Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ttodd_gw

Black LR Teaser.....

ttodd
13 years ago

Baby step by baby step (okay - wall by wall) our LR walls are now black in the test coat. Finished up the black part on Sunday and DH likes it.

I'm taking Lisa Mocha's suggestion of doing a lighter color on the bottom which DH really liked. I have left over SW Universal Khaki and am going to try to paint a portion of a lower wall today.

Taking into consideration what Les said about paneling in the room we decided to go w/ simple low profile picture frame moulding.

So here's a teaser pic:

By Day:

By Night:

Here is a link that might be useful: Original Thread

Comments (14)

• allison0704
    13 years ago

Very pretty! Can't wait to see the entire room.

• lynninnewmexico
    13 years ago

I can't wait to see the entire room now!
    Lynn

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

All I can say is you have captured all the colors of an old time sepia photo to the tee! You have nailed it and I LOVE it!

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

kmcg85 posted my thoughts exactly. That really is a teaser though.... you and trailrunner. I can't wait to see the unveiling of the rest of the room.

• User
    13 years ago

Oh, man, what a tease! How long do we have to wait for more?

Sigh, I LOVE it. I cannot wait to have finished pics to show my DH. I've wanted to paint a room black for so long. He thinks I am totally crazy. I can use you to prove I'm not! Well, at least not about the black wall thing :-)

• kacers
    13 years ago

I'm planning to paint my DR black. What paint did you use, brand and color? Looks great!

• caminnc
    13 years ago

I love it, can't wait to see the rest of the room.

• User
    13 years ago

Oh you are so mean ! That is going to be breathtaking. I think the idea of the lower wall in UK with the molding will be stunning. I bet you never ever leave that cool house once you get it done...oh I forgot you are NEVER going to get done :) c

• ttodd
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOL Trailrunner! I am a complete homebody by nature - always have been - always will be! The room definitely evokes emotion in me when I am in it! Very similar warmth, coziness and happiness as when the room was Baby Turtle w/ moss green and black drapes. It excites me and calms me at the same time.

On the sad note though............I tried UK - didn't like it. Too much saturation/ depth of color.

I tried an unknown mix from the basement similar but lighter than UK. Nope - not the one. Totally blends in w/ the linen colored curtains.

Found another unknown sample yet lighter - on the fence about it. I think it actually might be the sample of the hall color. I'm not being 'Wowed!' by anything that I try.

I feel like the lower part needs to somehow be 'fresh' & 'light' to pull that feel from the white office across the hall. Hard to describe. 'Weighty' yet 'Airy'. I'll figure it out. Originally I thought that white below would make it feel too, too formal but I'm up for going through my white samples on Thursday. Especially since the sofa will be weight.

Thanks Kmcg85! I think I will hold some chips in the grey family up to that top picture. Maybe something will call out to me for the lower half.

Kacers - the color is Sealskin by Sherwin Williams. It pulls black during the day and deepest black/ brown at night - just like a wet seal.

• creekylis
    13 years ago

So pretty! When I saw the name of your color, I had to check it out on my SW fandeck! Have you thought about trying On The Rocks (the lightest color on that strip) for the lower half? Or possibly Knitting Needles, which is one step up? These seem to both pull tan or grey, depending on the light---should really go well with your Sealskin.

Can't wait to see the room!

• prill
    13 years ago

Oh - that's REALLY a tease. When do we see more?

• jnh896
    13 years ago

Can't wait to see more pictures! I'm no paint expert, but according to the SW website, Sealskin is a "cool neutral" and Universal Khaki is a "warm neutral" so perhaps that's why they are not working together for you?

SW Perfect Greige is a "cool neutral" and it gets a lot of recommendations.

I also like the suggestion of going lighter on the same fandeck card.

• ttodd
    Original Author
    13 years ago

What a morning - wanted to paint some more samples but instead took my neighbor to the ER. I wanted to be done w/ samples by now and decide...... :(

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

Certain Drool worth T. But then I feel that way about everything in your home. Whatever you decide I'm sure will bring the same response from all.