Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlt19

Tigerwood vs. TimberTech (Install & upkeep)

jlt19
15 years ago

We've narrowed down our material choices to either Tigerwood or Timbertech. The lumberyard we're working with gave us prices for both and TT is almost 2x the price per linear foot of TGW.

When looking at price however, I'm more concerned with posts, fasteners, tread, etc, since the actual planks are so little of the overall project.

We're also concerned with maintenance. We are wanting to be fairly LM, and thought TGW was a good wood for that, but a man we talked to at a hardwood store said it needed to be sealed 3 times a year the first few years and once a year thereafter.

Another concern of mine is scratching. I have three great danes and when ice/snow forms on the deck, they dig at it to eat it. I watched our old ratty deck lose all of it's stain this winter.

Asetics aside, for overall cost, ease of installation (my carpenter husband and carpenter brother-in-law will install) and ease of maintenance, is tigerwood or TT preferred?

Comments (8)

• cooper_boston
    15 years ago

what color/type TimberTech are you looking at? I am looking at the Earthwood series and I am also concerned about potential scratching. The more research I do, the more I see that most of this type of decking scratches. I have also read that most of the scratches will fade away. Hopefully. some people who have installed this type of TimberTech can respond and tell us how it has held up.

• john_hyatt
    15 years ago

Knowing what kind of TimberTech would be helpfull but really TT can not compete with a S American project when you figure in the rail system,thats the weak point with any composite far as price goes.

Now Scraches,,,,Guys,, the Dawhs are going to scrach up anything they put the paws to. The earth wood line is some good material I have jobs 3 years out using it with no yo yos so far. One of the Wallets had a big golden lab and he did scrach up the deck before he got used to it the couple had no problem with that. The same will be happening with any S American lumber Thats the nature of living with Pets.

John Mon

• cooper_boston
    15 years ago

John,

Thank you for the follow up. I went out to your site and I love your work. You have built some beautiful decks! I don't have any dogs but I do have young kids. I like the EarthWood in walnut. Have you done any jobs with that? I know all composite decking will scratch so my question is do you think the earthwood scratches more than others? It sounds like you have seen 3 year old decks that have held up well without too much scratching? How about the fading? Will it fade worse than others?

• john_hyatt
    15 years ago

Nawww Coop, earthwood line scratches about the same as any of the simi hard composites. I like the walnut and the teak color nice looking stuff fade is the same 10/20 percent. TimberTech is deffently my choice for composite material,and I Hate All Of It!!! Thats why so few of them are on my site.

I hate the clips too,,,butttt I have to say now that TT has got into cahoots with tigerclaw come up with those SS spring loaded pretty solid powder coated clips....If I wasent selling off composite with all the S American lumber I have access to... I would try them with the pregrouved earth wood line just to see. J.

• jlt19
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the posts! We're looking at the Earthwood Tropical Rosewood, I believe, with a black radiance rail. We actually spoke with a contractor at the lumber store we're purchasing the material at yesterday and he's going to do a rough estimate of all material (PT wood for posts, fasteners, etc) this morning for us, so we'll see where that gets us.

He did say the TGW would hold up better for the dogs, but that it was more difficult to install. At this point I just cannot decide, so hopefully the numbers game will push us in one direction.

• slippery_biscuit
    15 years ago

Will watch to see your decision. I have a large deck to resurface and of all the composites, TT is a possibility. My gut tells me to go with the hardwoods. Tigerwood or bangkarai are under consideration. The clip installation with tigerwood gives it a bit of a lead.

Anyone know much about the PVC decks? AZEK for example? The worst things I can find on them are the color choices (limited) and possibly linear expansion. I know the color isn't super, but gray would work with my house color so ....

• slippery_biscuit
    15 years ago

I certainly appreciate the decision you've made. I'm really leaning to Tigerwood. In five years or whenever, rent a sander and refinish and you have a new deck surface. You don't get those options with the composites.

Enjoy!