Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raehelen

Any alternative to Lazy Susans in a 36in corner base cabinet?

raehelen
16 years ago

OK,

Have to say seeing Mysterymachine's wonderful kitchen has sort of got me enthused again over trying to get ours finished. Nine going on ten months to do this #*!!friggin kitchen has worn me down...

Quick synopsis - Our KG was going to build us a Super Susan in the 36" base cabinet that arrived with no innards. However, the quality of his work leaves much to be desired, and after we had to refuse acceptance of the OTF cabinet he'd made to replace the too shallow one that arrived with our original order, company agreed to hire a carpenter to fix all the omissions/errors with our cabinets. That's fine for the other problems, only this carpenter doesn't make super/lazy susans, and so we're back to square one.

I have attached a picture of the cabinet and the contents. I am storing the bigger appliances in there, and am thinking I might put 12" (?) shelves around the 3 sides high enough to clear the bread maker.

Everything is pretty accessible now, and I'm worried that if I DO put in a super susan, the bread maker might not fit, and that I would actually lose space on the bottom (pretty well full now). Not quite sure what I'd put on shelves- maybe my flower arranging stuff- oasis/vases/frogs/marbles, etc. If I just put in a top level Susan and left the bottom as is, I think I would limit accessibility to the items on the bottom. I do have another lazy susan in the other corner.

If anyone has pictures of how they've arranged their corner cabinets OTHER than with a Susan, I would love to see or hear about it.

Comments (19)

• raehelen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No one has any ideas or solutions? :>(

I know I've seen a corner unit with shelves. I did a search and nothing came up.

• saskatchewan_girl
    16 years ago

My corner cabinet is just like that but with an adjustable shelf in the middle. I love it for all my little appliances.
    I'v always had a lazy susan and planned on a supersusan but cabinet maker never heard of it. He was really trying to make me change to the LS but 'no go'. The shelf way is the only way for me...........so much extra room this way.
    My friend had one built in after (she removed her LS)but it is only half the width so the front half is open and the back has the 15" or 18" shelves. Hers isn't adjustable but mine is, we both like them.
    HTH

• raehelen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sask girl,

Would it be possible for you to take a pic of your cupboard with the shelf? Or at least describe it for the descriptively challenged? >:)

So, if I understand correctly, you left the bottom like I have it above, ie all useable space. And, you have a shelf in the middle- I'm stuck on trying to picture what shape your shelf is. Is it the same size as the floor? I was thinking probably doing what your friend did,not a whole shelf, so that I could see/access everything on the floor.

If you have a 'whole' shelf, does it impede access to the bottom?

Thanks so much, Rae

• sdionnemoore
    16 years ago

No pics, but I also had a corner unit with just a shelf. Though the Super Susan I had in the opposite corner was nice, I really enjoyed my corner shelves--I could fit all kinds of appliances and things. SS may be good for canned goods and such. . .

• saskatchewan_girl
    16 years ago

Here is what it looks like.......I'm sure it will be a bit difficult to get something small out from the bottom back corner but I have stuff back there I use VERY seldom, so it isn't going to be an issue with me. I've used stuff from the top back and it wasn't hard at all. And I'm short, so I guess my arms are too LOL.
    My friends looks the same but the shelf is only half as wide as mine. Does that make any sense? I keep my thermos, extra silverware, extra coffee pot(machine broke and can't part from the still useable glass pot) at the back bottom. I just realized I could maybe use this spot for the kids board games we use at the kitchen table! : )

SK girl

• kateskouros
    16 years ago

they do make corner base cab swing out units. i think i'm going to try and fit it into our ever decreasing budget.

Here is a link that might be useful: cool corner base cab swing out

• chefkev
    16 years ago

I'm getting a super susan, but I looked at other options. I saw a corner unit in a display room like what kateskouros above posted - it looked really cool. If you're anywhere near a bigger metropolitan area, hit the big fancy cabinet/kitchen display showrooms-They are really great for getting ideas and for seeing examples of options. Best luck!

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

Rev a shelf makes after-market susans that you might be able to install in your corner cab.

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    16 years ago

kateskouros--
    I have that corner base swing-out and a lazy susan, I think the lazy susan is MUCH easier to use. In fact, if I had it to do over I would try to design my kitchen w/o a blind corner cabinet (which I could have done).

• ckstjamj22
    16 years ago

Here's a 36" corner base with shelves. Intentionally did not get a LS or SS because I wanted to store the huge GF grill that lived on the counter top in the old K, plus crock pot, large colander, stock pot, etc. Works great for large items.

{{!gwi}}

• mccarthy3
    16 years ago

I was recently in a cabinet shop that had a corner cabinet made of drawers. Unfortunately, no picture. I don't know if I'm doing it justice by describing it, but here goes- It was a stack of three deep drawers. When you pull the drawer out instead of it being flat front it was v shaped to fit into the corner. To me, it seemed like a great use of space.

• bettycbowen
    16 years ago

I'm having this same issue - met with a local cabinet maker yesterday for the first time. Chickstjamj, I saved the picture of your shelves, I think that will work the best for me too. I first wanted the laze susan but a friend said that her kids turn the lazy susan too fast and fling things off the back into that deep corner.

The cabinet maker gave me a revashelf catalog and they have a version of the blind corner optimizer too, but for $560 each (as in 1,120 for the set, yikes).

• raehelen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ckstjamj22,

That's exactly what I was thinking of, so hard to visualize! If you come back to this post... how is the shelf attached? Do I see holes for an adjustable shelf behind there? I'm guessing there are 4 pegs holding up the shelf- 2 on the diagonal, and 1 each on the sides?

Think my DH can drill the holes (no holes in cabinet now).

So, with your shelf the full size of the cupboard, you have no problems accessing things from the bottom? Maybe, I don't need to make top shelf narrower? Hey, I've waited this long, may as well get it perfect! :>)

• ckstjamj22
    16 years ago

Hi,

The shelf is adjustable and is held in by 6 shelf pins, 2 on each side and two on the diagonal back. I don't have trouble getting stuff off the back of the lower shelf, because I have mainly large stuff stored there, so if I have to pull something out from the back, I only have to remove one piece from in front of it. I keep stuff back there, actually some smaller items like a juicer and blender, that we only use occassionaly, like a few times a year. I wouldn't keep anything back there that I needed on a daily or weekly basis, but it's not that hard to pull it out.

Hope this helps.

• ccc123
    16 years ago

Hafele makes a "Magic Corner" which is similar to the others mentioned above. If you live near one of the Hafele showrooms it's worth going to see all of the interesting accessories they have.

• User
    16 years ago

I have two corner cabinets, both with shelves. I don't like "susans" at all, so I don't have any. I love these cupboards - very useful.

• raehelen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mom,

Yup, growing up with, and always having 'Susans', except the 11 years we lived here with a woefully inadequate kitchen (already I've forgotten what I used to have! :>), I just assumed I'd get two corner susans. Since I've had a few months to use this one while waiting for innards, I realize I actually have more space without the susan. Good for the 'Big' items I have in there now. Think I'll still keep the lazy susan I have in the other corner, though it really doesn't store much, but for small items, more convenient- haven't hit upon the perfect way to store things in there either- but it's a wire one, I might be happier with building super Susans with bigger diameter circles...like I have nothing better to do with my time and money... :>)

• fifamom
    5 years ago

i know it is 5 months later but here you go.. this is by kraftmaid..