Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celiaanne

Overhead Peninsula Cabinets -- Keep or Remove? (Pictures)

celiaanne
14 years ago

We have the option (due to water damage) of removing two cabinets above the range top in the "peninsula" area of our kitchen. I can't decide whether this would be a good thing to do for resale. We are thinking of putting the house on the market in the near future.

Removing them would certainly open up the space, but would a potential buyer think there is not enough overhead cabinet space. Also, I'm not sure what I would do about the corner cabinet that is at the end of the two I would remove, but is also part of the cabinets along the row above the sink (confusing!?). In addition to the cabinets shown on the pictures, there is a nice-sized pantry next to the refrigerator.

Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreicated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Pictures

Comments (22)

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

Celianne, your picture link led me to my own Shutterfly sign-in page. Can you try them a different way? You may have to remove password protection. (I don't know how to embed here from S'fly or I'd help.)

• celiaanne
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry about that. I'll try to figure it out. I've read the instructions, but if anyone can help me, that would be great.

• celiaanne
    Original Author
    14 years ago

buehl, I just now discovered your reply, which I will read carefully when I finish my effort to post some pix. Here goes:

• celiaanne
    Original Author
    14 years ago

buehl, First, thank you for your reply. We have a vent (down-draft?) for ventilation.

I was hoping I could "flip" the last cabinet on the sink wall, which would necessitate cutting it as it would be too wide for the area. I THINK my son-in-law could do this. It would take some finagling as it opens both into the kitchen area and also toward the dining room area.

The cabinets aren't damaged -- just the bulkhead. However, the cabinets above the peninsula are shorter than standard (23.5" v 30"), so they can't be used to complete the sink wall.

This is complicated to explain. If my attempt to post pix was successful, maybe that will help and I could also add a picture of the cabinet in question.

Thanks again! Any and all recommendations/comments from those who have done something like this would be appreciated.

• rufinorox
    14 years ago

I vote to elimiate the cabinets. It will open up your space so much more and bring more value for resale.

• celiaanne
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, rufinorox. Were you able to see the pix on photobucket?

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

remove them.
    Well if you need the space keep them, but my vote
    is remove and enjoy the open feeling.
    ~boxer

• celiaanne
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, boxerpups.

I've already emptied them and don't miss the space all that much. I am a little concerned about what to do about the standard size one that would stick out 12" into the peninsula area unless I find a way to flip it to align with the sink- wall cabinets....

Think it would look crazy to have the 12" remain and remove just the 2 shorter ones?

• starfish24
    14 years ago

Definitely eliminate the upper cabinets there. My parents recently did this, and it has made such a difference. Although storage is certainly important, potential buyers will likely value the openness and spaciousness of your kitchen much more than a couple more upper cabs. I'd eliminate the corner cab -- not sure what to replace it with...if not a regular cab, then maybe just some open display shelves to balance things out?

• rtorgy1
    14 years ago

I'd remove them, it will make a huge difference to the space once everything is finished, and I think you have plenty of storage space already without them. And potential buyers will never know they were there without seeing a before pic!

• marcolo
    14 years ago

Definitely remove.

• marcolo
    14 years ago

Definitely remove.

• suska6184
    14 years ago

What you have now is VERY similar to what we once had. In my old kitchen, the pantry was where your ovens are, the desk was where your pantry is, and my stove was where your desk is. I promise you, if you remove those hanging cabinets, the room will feel HUGE, like twice its size without doing anything else. It appears you will not be short on storage space without them.

I know what you mean about fixing the end that is now unfinished. If the cabs are taken down carefully, perhaps the finished end that now faces the desk could be placed above the small finished part of the longer cab (currently facing the cooktop). I know there will be a seam, but if that seems too noticeable, maybe hang something on that side, like a larger decorative trivet or a leaded glass piece? Definitely something washable, since it's near the cooktop. Just a thought, but I definitely empathize with your situation. I was so glad we took our "room divider" down- best decision we ever made and never looked back.

• function_first
    14 years ago

It's not shown full on in the pictures, but it appears that there's going to be a tall narrow door taken down (the cabinet that's at your left shoulder as you face the dishwasher). Could you mount that door as an "end panel" on the end of the run? You could either leave the handles and have a faux door, or you could fill the holes and just have an end panel, if it fits that is.

• alabamanicole
    14 years ago

What about removing the short cabinets, and leaving the longer end/corner cabinet? If you'd like a "message center", you could take the door off the end cabinet and have open shelving there -- possibly even using the door panel to make an end panel for the cab, especially if the finish on the end of that cab is no longer the same color as the rest.

• weidiii
    14 years ago

I like alabamanicole's idea. Maybe take the doors off both sides... to continue the open feeling. You could display a lot of favorite things there.

• celiaanne
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi, Thank you for all the votes and comments. There is no question in my mind now -- the two shorter ones are coming down!

Thanks also for the suggestion about what to do with the one longer cabinet that is left. I would like to keep it as a cabinet where I could store things that I need while cooking (salt & pepper, etc.). It doesn't hold a lot, but I do fine it useful.

Any of you experts out there that think the remaining long could somehow be turned so that it would be in line with the sink ones? I've taken a few more pix (and hopefully have successfully posted them) as I know there were no good shots of the "questionable cabinet" from the kitchen side.

As noted on the pix, the cabinet is 12" wide in the kitchen area with the remaining 12" of it hidden by the sink cabinets.

Thanks again for all the suggestions above.

Here is a link that might be useful: Questionable Cabinet

• alabamanicole
    14 years ago

I think if you try to turn it, you may learn that the side of that cabinet (next to the wall) isn't finished at all. You'll also have a hole where the small door was -- which may not bother you -- and the cabinet will be hard to reach into.

From the picture it also looks like you won't have room -- that cabinet is wider than it is deep, I think, and you don't have much space before you hit the door frame.

• celiaanne
    Original Author
    14 years ago

alabamanicole, The cabinet would have to be cut (in half) for sure to make it fit, which I am hopeful that my son-in-law can do. I do realize this could be a nightmare, but I thought maybe someone had already done it and could give me some clue how to go about it.

If it worked the way I imagine it, the door that now faces into the kitchen would be line with the sink side run of cabinets and the side with wider door that now faces the eating area would be against the wall (half of it), leaving the side that is now adjoining the shorter cabinets exposed -- as the end of the kitchen run. I would have to have the wider door removed and a new back made for the cabinet.

An obvious problem with that scenario is that the handle on the narrow door would be on the far end of the run, making it hard to access as you mention. Wonder if it could be moved....

• willowdecor
    14 years ago

I had the exact same lay out in my kitchen and I removed them. It made a huge difference. the room suddenly looked so much bigger. I vote to get rid of them. Here is a link to my kitchen so you can see the before and after.
    Good luck and keep us updated!

Here is a link that might be useful: willows kitchen

• celiaanne
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, willowdecor. Some great photos on your link.

I am definitely removing them. I just don't know what to do about the end of the cabinets on the kitchen run.