Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rockybird

Pool too narrow?

rockybird
12 years ago

I have the concrete poured for the pool and the coping and now I am worried the pool is too narrow! It's 60' x 14'. It was designed by an architect, who wanted it to be even narrower. There isnt much room in the back to have gone more than a couple feet wider if there is still to be a back deck, as there is a huge gulley farther out. I might have been able to bring it closer to the house. My father who just got back from a trip to Mexico told me this is the trend and trust the architect. It was meant to be a lap pool, but I didnt want to restrict it to that. Is this too narrow???

Comments (14)

• march2012
    12 years ago

too narrow for what? If it looks fine, then that would be the only thing I would worry about. Otherwise it is ok for sports, laps and general floating around. Anyway it looks like you are pretty far into it

• cmanley33
    12 years ago

I would have to agree with March2012. Looks good to me!

• rockybird
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you!!! I was looking at it yesterday and suddenly it looked so narrow to me, that I panicked. It helps to hear that you dont think it looks too narrow to be of any use for anything other than laps. Maybe I over-reacted!

• cmanley33
    12 years ago

You are welcome. I am also in the middle of a pool build in MD and have panicked, overreacted, freaked out myself on more than one occasion. It is a big project and I think it is normal to over think it. You are going to love it once it is done. Congrats!

• paradigmdawg
    12 years ago

Our pool is just 10' wide on one end and 16' on the other. That's all that would fit and no regrets what-so-ever. We have as many as 6 people per side for volleyball and it's just awesome.

• rockybird
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks cmanley! I havent been able to devote the time and thought to this pool as I should with work and remodeling the house at the same time. I worry that I will find I made mistakes that I will regret later.

paradigmdawg - your pool is beautiful! I love it. The landscaping around it is also very nice. It is good to hear that you can play sports with lots of people..

Thank you again! I do feel better. :)

• rockybird
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good luck with your pool build cmaley33! Hopefully, we will be proudly posting pics of finished pools before too long.

• ncrealestateguy
    12 years ago

It looks less than 60 feet long. Otherwise you'll be fine.

• brentr_gw
    12 years ago

You have plenty of room. Ours is 10 x 20 and 10 people are playing modified volley ball.

Here is 25 people in our pool, ages range from 4years to 70years. As you can see I have plenty more room for more people. We had a small party but not everyone wanted to participate in the group photo.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our pool build in Jacksonville

• rockybird
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much for the replies and the great pool pics. I feel so much better about this pool. :) LOL bentr - great looking and fun pool!

I think you are right c9pilot, once I get water in it (if I can EVER pick out tile!), it will look bigger.

Thanks ncrealestateguy. It doesnt look 60 feet, but it is for sure.

• houseful
    12 years ago

Oh my, 60 feet long?!? You'll have plenty of room. Nothing to worry about. It's going to be beautiful and I can't want to see the rest of your house on the Kitchen forum soon!!

• rockybird
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you houseful! I decided to make it a lap pool and it worked out nicely as at 60 feet the coping meets the decking that wraps around the house. They just finished installing the kitchen last week. I need to get back on the kitchen forum and post the pics.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• houseful
    12 years ago

Looking great! Yes, the TKO group will definitely want to see this!

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County