Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charlikin

CL Weirdness

charlikin
14 years ago

Bizarre situation with a CL posting that I'd just like to blow off some steam about... I've been trying to decide on a coffee table for months, and I *finally* decided to go ahead with a pair of nesting tables from West Elm. The tables are not horrifically expensive, but I think part of why I had such a hard time deciding to go ahead with them was that West Elm charges a ridiculous amount for shipping ($70 for something that comes unassembled!).

Anyway, I was browsing through CL a couple of weeks ago and I came across a listing for a C&B rug, and in the photographs, sitting on the rug were the West Elm nesting tables. So I emailed the seller and asked if the tables were for sale. She emailed back and said yes, they're $200. Fantastic! Less than half of what the total price would be from West Elm! I emailed back and asked when I could come see them.

A couple of days later she emailed back something vague. I asked again when I could see them. No response. Maybe she's away? No - she relisted the rug. So maybe the tables got sold, or she decided not to sell them? I emailed her again, apologized for badgering her, and asked if they're still for sale. No response.

Okay, guess I'll just have to suck it up and buy the tables from West Elm. I was just about to do that when I looked again at CL and saw that she'd listed the coffee tables - at a higher price than she had quoted me. (She hadn't actually listed them before - they were just in the photo with the rug.)

Fine. Well, not fine. I understand if she's embarrassed that she emailed me a price and now she wants more money for them. I thought her price was kind of low myself. But she could have emailed me back and said she had thought about it some more and decided to ask more for the tables. Either I would have walked away, or I would have said okay. (The latter.) At least she would have given me the opportunity!

Anyway, I emailed her again and said I was still interested in the tables at the higher price. Very polite email. Haven't heard back.

I'm baffled - if you want to sell something, and you have someone who's clearly very interested in buying it, why not get back to them????

Comments (48)

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

I have no clue, but that's happened to me before too. Makes no sense what so ever. I've been so baffled with both buying and selling on CL lately. My email has been messing up, sending blanks, so I've asked for phone numbers explaining why. I DO NOT want to put mine on CL for all to see. The emails that come have no phone numbers and just ask if I still have it. DUH! My email is sending blanks how do you expect to know if I still have it if all I can send you is a blank email!? So I posted on the photo (and they are bigger photos since I use HTML) "If you see the ad the whatever has not been sold" and I'm still getting the same old "carp". ;^) It's driving me bonkers to the point of just waiting until I have a garage sale.

• folkvictorian
    14 years ago

Some guesses, Charlikin: 1) She's embarrassed that she gave you one price, saw your enthusiasm, and then hiked the price for other potential buyers. 2) She thinks that when you get there to pick them up, you'll ask for the lower price again. 3) She had no intention of selling them until you showed interest and now she's fishing for the highest price she can get. 4) She has no intention of selling them but wants to know what others are willing to pay for them in case she decides to sell them. 5) She's hoping for a bidding war.

Those are my only guesses. Your post reminded me of some good advice I got from a book about buying/selling houses. It said that even though people might put a house on the market, it doesn't necessarily mean they intend to sell it. It just might be a fishing expedition to see what price it MIGHT fetch. I hate mind games like that!

• charlikin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The most frustrating thing about it is that I am finally ready - really ready - to buy these tables (and the end tables from various sources that I've picked out to go with them), and get my redecorating project moving again, and I feel stuck. I don't want to pay over $500 for the coffee tables if I can get them for under $300 (which, honestly, is all I think they're worth); but if I have to, I will - I just want to know for sure.

All she has to do is email me and say, sorry, not for sale anymore. Or for sale, but not to *you*. ;-) Whatever. I just want closure so I can move on with my life.

OMG, I'm becoming such a drama queen! LOL!

• megsy
    14 years ago

Have you thought about building them yourself? Knock-offwood.com has done some West Elm stuff IIRC.

• Boopadaboo
    14 years ago

That would annoy me to no end!

OK - this is something that I don't get. Why do seller put $1 in the heading of an add and then you open it and they list the price? What is the point of that?

• greenthumbfish
    14 years ago

charlikin, I agree with folkvictorian, hang in there.

justgota - yep, add to your post "If you're seeing this ad then it is still available" or some such verbiage. Then, do NOT answer "is it still available" queries. They are just wanting your email address anyway. If they were truly interested they'd be asking other questions. I know it's frustrating, but DON'T answer them!

Good luck to you both!

• lowspark
    14 years ago

Maybe email her from a different email addr and don't identify yourself as the same person who asked about the tables in the first place. See if she answers that!

• neetsiepie
    14 years ago

Welcome to the wonderful world of CL. Utter flakes & lots of scammers. When I post something for sale I always state post will be deleted when sold and then I never get the 'do you still have it' emails. I hate it when you find just the right thing, send a very well thought out response then get a reply of ' oh sorry I sold it a few days ago but forgot to take down the ad'.

I usually also put 'email with your phone # if you are interested' and thAt weeds out the spammers. As to the OPs dilemma, maybe try one more time, and say that you are ready to buy so when can you pick the tables up? I know I get sick of people asking when they can come look. Oh and I just recalled an encounter, I saw an unusual piece and sent a question requesting a picture of the interior, got a response with the same ad photo and a babbling note about it's size. I never followed up but realized the seller may have been bombarded with emails (lots of spam these days) and didn't take the time to actually read mine. That may be the case if the woman with the tables

• charlikin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Megsy, thanks for the tip about knock-offwood.com. Cool site. This table has a metal frame though. And I don't have access to tools or a place to use them. But otherwise cool idea. ;-)

Lowspark - write to her from a different email account - that's an interesting idea! I'm going to try that, just out of curiosity. (As for emailing her "one more time" - I've probably written her at least half a dozen times already asking when I can come see the table, suggesting times myself, giving my phone #... I can't imagine that I could have made it any more clear that I was genuinely interested in buying the table outside of actually wiring her the cash in advance!)

I'm irritated enough that I actually had the notion today that I should email her in a couple of days to say thanks anyway, but I found the same table through another source, and though I had to pay quite a bit more money for it, that person got back to me. So good luck selling yours. (Probably won't actually do this, but I'm that annoyed at how inconsiderate she is.)

As for all the "is it still available" emails - wow, it never occurred to me that that would be irritating to sellers. I actually write those myself - usu. because I don't notice an ad till it's a few days old, and I do think it's entirely possible that someone would have forgotten to take their ad down after the item was sold. If the seller gets back to me but I'm not interested anymore, then I write them back and thank them anyway. Hope that helps!

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Greenthumbfish, that's just how I feel. If they don't do what I'm asking then they don't get a reply. Simple as that. I'm sure some may be legit, like charlikin, I too have asked that when I reply to something that's been listed for days. I'm getting these messages just minutes sometimes I've listed, or re-listed them.

Megsy, funny how I just came upon Knock off wood today. I love that site. I've said so many times about how I could make the stuff down right cheap that some of these sites sell for enormous prices. I mean it's reclaimed wood, their builders probably got for free by tearing down someones barn for them.
    charlikin, I'd check CL for local crafters that could build you the tables for way less than either new or the used set would cost you. Too bad you don't live in my area since I do just that.
    As for emailing her about getting them elsewhere for more and sorry she missed out would be so much fun. LOL But then she will have your email addy and phone number. Bummer.

• charlikin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hee hee. She already has my email addy & phone number. For all the good it's done me. LOL!

So I'm intrigued - how do I find furniture builders on CL? What do I search for???

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

You can use the wanteds by adding what you are looking for someone to do/build for you. That's how I found my first furniture building job for a customer. You can also look under services. I've never used that to advertise my business, but you might look and see if anyone has advertised that they build furniture.

• summiebee
    14 years ago

I agree with Folkvictorian...I think she is just embarrassed about raising the price and thinks you are goign to offer her lower. I would make up a hotmail address and email her and go to see them and use your middle name if you already told her your first name. No biggie. I would feel like a total grubbie if I went back on saying I was going to sell you something at a price too. I keep my word though.

• Lyban zone 4
    14 years ago

How many days has it been since you have emailed her. I am on my computer everyday but alot of people are not and check there emails only when they think of it or maybe once a week.
    I know that makes no sence if you have something on CL but I think people just forget and are very busy with work etc etc.
    Who knows?

• charlikin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm sorry, summiebee, but I don't understand the issue of her being afraid I'll offer her less... All she has to do is turn down my offer!

Lyban, I originally emailed her on Sat 4/10, and we had a couple of emails back and forth over the weekend. I followed up three times during the week, attempting to set dates to go see the coffee table - no response from her. I tried "one more time" a week later, thinking I'd give it one more shot before ordering from West Elm. Again, no response, but just as I was about to place my order on Sat 4/24, I saw that the coffee table had been listed again on Thu 4/22. So I tried emailing her again, telling her I would pay the higher price. No response.

Yesterday I took Lowspark's advice and emailed her from another account, tried to sound like a brand new person. No response yet - I'm curious if I end up getting a response.

Maybe she thinks if she gets enough interest, she can set off a bidding war? Or she thinks, hey, if she's getting this much interest at this price, maybe she should relist again at an even higher price?? I know - I'll just keep responding to her from different email accounts, get her all excited about the price going higher and higher, and then all the different "me's" will drop out and stop answering her emails.

OMG, I'm devolving into revenge fantasies. Over a CL coffee table. I've got to just order the thing from West Elm and move on... ;-)

• charlikin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The crazy thing about all of this is that I'm actually willing to pay more than she's asking for the table, so long as it's significantly under what I would pay total at W.E., and so long as the table's in good shape.

(She never did answer my question in my first email about the condition of the table. I'm consoling myself now that it must have all sorts of beverage rings and scorch marks and gouges in it that don't show up in her fuzzy photos... ;-))

• callieandkarin
    14 years ago

I can relate! here's a good flaky CL story for you...

I found a vacation home I liked on Craigslist a few months ago. I spent significant time travelling to tour it and researching the comps. Two days later I provided the seller in writing an all-cash bid, 100% flexibility on closing schedule, 100% closing cost coverage by me, less than 5% below her asking price.

In response, she sent a vague email saying she was undecided and planned to continue showing the house. No counter offer, no timetable. In a horrendous housing market! I've now watched her relist the house three more times on CL since my offer, and been tempted to get back in touch with her. But after reading this post, I'm convinced she really doesn't want to sell it. Frustrating!

• tomorrowisanotherday
    14 years ago

You know, some people are just plain crazy. No amount of reason is ever gonna change that. Although it's infuriating, it might be time to just let it go :(

But before you give up, why not get every last friend you know to "help" you out? Have your friends all respond to the ad by very nicely offering MUCH less than she's asking. Perhaps it might occur to her that YOU are a better bet than all those "weirdos" who only wanted to pay $50!

Just out of interest, which WE tables are you talking about?

• busybee3
    14 years ago

to have all your friends send low-ball offers would be a hoot!

• charlikin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's the West Elm Modular Nesting tables - black metal frames with sort of rustic wood tops. They come in both light and dark color woods - I'm interested in the dark color, which is what the seller has.

The CL listing is here: West Elm Modular Coffee Table set - $225 (SoHo) (note that inside the ad, she asks for $250 ;-))

I have not received responses to my latest emails, not even the one from a separate email account where I pretend to be a new person. So anyone from GW who'd like to email her and offer her $50 for the tables - go for it! (Only half-kidding. ;-))

• nhb22
    14 years ago

If your email addresses are like mine, the email address is different, but when it goes through to someone else, my name comes up because it is registered under my name. Both your emails may be going through to her with your name on them.

• malhgold
    14 years ago

People are strange. I saw 2 chairs that I liked and emailed asking if they were available. Heard back that they were. I asked for dimensions and when I could take a look. Couple days passed, didn't hear. Emailed asking again. Got a response with the dimensions and that she would get back to me at some point with a viewing time. If you're trying to sell something, I'd think you'd be a little more responsive to someone wanting to buy the item. I've written it off!!

• tfm1134
    14 years ago

I would email her and just say "I have $250 cash today and would like to come see them". If still no response than I would walk away. I just don't see her point in all this. Wastes your time and I am sure others as well

• annzgw
    14 years ago

She has it listed for $225 and is asking $250 cash??! Go figure.
    You can always flag the listing.

I'll email her.......just to see if I get an answer.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Oh I bet you could find a welder in your area that could make them with out the hassle she's giving you.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Charlikin, You've got mail from me. I sent you a PM through GW. It should say it's from "Becky".

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Oops. It will say Ouisel56

• charlikin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Got it - I emailed you back, Becky!

Thanks!!!

• judydel
    14 years ago

My guess is that she posted the table and sold it before you e-mailed her the first time. She probably isn't even reading your e-mails because the table is already gone and she's already spent the money. Just my thoughts.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Nope it's not sold yet! Ha ha ha! 8^D

• annzgw
    14 years ago

.........and my email to her has yet to be answered!

• charlikin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Given that none of the rest of us have had any success, I want to know exactly what justgotabme said to her to actually elicit a response. ;-)

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Tracey did you get my email? I need more info before I email her back. You phone number at this point is probably a good idea. Please email me so I can email her.

• judydel
    14 years ago

This is too funny. No weird.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Judy, I just talked to Tracey on the phone. What fun that was.
    ~Becky

• charlikin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hee hee. Becky's awesome. It's like she's this CL matchmaker, pulling together shy buyers with reluctant sellers... or better yet, an online Cyrano de Bergerac, pretending to be me and saying all the right things so I can get the girl, er, coffee table!

• necia
    14 years ago

That is Great! Don't leave us in suspense ~ did you get the tables? Waht did Becky say to pursuade the buyer????

Inquiring minds want to know!

:)Necia

• charlikin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Deed ain't done yet... Stay tuned!!!

• megsy
    14 years ago

I can't wait to hear the end of this saga!

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Neither can I Megsy. What fun it was to "meet" Tracey aka charlikin over the phone.
    Tracey, love your Cyrano de Bergerac analogy. So glad I don't have his nose though!

• malhgold
    14 years ago

what ever happened here?

• charlikin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sigh - no happy ending here. Becky tried her darndest - she promised the seller she'd buy the tables; she arranged to send her husband over (meaning I was going to have to produce a "husband"!!); she did everything but wire the seller the money in advance! But in the end, the seller disappeared yet again. Something about someone actually coming to her apartment to buy an item she has listed for sale always seems to spook her into hiding.

Now I want to send the seller an email: "You don't call, you don't write..." ;-)

It is genuinely WEIRD!!! (Just like the title of this thread!)

And it is also OVER. I'm going to order the table from West Elm tomorrow. Trying to buy the table from this seller has delayed my grand scheme for apartment beautification by about three weeks!!! It's enough already.

The good thing that came out of this is that I got to have some lovely chats with Becky, who is a truly charming and NICE individual. And we all got to have this fun thread!!!

I will *still* post pictures once I have the table. :-)

Thanks everyone!!!

• nhb22
    14 years ago

Could the seller really be a man, trying to lure a woman into his home? YIKES!!!! When Becky said her husband would come over...that was it!

• Jeannine
    14 years ago

It's such a great deal, though. Maybe you can arrange a meeting somewhere?

I met someone at a gas station to buy some lamps once. It actually worked out well for me...they lived out in the country somewhere.

• charlikin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Newhomebuilder, that's a really scary thought! I had dinner with a friend tonight, and I was describing this whole thing to her. She's a social worker, so she immediately starting working up scenarios where the seller was in an abusive relationship and so stressed about moving/escaping/divorcing/escaping that she totally lost track of the things she was trying to sell.

I have a simpler theory. She's a fruitcake. Though newhomebuilder's theory is equally plausible.

Jeannine - the seller isn't talking to me. I can't buy the tables on a street corner or anywhere else if the seller won't talk to me!!!

Sigh.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Funny I replied to this earlier and it's not here.
    Well what I said was I wish Tracey would have gotten the tables, but it sure was nice getting to "meet" over the phone.
    Never thought about it being a guy trying to lure women. That's a very scary thought. I did get one more email after I mentioned "hubby". This was her reply:

"I have an open schedule so anytime from 6pm on into the evening, if that doesnÂt work for you let me know if an earlier time would be better.
    My name is Rachel and I live right between Houston and prince."

My best guess is that she expected the buyer to stand between Houston and Prince and holler "RA-CHEL!"

• charlikin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I still love that image, Becky!

Btw, the area between Houston and Prince (not sure which street she's on) can be *very* crowded. You stand out there and holler "RA-CHEL!" and 30 people will probably turn their heads. Including a few guys. :-)

• nhb22
    14 years ago

Yeah, I guess if a man was trying to lure women, he would post something that wasn't quite so expensive.

Another theory...an email communication problem. I have heard/read that there is sometimes a problem with CL email going through.