Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oklahomagreg

Sanding deck prior to using restore-a-deck

oklahomagreg
16 years ago

I've got a deck built out of pressure treated lumber. Some of the deck boards are a little dry and are splintering a little bit. I am considering sanding the deck but am not sure what type of sander to use or what grit of sandpaper. Should I use a handheld vibrating sheet sander (? proper name) or a handheld orbital sander. I've kind of ruled out the really big sanders as some of the boards are cupped a little and I figure it would just grind down the edges. Once this step is completed, I will go through the restore-a-deck process then seal with some of his recommended sealant. Thanks, Greg

Comments (12)

• john_hyatt
    16 years ago

An orbital sander will leave very few grit marks, use 60/80 grit pads. Might wait for it to quit raining ghessss have we had a bad winter/spring or what??
    John

• ray8
    16 years ago

John,

Is that true for IPE decks as well? I read others opinions here that sanding IPE will strip the top layer off and then it will not take stain. We plan on using the Restore-a-deck as well and then following your TWP 116 process. The deck is not built yet but I am considering sanding because the wood we ordered from East Teak has some scratches in it. Thanks for the question and the advice, Ray

• john_hyatt
    16 years ago

Ray,I dont know where that dont sand ipe got started,or why it still is coming up,but its total Bogas. If anything ipe will take finish better after its sanded with an orbital/60/80 grit pads. Ghesssss will these things never end???????????????

With a new ipe project there is no need to Restore it.

J.

• ray8
    16 years ago

The only reason I was going to Restore it was that there are water marks and some strange yellowish residue on some of the wood. I have no idea what the yellowish residue is. Maybe once the deck is built I will try to wipe it off really good adn the water marks will come off when I sand.

My wife and I have quite a bit of time and money invested in this deck and I am up for doing whatever it takes to help preserve it. The restore-a-deck will not harm new ipe wood, will it? If not and I did go ahead and use it would you recommend using it before or after sanding?

Thanks again John,

Ray

• john_hyatt
    16 years ago

The green/yellow that your seeing is the normal for new ipe, the tree takes in sulfer if you can belive it.

The Rad system wont hurt ipe it dosent matter using it before sanding or after. J.

• chester_grant
    16 years ago

I had a deck guy recently give a quote for power washing and sealing my deck. I asked him if he could sand it first - and he said no-one would sand a deck owing to all the nails which would rip up the sandpaper.

Surely its possible to sand a deck???

How many coats of sealer of restore-a-deck are needed?

• sealpro1
    16 years ago

Sanding a deck can be done. Yes it is true nail heads can present a problem, but it is doable and recommended. A low speed sander should be used with about 25 grit paper, then go up to 50 or so to finish. It will cost about $1.50-$2.00/sq. ft to have someone come to your home.

• john_hyatt
    16 years ago

We install ipe with countersunk ss trim head screws,installed this way a light sanding is possible without damage to the fasteners.

On a new project like Ray's all hes trying to do is take out some slight scraches or water marks.

On an older project say with mold/mildew sanding will not remove the spors. J.

• butterclem
    16 years ago

I'm also concerned with screwing up the galvanized screws (sorry) by sanding my deck before giving it its first stain this spring. Is there a sander type that allows you to set the level so that the screws are protected? I paid a bunch to have this deck built last summer, so I would hope the screws are sufficiently countersunk, but I'm not sure. Certainly, they're a tad lower than the deck surface. Advice on how to sand it safely? It's pressure-treated wood.

• john_hyatt
    16 years ago

There is not really a level setting on an orbital sander other than your hand. If you get into the head of the glav screw when sanding the slight glav protection will vanish.
    J.

• chester_grant
    16 years ago

Is it feasible to "retro-hammer" in nailheads to sink them far enough to make it safe to sand a deck?

• john_hyatt
    16 years ago

The thing with nails after they have been set and weathered trying to drive then again will probley shatter the hold. J.