Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rudebekia

Weight Loss in Cat. Any thoughts on what this could be?

Rudebekia
15 years ago

My 13 year old cat had radiation therapy for hyperthyroidism one and a half years ago. He's been back to the vet twice since then (the last time in September for some dental work) and both times his blood analysis came back just find--the thyroid condition was completely cured. Now, over the last month, he seems to have lost a lot of weight. I have made a vet appointment for right after Christmas, but I really wonder what this might be. He doesn't seem to fit the profile of, for example, kidney disease. The ONLY thing that's changed is that he is suddenly very thin especially in the hind quarters, which have started to sink in like a very old bony cat. Otherwise, he's exactly his normal self. He LOVES food and his appetite is excellent, as it always has been. I've been feeding him more, and he eats every bit of what I give him. I almost never see him drink water, and this has not changed: there are no indications of increased thirst. He's hyper, as always, very playful, purring for hours on end, and he dashes around the house in play with his sister cat at least several times a day. His eliminations seem normal: no excessive pee, no diarrhea. The only thing I can think is that the hyperthyroidism has returned, but I thought radiation was supposed to be a complete cure, and, again, his bloodwork was just fine for more than a year after the treatment. Does anyone have thoughts on this? Thanks.

Comments (20)

• runsnwalken
    15 years ago

What kind of diet is the cat getting?

Innova Evo, Instincts,Orijen,Ziwi peak,are all good cat foods.

Dry food is probably what caused the dental issues, its false that vets say dry helps teeth, the pet food corps just say that to help make vets rich from the resulting teeth/dental care.

• Elly_NJ
    15 years ago

It could be lots of things, but the good appetite does suggest thyroid. Get to the vet asap.

• Meghane
    15 years ago

I doubt he's hyperthyroid again, the radioactive iodine treatment has a very high cure rate (approaches 95%). My guess would be cancer, but that's just a wild guess. Any time I see an animal with unexplained weight loss, it's on my list. Liver disease, infection of any organ, kidney disease (could be early, before the increase in water consumption and urination), heart disease, pretty much anything that causes an increased metabolic output can cause weight loss with normal appetite.

GENETICS is the cause of dental problems in cats, not food. Just like some people who brush and floss twice daily and go the dentist every 6 months and get cavities anyway, and someone like me brushes and never flosses and hasn't seen a dentist in years and never has a problem.

• quasifish
    15 years ago

Gosh, it could be so many things, couldn't it? Nobody has mentioned parasites yet, have they? You never know. My old girl was recently diagnosed and treated for giardia, which isn't something she's a prime candidate to encounter or catch.

I hope it's something simple with your kitty.

• Rudebekia
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your responses. I took Basil into the vet today; here's there now, and I'm anxiously awaiting a phone call to try to have a diagnosis. By the way, I misstated his age. He was born in spring 2001 (as far as I know--he was a rescue) so that makes him only 7 going on 8 years old. He had hyperthyroidism very early in age, at only 6. He eats quality catfood, but has had to have a number of teeth removed already and two dentals. And now this odd weight loss. Despite all these health matters, he's one of the most active, loving, and otherwise healthy cats I've ever known. I'm worried about him, of course. Odd that his litter mate, the calico Sally, is a little round tub of a cat who is 100% healthy and still has pristine teeth--had never been to the vet except for routine exams.

• Elly_NJ
    15 years ago

Good luck! Let us know what happens.

• Rudebekia
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I won't get the results from the blood test back until today. The vet did rule out diabetes, but unfortunately she said that all signs seem to point to a return of hyperthyrodism. If this is true, she says she's as baffled as I am because the radiation supposedly cures 98% of cases completely and forever. He'd have to endure it again, and the huge cost and long isolation is terrible for me and for him. She also found several new cavities (he had four teeth removed last September) and several new precancerous growths (he now has a total of 4 little lumps, on his lips and ears). Honestly, I am at my wit's end and don't know what to do. I've spent several thousand dollars on this cat since spring of 2007, and now am looking at more huge bills if all this work is done. I don't think I can do it. I spent all night wide awake and crying.

• laurief_gw
    15 years ago

I feel so sorry for you and your boy, but try not to become too overwraught until you know what you're dealing with. If the hyperT has returned, remember that I131 is not your only treatment option. It can be successfully managed (but not cured) in most cats with medication, and that requires a much smaller outlay of cash initially, although it would necessitate bloodwork every few weeks until you get the med regulated properly. It also wouldn't require any hospitalization or isolation.

I do hope you get some good news today.

Laurie

• Rudebekia
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well it is terrible news: he's hyperthyroid again and it is significantly worse than the first time around. I am flabbergasted that the first round, billed as a veritable "cure," did not work. The doctor told me that out of the 5000 or so cats he's treated with I-131, only three have been as young as my cat and only 12 needed retreatment. I cannot process all this at the moment. . .

• Elly_NJ
    15 years ago

So sorry.

Can't he go on meds for hyperthyroid?

• michelle_phxaz
    15 years ago

Oh, I am so sorry. I hope the vet can find a solution for you, you are a good kitty parent and I wish the best for your furbaby. Keep us updated, balance your stress out with the holiday cheer this week. Hugs to you and your furry boy.

• runsnwalken
    15 years ago

(Meg, she stated the cat has had dental work done-at 13 - this means cat was probably on kibble which causes dental issues because it is unnatural for feline jaws and teeth.)

Go to www.Felinefuture.com to learn more.

I think you should invest in better feeding now before more serous issues happen.- a 13 year old cat is really middle-to getting older age, like 56- 65 in human years, cats should live over 20- unless they are over bred or have birth defects- heart issues/ect..

13 -14 is "old" for house cats because 70% to 90% of pet cats eat, like people do in 3 world countries ( human rarely live to 50 in Africa for example)

• michelle_phxaz
    15 years ago

Runsnwalken, the cat is only 7 years old. I don't know where you got 13, do the math.

Born in 2001, it is now 2008, that equals 7 years in my book.

• laurief_gw
    15 years ago

I know where Runsnwalken got 13. He read the first five words posted to this thread, "My 13 year old cat ..."

• michelle_phxaz
    15 years ago

Runsnwalken, the cat is only 7 years old. I don't know where you got 13, do the math.

Born in 2001, it is now 2008, that equals 7 years in my book.

• runsnwalken
    15 years ago

, It said 13, Unless we're talking about another cat. I seem to recall in the begining- my 13 year old cat....

(If true) wow only 7 with these health issues, this is bad, I would really upgrade food and hope for the best

• michelle_phxaz
    15 years ago

Runsnwalken, you really need to bother to take the time to actually READ the posts. She stated in a later post "By the way, I misstated his age. He was born in spring 2001 (as far as I know--he was a rescue) so that makes him only 7 going on 8 years old."

• Rudebekia
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm the OP and yes, runsnwalken, I did mistake the cat's age in the first post but later corrected it in a subsequent post. I also want to assure you that my cat eats an excellent diet. I see from this and your other posts that you are very concerned about a good diet for pets, but I'm sure you are aware that not all illnesses are the result of diet alone. The sad news is that my cat is hyperthyroid again, after treatment two years ago. It happens, and it is not a result of diet or environment, as far as anyone knows. I have posted these results and asked some questions on a subsequent post about a second round of I-131.

• runsnwalken
    15 years ago

Could be getnetic