Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
windycitylindy

Polished chrome and polished nickel fixtures in same kitchen?

windycitylindy
12 years ago

This is what I get for not figuring everything out before ordering. I have four polished nickel light fixtures that I ordered a while ago. I really like them, and I don't want to eat the return shipping and restocking fee if I don't use them. However, I can't find a pull-out faucet that both DH and I like and that isn't $1000 (like the Waterstone).

Will it look bad/obvious to have polished nickel lights and polished chrome faucets? There will be two faucets--one at the prep sink on the island, and one at the main sink. Light fixtures are over each one.

Then, if I did chrome for the faucets, how would polished nickel look for pulls? I'm really wishing I'd thought this out better before we got this far!

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

I'm doing chrome faucets, polished nickel hardware in the kitchen. My lights in there are recessed, but I have a crystal chandy for the center of the island that has chrome, and I'm pretty sure that the builder special light for over the table is brushed or satin nickel--will be changing that out. In the bathroom I've got chrome faucets, just bought polished nickel sconces. And I picked a satin nickel knob because they were free and I can replace those later.

I think it depends on the actual finishes of the pieces. If they don't look weird together I think it will work. Take the light you have to the plumbing store and hold it up. I'm sure they have seen odder behavior than that!

• bethcw
    12 years ago

chrome faucets & polished nickel lights will look fine! I would not want a polished nickel faucet anyway - the finger prints would drive me nuts! I find chrome doesn't finger-print as easily.

Beth

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Depends on proximity. Nickel and chrome look obvious and wretched right next to each other. If they are outside your line of site from each other, not so much.

• Dando
    12 years ago

I agree with marcolo.
    And let this be a lesson to.....ME. Finding everything in polished nickel is either impossible, or insanely expensive.
    Chrome? Not a problem, and...seems to the most durable, and least expensive finish.

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

So true, Dando. My bath has all polished nickel, which was a brilliant vintage-licious idea .. until I had to fork out for new clawfoot tub plumbing that matches. Seriously, if I had kids on the college track they would have just been rerouted from Stanford to Southern Armpit State at Elbowville.

I think a chrome faucet is such a classic that it goes with almost any other finish. Lindy, I wouldn't put 'em right next to each other as in two faucet fixtures at the same sink (the nickel will look like cheap gold and the chrome will look sickly blue), but for pulls/lights etc, go for it!

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

My sink faucets are both polished chrome. My pulls (didn't use knobs) are polished nickel. Nickel can vary, however, from fairly neutral to pretty yellow so keep that in mind. My nickel pulls don't read as much yellow, just a hint of warmth.

• PRO
    Little Women Relics
    9 years ago

valants I'm having the same problem with my kitchen faucet. It is Brizzo and is looking more gold than the other polished nickel I am seeing?

• scrappy25
    9 years ago

I have chrome faucets and polished nickel knobs and pulls and they look fine. I think your PN pendants will be fine also!

• davandyke
    7 years ago

Valants, I agree. Manufacturers do vary the same finish. I've had that with satin nickel. I bought polished nickel fixtures from California faucets to blend with an antique nickel light fixture that I loved. I wouldn't say they look gold but it looks like a warmer silver...not so cold. I've never had exactly matched fixtures to the light. It's too matched for me. I like a little more interest. If the undertones blend, I think it's fine. I took all my tile samples and light fixture to the bath store and looked at it all together. The two sales people there both were impressed with how it all looked together, I figured I was on the right track!

• Katrina Tate
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

We ordered satin aluminium kable lights with satin nickel pendants in the kitchen as well as a chrome faucet. We have samples of brushed nickel pulls and chrome pulls for the drawers. Hubby likes the brushed nickel; however, I'm not sure the brushed nickel pulls will match the brushed satin nickel knobs I like for the doors. I'm going to the site today to see if the pulls match the light fixtures but I don't yet have a sample of the knob.

The pull matches the pendant pretty well and they will be at minimum 30" apart. Now just waiting on the knob sample.