more brown than it really looks like in person.

here's my new spring bedding, which brought in more blue. The Fernwood green is more green and not yellowish as it shows here in the photo.

Comments (13)

• graywings123
    14 years ago

Ellen Kennon Tulip Leaves looks good with browns:

• lmcal
    14 years ago

I painted my bedroom BM Vale Mist... I LOVE it. It's a very soothing gray/green. I can take a pic if you'd like.
    LM

• megsy
    14 years ago

BM Hampshire Gray

• kyjo
    14 years ago

scanmike I believe we have crossed paths before.
    I was in a dilemma and could'nt decide between BM baby turtle or BM olive branch. If you remember I chose olive branch. Well I know it has'nt been that long but I already changed it to baby turtle. After living with it for awhile the OB was too dark. But I still wanted an olive tone just lighter.
    My spring and summer quilt is from linensource similar to yours its called Roussillon quilt and it has alot of blue in it. It looks amazing with the BT.
    I did get the BT mixed in Aura eggshell which makes it more vibrant. I painted two sample boards BT one with regal and the other aura. BIG difference. My husband thought it was two different colors.
    I ended up painting my adjoining master bath BM flowering herbs. This combo is a keeper. I dont plan on changing this for a long time. Well thats what I promised anyway lol.

• scanmike
    Original Author
    14 years ago

kyjo,

Lol, I can't believe you changed it already. That's something I would do too. Thanks so much for your input. I too am afraid OB will be too dark. How did you know to get it mixed in Aura eggshell? Will they mix me a quart?
    By any chance do you have a photo?
    graywings..EK was supposed to send me tulip leaves, but forgot it with my order. It looks so different in your room compared to other photos I have seen. I like it better in your room. Love your ceiling fan also.
    I actually had Vale Mist in my living room for the past 7 years. I loved the color but want something deeper for the bedroom.

• kyjo
    14 years ago

I can't believe I changed it either but I am glad I did.
    I was at the paint store and the woman in front of me was telling the paint guy how different and better colors were were mixed in aura. Being the paint freak that I am I had to highjack the conversation and pick her brain. She said she was an interior designer and been using BM paint for 15 years. She said she now only uses aura unless a client insists strongly on something else. She told me that the pigments in aura are like steroids for BM color. She finished with 'it just kicks it up a notch'.
    So with that I was sold and I purchased a quart. My paint store sold me a quart you might want to check on yours. Another thing is that the aura went a long way. The paint guy said it would take 3 gallons it only took 2 and thats with 2 coats. I still have alot in the can for touch ups.
    Sorry no photo.I am working/ researching on getting a camera. So maybe soon......

• scanmike
    Original Author
    14 years ago

kyjo,

From one paint freak to another...thanks for that info.
    Does it read green or brown in your room. I just painted my son's bedroom Ellen Kennon Edgewood green and it looks brown. It works in his room so it doesn't bother me, but I wouldn't want brown in my bedroom. Looking for that olivey color, only not as dark as OB.

• kyjo
    14 years ago

I can't believe I changed it either but I am glad I did.
    I was at the paint store and the woman in front of me was telling the paint guy how different and better colors were were mixed in aura. Being the paint freak that I am I had to highjack the conversation and pick her brain. She said she was an interior designer and been using BM paint for 15 years. She said she now only uses aura unless a client insists strongly on something else. She told me that the pigments in aura are like steroids for BM color. She finished with 'it just kicks it up a notch'.
    So with that I was sold and I purchased a quart. My paint store sold me a quart you might want to check on yours. Another thing is that the aura went a long way. The paint guy said it would take 3 gallons it only took 2 and thats with 2 coats. I still have alot in the can for touch ups.
    Sorry no photo.I am working/ researching on getting a camera. So maybe soon......

• susanilz5
    14 years ago

Take a look at BM Rosemary Sprig, a beautiful green which would look great with cherry furniture.

• hoyamom
    14 years ago

Scanmike - my EK Ashen Green reads more green than blue but I can see blue in it too. It looks great in my dining room with my cherry furniture. You've seen my pictures before.

• scanmike
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kyjo, thanks once again. I will give it a try.
    Hoyamom, I love your dining room. That's where I fell in love with Ashen. Maybe I will get a large swatch.
    susanilz5, I do have Rosemary Spring on my list as well. At least I am narrowing it down. I am in no rush since I will have to wait till after the wedding or maybe after the shower.

• kayec28
    14 years ago

Have you checked out the old favorite greens thread? Lots of great greens there. I've linked to it below.I'm sure there's more than one thread like this; you might try doing searches on green, green paint, etc.

I've also seen a lot of nice rooms using Laura Ashley olive colors(she has about 4 different olives in her paint collection). I also like Glidden's Safari Green,seen on the bench in this picture...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/younghouselove/3759199588/in/set-72157621843381602/

megsy, I love your bedding and those floaty white curtains. That's just what I'm looking for in my own bedroom. Do you mind if I ask where you got them?

Here is a link that might be useful: favorite greens

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!