Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
malhgold_gw

What Do You Think of this Frig Placement

malhgold
16 years ago

As you all know, I've been working hard on getting my layout to where I want it to be. I think this may work(in general terms). The layout here is not final, I am asking this question more about frig placement. The range will be somewhere on the outside wall(as shown) but may be further down. Depending on where the clean up sink goes, there will be a prep sink somewhere. Not certain of the 2 islands either.

So....the upper right corner vestibule of the kitchen leads to the Great Room. There will be a 42" door there and about 54" of total aisle space. I am planning a snack counter over there and am considering a SXS counter depth frig in that corner and that would be our main frig. I would then put a 24" frig in the main kitchen area that would either be all frig or frig/freezer built in with panels. This would serve as the food prep frig/freezer, while the other frig would basically hold breakfast, lunch and snack foods. Also to consider it that I am turning my formal DR(to the right of kitchen. Doorway to DR is south of the snack area) into a study and will be putting a 42" doorway from the DR into the Great Room. So if there is any sort of bottleneck in that snack area, someone could always go thru the DR.

My question is, do you think this would work and do you have an issue with having 2 different style frigs in 1 kitchen. I would love to do a built in over in the snack area, but can't justify the cost if I have the space for the CD and it all provides the same utility. Plus, it won't even be in full sight view unless you're standing in that snack area looking at it.

Thanks for looking!!!! Again!!!

Comments (7)

• rhome410
    16 years ago

I don't think the 2 styles of fridges is a problem. I find it a little difficult, so far anyway, with our separated fridges to decide what goes in which fridge...and your 'main' one seems a longer walk away if you need a splash of milk or something from that fridge in whatever you're cooking. So you'll need some duplication of contents or will do a lot of walking. Where will you eat dinner every night? It seems the bfast area fridge is a long way from the fireplace room when you use that table.

I would almost suggest moving the fridge to the kitchen end of the snack area, but can see why you'd want to leave the open counter toward that end, too.

• remodelfla
    16 years ago

Where's the pantry... be it cabinet or room?? I would think you'd want your main frig by the pantry/prep area.

I'm struggling with layouts too. I can't even post mine yet because I am forever changing everything around. Good luck with yours!

• celticmoon
    16 years ago

Interesting.

Two styles of fridges wouldn't bother me in the least, especially since one is practically in another room. I like the idea that snacks, beverages etc can be separate from the cook's perishable stores.

Like Rhome though, I wonder about perishables with dual roles, like milk, butter, mustard, etc. Do the snackers get those or the cook? Or would you have doubles?

• oruboris
    16 years ago

With a 54 inch walkspace, there should be room for people to pass with the frig door open: that is VERY important. I've lived with a layout where that wasn't possible, and it was a real hassle factor-- much worse than you'd think.

But I'm wondering what that space 'below' the frig [as your drawing is oriented] might be: Seems like the frig would be much nicer there, since it would be handier to both the dining and kitchen.

I certainly don't mind mismatched appliances. I think its a sign that you wanted the best of each type of appliance [best range, best DW, etc.], rather than just getting a good price on a package deal.

• malhgold
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oruboris: do you mean the long wall between the DR and the Foyer? Or do you mean the opening where the little scribble is that should read "DR"? Or, the rectangle I drew in that I was planning uppers and lowers?

As Rhome pointed out, probably the best spot would be further down that snack area, just above the DR opening and then the snack area oriented to the left of the frig. Maybe that's the way to go. Funny, that's where the frig was when we first moved into this house. Although the rest of the kitchen was different. I did think the open counter space would look more attractive on the south end. Although, if I sort of "frame in" the entire space with drywall, like a little nook, which I had been considering, it wouldn't really matter from a looks perspective where the frig was.

In terms of how I would split the items, veggies, meats, poultry and any frozen items I would consider to be used for dinner would be in the cooking area. Butter, milk and some condiments, possibly drinks for dinner, would probably have to be duplicated. If I did move the frig down, might not be as big of an issue.

Dinner will be in the room south of this layout, in the room with the fireplace that is not on this layout.

• malhgold
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bumping this up as I have a KD coming tomorrow and would like to have some conviction(for a change) about the layout.

Thanks so much!!

• malhgold
    Original Author
    16 years ago

bumping this up one last time for any last opinions. Found a great deal on a 36" built in KA bottom freezer refrigerator with right hand door swing. Based on door swing, the 2 potential spots in my mind are at the south end of where I have that counter depth frig shown(snack area), or at the east side of the short part of the "L". The first example is better for snack area use as the counter would be directly to the left. Negative is it might look "tight" in that aisle space.

Any last thoughts???