Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerseydina

Show me your ABOVE ground pools, please! :)

jerseydina
16 years ago

I need help. We just moved into our house a little over a year ago. Last year we spent all our money on the inside of the house. This year I want to tackle the backyard. There is an above ground pool which the kids love but it just looks so trashy just sitting in the backyard. I need help as to what to do around it to make it look like nice.

Any suggestions/pictures? I'd really appreciate it!

TIA!

Comments (29)

• cindyxeus
    16 years ago

decks are always an option but very expensive, here's a idea I really like supplied in the link below as far as the bottom part of this pic. I could see a trellis here and there added as well, and a path between the pool and flower boxes of crushed stone or pavement.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:643196}}

• jerseydina
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I would love a deck, except of course, cost is always a problem! LOL!

• flowermum
    16 years ago

That's a good idea from cindyx. I would definitely consider using planters with tall grasses and annuals. Lattice work also has possibilities decorated with vines or annuals.

http://www.spikynorman.dsl.pipex.com/CrayWWWStuff/cripics/Octal.jpg

For an evergreen effect, you could plant low growing shrubs either adjacent to the pool or put them in planters also.

• syllabus
    16 years ago

Post your request over on the Landscape forum on the garden side. I'm sure there will be folks that will have pics to post for you.

If you have a good bookstore nearby, check out the mags aimed at pool owners for ideas. Better Homes and Gardens often does a couple special gardening issues that have pools and landscape ideas in them. Mostly aimed for in-ground owners... but I have seen above ground ones, too.

• nanabb
    16 years ago

We had an aboveground pool at a previous house. We were only going to be there a few years so we didn't want to invest too much. We skimmed the grass off about 2 feet around the pool and put down black landscape material or black plastic not sure, and metal landscape borders and filled the area with small decorative rocks then added concrete pads every few feet within the rock to walk on when we had to clean the pool. Also flowers and plants in planters looked nice sitting on those concrete pads. You have to be careful not to plant certain things too close to the pool, the roots may give you problems with the liner. We also used the concrete pads to make a path from the patio to the pool. We didn't have a pool deck.

• cindyxeus
    16 years ago

boxes of crushed stone or pavement

Meant to say pavers...

• oceanna
    16 years ago
  • finz2left
    16 years ago

Oceanna,

That is the cutest pic. I was in tears from laughter; thanks!

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

LOL!

• User
    16 years ago

Oceanna, what type of dog is that? Is s/he an Airedale or Airedale mix? What a darling photo!

• johnatemp
    16 years ago

Oceana - Yeah, what kind of dog? Whatever, he/she is -too cute!!

Wheaten terrier?
    Labra/golden doodle?

I have a shaggy doggy that is part wheaten and part poodle. He is a cutie but that terrier in him - whoa - just watch out - cuz he is a MESS!!
    Smiles:)

• zipdee
    16 years ago

Great picture Oceanna! He/She looks very happy to be cooling off in the pool. :)

• melanie389
    16 years ago

Oceanna: Cute picture. Adorable.

OP: I like the ideas presented so far. Here's a pic of a semi-inground spa just to give you a little inspiration in case your budget allows for some landscaping. I couldn't find any pics of above ground pools.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• donnar57
    16 years ago

Oceanna, that picture is PRICELESS. When I opened this thread, I thought, "Somebody is going to have to show one of those little kiddy foot-bath sized pools...that IS an above ground pool." But you went one further - with a DOG in it. I laughed so hard!

DonnaR/CA

• jlsch
    16 years ago

Sorry, but hearing that others had Wheatons and Wheaton mixes made me want to share too. Sorry don't mean to steal the thread...

{{!gwi}}

• OllieJane
    16 years ago

wig...if that is a Wheaton, I want one!! When I pulled up the AKC Wheaton info, it didn't look like the same dog. Did you just let the hair grow out, or is yours a puppy? I just LOVE dogs with long hair for some reason.

Sorry, too, for stealing the thread!

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Wigardener, is that your dog? Is it purebred?

Thanks everyone! The picture I posted is of a WheatEn (not WheatOn, if you're looking it up) Terrier, and I didn't take that particular pic, but yes it's darling.

I have two Wheaten girls. One is very old and the other is a pup. Here is a pic taken about a month ago of my pup, Bonnie:

{{!gwi}}

Here is a pic of my old girl, Daisy, showing off her magnificent beard, which could use a combing. She is the apple of my eye, the sweetest girl ever:

{{!gwi}}

Wheatens don't shed. They do need brushing a few times a week and haircuts every 4-6 weeks. They don't have body odor, and they are fairly hypoallergenic as dogs go. They are approx. knee high -- 17-18" for the girls and the boys 18-19" at the withers (shoulders).

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread -- but I really can't help the OP except to suggest what's already been suggested here and wish her luck. But maybe my pics will make her smile. :)

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Johna, can you post a pic? What do you mean "a mess?"

• oceanna
    16 years ago

bumpity bump for Johnatemp

• jerseydina
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh my gosh, I'm cracking up. Thanks for the "inspirations"! :)

• amysrq
    16 years ago

Johnatemp....would that be a whoodle?

• jlsch
    16 years ago

Oh my gosh oceanna, they are too cute! My 'Weasley' was just adopted at the beginning of this year from a rescue and I would guess he is a Wheaten mix. He about 2 years old. In many respects he looks like a Wheaten, but has a tail like a Llapso Apso - size wise like a Wheaten. I love him to death and keep looking at the Wheaten Rescue site and ponder getting a second one....
    Here is another picture (sorry, he is doing his duty), but it gives you a bigger view - any idea what he might be mixed with??
    {{!gwi}}

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Wigardener,

You don't have him in a Wheaten haircut but he looks very Wheaten to me. I bred and showed Wheatens for 14 years, btw. Wheaten tails are docked, you know... but they don't dock them in Europe and yes they can curl over just like your boy's does. If you google Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier and hit Images, you'll see a number of European ones. Reputable breeders in the US don't like to put them on the web for some aggravating reason.

Have you had him since he was a baby? Did he look like my pic of Bonnie?

Frankly, I don't see the Poodle in your guy. If he were mixed with Poodle I would expect every pup in the litter to have been curlier than your average Wheaten, and there are lots of Wheatens who are curlier than yours.

He might be pure Wheaten, but it's really hard for me to tell from here with just those three little pics. I'm also trying to see how grey he is in the beard and ears -- though that varies from dog to dog too.

Why not ask for a Wheaten haircut for him next time and see what you think? I'd love to see some pics of that. It would be easier if I could see him in person.

Jerseydina, Thanks for being a good sport about this! :) I didn't want to ruin your thread, so that's why I waited a while before I posted that pic. It doesn't appear many folks have above ground pools \-\- other than the type I pictured. I suppose you suspected that. I hope you got some ideas that could help.
  • cindyxeus
    16 years ago

Here's another pic I found

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• johnatemp
    16 years ago

Okay, now....Bonnie has got to be the cutest little thang!!
    Daisy and Weasley are adorable, too!! I just love the little mask on the babes, thou.

I guess mine is called a whoodle. It's fun to rhyme his name - poodle-doodle- wheatie - whoodle - I know, I get bored and hey, it's entertainment:)

Oceanna, I knew I liked you for some reason - your a dog nut, too!! You showed and bred wheatens - WOW!!

I am so used to laid back labs - this guy has got some zest!! He loves squirrells - quite obsessed. He really has been a good dog but he is very spunky!! He bites the kids butts and chases them around. He is very vocal on command (trained) and he just cracks me up!! He loves to romp in the neighborhood - comes back covered in mud and burrs in his legs!

Do full wheatens have ear hair? That stuff is just funky!! I can't bear to pluck it myself. Didn't know if both breeds had the hair in their ears or not.

Here is a pic - I guess he got the black from the poodle. He does have white sprinkled thru his hair but it doesn't show up in pics.
    He has the "tea cup tail"

This is usually what he looks like - probably just back from a romp - visiting his doggie friends. Everyone in our neighborhood knows him!

Now, back to topic- Arvorvitae plants are tall and evergreen - evergreens might be nice if you didn't want to do a deck.
    And, you know, the kids are only young once - let them enjoy the pool and just have a good time!!

• gk5040
    16 years ago

The pool forum has been quite, but should be picking up with spring activity...You might want to post the same question over there.

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Johna, now I'm all confused. I thought the blonde dog you're picturing is the one you think is part Wheaten? I agree that one is part or all Wheaten.

But who is the black dog? Is that what you think is part Wheaten? I would not guess there is Wheaten in the black dog. That's no proof there isn't, but I just don't see it.

• Pieonear
    16 years ago

Jerseydina, I like the last pic that Cindy posted. Would that work for your above ground pool?

• jerseydina
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Forget the pool... thanks to Oceanna I think I just want a dog now! LOL!!!