Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babushka_cat_gw

Backsplash v.1,000,000: what do you think of this one?

babushka_cat
12 years ago

ok, maybe i exaggerated a bit.... :)

thanks all for your assistance on my backsplash. here are the latest tiles under consideration (Graxia Melange Butter Blend 2.5"x5"). i like the painterly quality of these tiles and the light feeling. the tiles come in a blend of light and dark and a few are too mootled/dark for me so if i go with these i would buy extras and substitute out some of the tiles. i was planning on 3x6 so this smaller than planned. what do you think? does the movement in the tile plus smaller size make it too busy and compete with marble or is it ok? what do you think of the color?

and my little helper...

Comments (46)

• Mizinformation
    12 years ago

I think it's beautiful. And it goes with the cat, so decision is made! The darker tiles don't bother me -- the blend and variation is nice.

• docmamma
    12 years ago

I don't think it competes. It looks beautiful with the counters and cat!

• xc60
    12 years ago

It is gorgeous! Love your cabinets and granite.... and the backsplash finishes it and compliments the whole look. Very nice!

• Staceydux
    12 years ago

Love it. It blends perfectly with the countertops and the beautiful cat.

• badgergal
    12 years ago

Say yes to the tile!

• Gigi_4321
    12 years ago

I love it, but agree with you on the darker, more mottled tiles. If you put your hands up and isolate the right side with just the light tiles, you can see they look better than the ones in the center. Even though I've been anxiously awaiting your big reveal, I'm happy for you that you waited and didn't settle for something you didn't love just to get it done. What color grout will you use, white or close to the tile color? Your cat is such a ham! It looks like he's thinking, " I knew she'd come around and get tile that matches my fur, after all, it IS my kitchen"!

• babushka_cat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Babushka cats sister wanted to help too!

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

These...look puurrfect!!

• poohpup
    12 years ago

Beautiful combo. I wouldn't change out the darker tiles. They give interest to the BS. It really does look gorgeous.

• hilarymontville
    12 years ago

I love the tiles -- all of them. I would not take out the darker
    ones. They entire combo looks wonderful!

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Add me to the yes list! I'm so glad you found something that works! Ruffle those kitties' fur for me!

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I like them as they are. If it was all too light, it could look washed out.
    I'd use a light grout though....

• enduring
    12 years ago

I think these are great, I really do, just as they are, all of them. Before deciding on a grout color do up a couple boards with grouts, this will be so informative.

I always love painterly!

• AnnaA
    12 years ago

The combination is beautiful! And your cats - are they Maine Coons? They are perfect fits in your kitchen portraits!

• babushka_cat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks for the good suggestions on grouts and feedback. it really helps to get some other prople looking at this stuff! i will have tile guy do a couple of samples.

my dear kitties are rescues from sonoma county animal shelter. our vet speculated they could be related to maine coons but dont know as they were part of a litter of 5 found by someone and brought into the shelter only days old. they were fostered by a college student, bottle fed by hand and i adopted them at 8 weeks. i feel so lucky - they are a brother and sister duo and a delight! they turn 7 next month.

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    12 years ago

Well, it's pretty clear that babuska cat's sister wants the darker tiles included :)

Though you'd have to work at really mixing up the tiles to not get too many light or dark in the same area.

cheers

• Ilene Perl
    12 years ago

The tiles are beautiful as is your countertop. Are they gold in color?

• babushka_cat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks all. the color is kind of a caramel color. marble slab is pictured below, before it was cut.

• jalsy6
    12 years ago

Those are really beautiful! So much better than plain white.
    Still awaiting your reveal...;)

• marcolo
    12 years ago

First of all, anybody who uses the word "painterly" on a GW post gets to pick whatever they want.

Second, however, I think the darker mottled tiles are essential. I realize this goes agains the GW grain of always recommending the most frigid, tight-arsed backsplash choice presented, but that's what I see. The marble has a very languid quality, with these long, lazy slow veins running through it. Allowing the darker tile in the backsplash allows it to mimic the same stately movement. Just watch how frequently the darker tiles occur and only let them make slow, gradual statements.

• bessebo53
    12 years ago

Hi,
    I really like the tiles that you chose since they do have a dark contrast to the counter but the color picks up the color in the marble beautifully. My wife and I think you should use a light tan grout that is found within the subway tiles themselves. That would be an excellent choice we feel. Thanks for sharing the picture of the marble before it was cut!

Best,
    Bob and Thalia
    LifeinKitchen.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Backsplash Ideas

• tea4all
    12 years ago

That is a lovely backsplash. I really like the subtle variation in color! BTW your marble is bea-u-ti-ful!

• 2LittleFishies
    12 years ago

I love it! Beautiful with your gorgeous marble : )

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

I really like these BS tiles! I liked the darker ones from before, but these even more.

• francoise47
    12 years ago

Your sample backsplash looks perfect!
    I like the smaller 2.5 x 5 inch format of the tiles.
    They will not look busy.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Wow. Did you really have to ask?
    Renee

• jmcgowan
    12 years ago

Get 'er done. Looks fantastic. Even better with those kitties.

• marthavila
    12 years ago

Add another voice to the hallelujah chorus! Or is it the meow choir? :-) Either way, that backsplash and marble combo is a definite thumbs up!

• Linda
    12 years ago

I really like it, and think your marble color is gorgeous! Not as pretty as the cats, of course, but close!

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    12 years ago

Gorgeous. And I agree with Marcolo, you need the darker tiles in the mix. They mimic the marble and add some needed contrast to bring a little tension into the mix, highlighting the gorgeousness of the whole.

Love the kitties!

• User
    12 years ago

I do not care for the tile, sorry and I know it is only 1 opinion out of many so not worth that much. When I first saw it I sort of felt a 70's vibe with the mottled brown and for me it detracts from the marble making the beautiful caramel look like coffee stains. I didn't post yesterday because I figured I would look at it again and give it another chance but it is still sort of blah. Do you think if you were sure about the tile that you would post asking for opinions here? Just curious, in no way questioning whether you should or should not post for opinions.

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

100% with Marcolo, whose eye I trust more than my own. Keep the dark for the movement, which is breathtaking. Please don't go for the sterility of all white/cream, that would make it too cookie-cutter and dated.

• sas95
    12 years ago

I love the tile, and agree with those who said that the addition of the darker tile makes the backsplash and gives it interest. It will look lovely.

• ILoveRed
    12 years ago

I wish we could see a bigger picture of your kitchen. I love your cabinets and cabinet hardware.

I love warm colors. What is your marble?

It is all a matter of personal preference to me.

If it were my kitchen, and I had your beautiful marble and simple elegant cabinetry I would use plain, white subway tile.

Either way, this tile is beautiful, and your kitchen is going to be gorgeous.

• Gigi_4321
    12 years ago

Babushka,
    Don't do it!!! Just kidding. It's your kitchen. Although sometimes if I follow a kitchen from planning to finish, I feel so invested.....yikes! I thought when I finished my kitchen I would move on to some other form of internet entertainment, but I am on here more than ever. So, back to your dilemma, which is also mine.
    I initially thought you should not use the darker tiles but couldn't tell you why.
    Now I know it is that 70's vibe as athomeinva pointed out, but also that it takes away from the beautiful brown swirls in your marble. With Calacatta, the color is a little more subtle than other marbles, therefore it's easy to detract from the beauty with other finishes/colors that demand attention.
    I reread your other backsplash thread and looked at your inspiration photo. You love timeless (hehe) The brown is going to look out of place unless balanced with other browns or colors with the same saturation, or whatever you call it, hue? I would do one of three things:
    1. Only use the lightest of the Graxia Melange Butter Blend and use a slightly wider grout line.
    2. Find some off white subway tile in a more rustic, hand made look
    3. Use a 4" -7" piece of Calacatta marble with an ogee edge at the top as the backsplash
    One more thing. We are only seeing what our monitor is showing us. We might all be seeing colors in a slightly different shade than each other and irl.
    You see it irl and in your kitchen. So you need to be the final judge.
    ps. I don't think you could go wrong with your last white subway. Remember, your backsplash is only going to be a backdrop to your marble and whatever you place on the counter. Good luck and keep us posted!

• sanjuangirl
    12 years ago

I think it looks perfect with your lovely marble and kitty cat! The purrfect combo! It blends, contrasts, and compliments the gorgeous countertops and cabinets.

• yellowdog2
    12 years ago

It's simply beautiful. I just drool when I see your marble and cabs. Your kitchen has such a warm feeling to it. Of course, your kitties are beautiful too!

• carp123
    12 years ago

really pretty!! i also think you can weed out some of the darker tiles.
    if your not sure...try a sample of a solid creamy handmade subway tile?
    i want to bite your marble and rub my cheek against it...is that weird? yah, i think so.

• farmhousebound
    12 years ago

I don't usually post on the backsplash threads but feel the urge after seeing these--I think they are all beautiful and look fantastic with your marble. Then I saw saw the pic with your cat, that sealed it for me!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

I'm allergic to and not especially fond of cats. But she had me at Meow.

I can see the 70s vibe criticism. But what bettter way to be au courant then to be anti-courant. Cream and tan were done to death, but with that (superlative) marble as a given, where else would you go?

I do think kitty must stay exactly as perched. Maybe you could train her to be your paper towel holder.

• sixtyohno
    12 years ago

It's gorgeous and it goes perfectly

• senator13
    12 years ago

Well, maybe since I was born in the mid-70's I don't really see the 70's vibe criticism. In any case, I think they look great in your kitchen with that counter "purrrfectly".

• User
    12 years ago

Hmm, I was born in the late 70's but have not been spared the knowledge of 70's decor. Photo albums, tv shows and even the odd friend still living in a vintage 70's house when I was growing up. The mottled brown tile bled into the 80's and we had to rip out a slightly pink version that was in our current kitchen.

• Bunny
    12 years ago

I love the tile! I took home a couple of samples, but none of the colors worked with my countertop. I didn't pick up a 70s vibe, despite my sensitivity to that era (although my memories of people and events are quite happy). I think it might overshadow, literally, your marble, but that's your call. Anything that coordinates with cats is A-OK in my book.

But hey, you got your kitties at the Sonoma County Animal Shelter? I got mine last summer at the Sonoma Humane Society. We might be neighbors! I'm in Santa Rosa.

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    12 years ago

I had that mottled brown 70s backsplash, and would never compare it to this. Only you can decide, but I think it is lovely.

• babushka_cat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thank you all for your replies, it has been very helpful, and entertaining. love the suggestion of using babushka cat as a paper towel holder, what a hoot. problem is he LOVES shredding paper towels - i have to keep the rolls away from him or he will straddle it and shred it to death! :)

am living with the samples through the week and will then decide. think it is a yes.

linelle- i am in the east bay -i am willing to travel for a good cat! :) we are SF Bay area neighbors!