Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

Velvet Cloak Dining Room-Update

beekeeperswife
11 years ago

As you may recall, I really thought I wanted a super glam shag rug for my dining room. Perhaps one in platinum. When in Florida I went to see the one at Z Gallerie in person. It really was pretty. The only reason I was checking it out was in case it went on clearance, I needed to have the guts to pull the trigger without any doubts. I didn't want to do a white shag because I added an over the top shag to my office which is to the left of the foyer, and the dining room is to the right. Too many shags and well, it certainly would be Debbie Reynolds overload.

I was out shopping with someone on Monday, buying stuff to style her patio. And what caught my eye? But a 9x12 Kiwi Green Rug. Oh my goodness. There was no way I was not going home with it, even if it was just for an audition.

So without further adieu, here is the dining room with its new rug. I need to get a rug pad under it, I think it will lay better. And the green is a bit louder in these pictures because I "enhanced" the color because it looked a little boring in the photos. This is closer to the real color, but it doesn't actually "light up" like the pics show!

And here is a peek at the office in progress. I hate "in progress shots", but this might give you an idea of why I really love that elephant desk. The one in there is an old farmhouse table that is just odd, but it works for now. And I'm thinking about maybe selling the big unit with the shelves behind it. Not sure.

Comments (18)

• User
    11 years ago

The rug is FABULOUS and looks great in the room--- the color combination is KILLER! Now that I have seen your office I think the elephant desk is your destiny :-) Thanks for the update, I live out my contemporary/glam fantasies through your photos.

• User
    11 years ago

I love that rug with those walls ! Gorgeous and I can see why you had to have it. I can also see the elephant desk with your office. The table is sweet but would look way better at my house :) Please send :) :) c

• madtown_2006_gw
    11 years ago

I LOVE the Velvet Cloak and wish I could get my DH to let me paint our guest room that color! The rug looks great with it, as well!

• springroz
    11 years ago

Now what color are you going to do the Chippendale chairs when you find them again?

I love the rug!

Nancy

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

Yes, the desk is wrong with the shag IMHO. But I think I like the elephants painted, not white, for more contrast against the white. The room then needs a glass etagere, bookcase also has to go (or maybe paint it?).

I like the kiwi grape DR! Very cool, and it fits with your vibe elsewhere in the home. I may be behind on this, but I am not crazy about the color of the chairs, and id prefer a round glass table top?

What fun! You are channeling Boca. One thing I noticed about the link you posted to a shop there, is how Floridian everything looked. In a world where even the househunters in Saigon are saying "we really want stainless steel and granite", it is nice to see some style that is truly indigenous. And then, in your case, transplanted a bit ...

• Oakley
    11 years ago

Score! I never would have thought about kiwi green in your room, but you did good!

I sure would like to see the rest of your house!

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

mtn, oh, yes, that office is a work in progress! Lots more to be done in there. But I like to take baby steps and as I find things, work them in. That mirrored bookcase is a place holder for something I have in mind...shhh. And now you know why I really didn't want to show the room because how odd that desk looks. Regarding the dining room's table....I was looking for a rectangular table, did find one, but then I came to realize, the room really wants a round table. So, I'm planning on replacing the octagon glass with a round piece. The 8 sides are not so bad when you have 4 or 8 at the table, but 6? Always odd. Or an odd # of people. So, it's on the list. And you are right about the chairs too....I am about to embark on an reupholstery diy project of 2 cane chairs for my office. Once I have mastered that, I am moving on the the dining chairs!

If I ever find faux bamboo chairs at a reasonable price, I am not sure about the color now! Green is out. I'll cross that bridge if I ever find it!

Oh, and mtn, regarding the color of the elephants....I don't think I could use them without having them in a fab color. I already have plans on convincing my cabinetmaker to use a lacquer to spray them. ;)
    Of course, convincing my dh that I need this desk is not as easy as you would think....

This post was edited by beekeeperswife on Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 11:48

• caminnc
    11 years ago

Love the new rug. Your office will look great with the elephant table, maybe use a high gloss orange lacquer on it or maybe on the chairs. Nice work as usual.

• LanaRoma
    11 years ago

Love the contrast - kiwi green, Velvet Cloak and white trim. The room is so alive with the color!

I like the elephant table in black/white more than in bold color: it looks more sophisticated to me. Bold colors give it a little bit of an IKEA/Central Asian bazaar look, but that's just my own perception.

The square chandelier is fabulous. Makes me want to shop for something similar. Leroy Merlin (a French home improvement chain) in Moscow should have the style. Going to hit the store and maybe a few home decor boutiques on my next trip there.

• busybee3
    11 years ago

i like the new rug and the color combo, but it doesn't seem to fit with the mysterious, dark, and romantic look that you were initially going for... or at least what i IMAGINED was the look you were going for!!!

• User
    11 years ago

You do know, right, that the elephant desk in an office is a business expense? I think you can show losses in a business a couple of years before you have to show profits...

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

I wasn't so into the elephant desk until I saw it's proposed "habitat". Now I really feel you must adopt it!

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

busybee, I know what you mean, but I made the photos lighter. At night, when using the dining room, the vibe is still mysterious.

I just couldn't torture my dh any longer with the thought of a shag rug in the dining room. He only worried about if someone spilled something in it, how would we know?...

I did try some other darker rugs, with a deep purple in them. But they just weighed the room down making it feel too dark, which is fine, but during the day having a room that at a quick glance looks like a dark cave isn't such a good thing. This really works for me because the wood floors were dark so I knew it needed to go lighter.

java--I do know. I've emailed with the seller....asked if he would at least drive it to this side of the George Washington Bridge because that bridge makes me want to stop the car and jump off in the middle! It is so nuts. He said he could do that!

I keep casually talking about the desk to my hubby, telling him of my email exchange with the seller, I'm waiting for the perfect opportunity to say "LET'S GET IT".

• Pipdog
    11 years ago

Love the rug! Can't wait to see how the room evolves!

• texasgal47
    11 years ago

Love your dining area! That enhanced green rug reminds me of my 70's lime green shag carpet. That brings back terrible memories of my huge decorating mistake I had to live with for some years. I'm certain in real life that your new area rug can in no way compete with the florescent qualities of my former carpet. Everything about your room is stunning, including the new rug. Enjoy!

• funkyart
    11 years ago

Love the rug! The color is perfect-- adds that happy brightness that you have in so many of your other rooms!

• yayagal
    11 years ago

That's one of my favorite color combos, augergine and lime. It looks stunning. I love the way you decorate. Love the elephant desk too.

• outsideplaying_gw
    11 years ago

Great rug and perfect for your room. Can't wait to see how it all comes together in both rooms. You have such a great flair for it all. I hope the elephant desk comes together for you. It is perfect. Have to agree about the big bookcase, but the mirrored furniture, even if you use a different piece, adds something right to the room.