Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ms222_gw

Paint for Kitchen and Family Room Driving me Crazy! Please Advise

ms222
12 years ago

Okay this is driving me crazy, I want a contemporary/modern look in my single family home, 9 or 10 foot ceilings one story. The trim and doors will be white. The major problem I'm having is that I want the whole main part of the house (not including bedrooms/baths) to be painted the same color for a proper flow. Worse case the whole house painted the same except for kitchen color.

Gray seems to a very modern/contemporary neutral and it would work fine, except not in the kitchen, due to light oak cabinets that I have. I tried SW "moderne white" next to the cabinets and a gray and both didn't work right. I don't really want a beige or yellow because thats not very contemporary. The floors are saturnia marble, and that kitchen island will be replaced.

Is there 1 color that would work next to those oak cabinets and throughout the house that would give it a modern vibe.

For example in terms of my furnitrue, I will be having a white modern couch, a chrome based and glass top dining table with white chairs lined in chrome....so lots of whites and contemporary looking styles...

I can't find a type of color that will work!! Please help!!

Comments (34)

• always1stepbehind
    12 years ago

Once you decide on grey for the rest of your space, what about using the lightest color on the same card for you kitchen. My guess would be that the lightest color on the card would almost be white...but with a hint of grey undertone to still tie in with your other wall paint.

Can you post another picture showing more of the kitchen and cabinets?

No possibility of having the kitchen cabinets painted white?

• juddgirl2
    12 years ago

I was going to suggest SW Believable Buff to complement the oak cabinets but you said you don't want beige or yellow. BB is a very pretty neutral that works well w/my oak cabinets but it's a bit yellow/gold toned.

With your chrome and white colors throughout the house, you might like Benjamin Moore Gray Wisp or (the lighter) Quiet Moments. These are colors I'm going to sample in my new bathroom, which will have white trim and polished chrome fixtures.

I think the Gray Wisp is the same color as RH Silver Sage. Very pretty with white and ivory, and the blue/green tones may complement the oak.

If you search for pps7 bathroom, I think she has Quiet Moments on the walls. Gorgeous with her marble and chrome.

• kaijutokusatsu
    12 years ago

What about green? Green goes well with wood tones. I can't tell from the photo if your backsplash has greens or grays.

• ms222
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Backsplash will be gone and replaced in the near future...green and the rest of the house gray wouldn't look right imo. I will look at the other colors you guys suggested, I would be open to having my cabinets painted white, except that I'm thinking they will start to chip and peel eventually and it can't be cheap to hire someone to paint those I would imagine.

More pictures of the kitchen

• Annie Deighnaugh
    12 years ago

Looking at your pictures, your cabinets look to be close to BM Oklahoma wheat or thereabouts. I like BM HC165 Boothbay Gray...it seems to match the intensity of the color of the cabinets. It also has enough depth to it that the white furniture will stand out.

As a suggestion though, you can use lighter and darker shades of the same color in the various rooms...it will still looked tied together but won't risk monotony.

• ms222
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay i will take a look at all the paint suggestions, keep in mind i will be changing countertop to a granite/quartzite possibly white and all appliances will be stainless steel.

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

Seems like with the white sofa and chrome finishes its all going to be at odds with your door and cabinet style and I'm not sure just a wall paint color will give you the look you seem to be after. Is your white sofa really modern or sort of transitional? Maybe that's why you are having problems as well as cab color? Have you thought about painting the cabinets a light color or a dark stain? I'm not one of those people that normally suggest painting wood but maybe it would give the flow that you are seeking. Most (but not all) gray wall paint will make the yellow tone in your cabinets stand out more. I like color pops but it doesn't sound like thats what you want...although I could be wrong. I was once lol.

• ms222
    Original Author
    12 years ago

jterrilynn, you are absolutely right, the door and cabinet style is not modern with those arches....however I do not have $30k right now to re-do my kitchen. I did think about painting the cabinets white, but it I don't think anyone around this area will do it for less than $2k. However, I may have to do that.

Gray with the color of these cabinets side by side just doesn't seem to work to me.

I havent bought the couch yet but it may be more transitional, thinking this one: sectional

I want the play to have a contemporary/modern feel but its also on a canal on the water so I want it to be somewhat airy too especially since the ceilings arennt high and its only a 1600 sq ft home.

• ms222
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry the couch link didnt work click the link below

Here is a link that might be useful: Sectional

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

Grrr photobucket changed things around and I have no idea how to do a collage or layer pictures. Anyway, how about getting a modern shape in the a coffee table but doing a warm tone metal to go with the warm of your kitchen as it is without painting the cabs.

Then do a light color transitional sofa instead of stark white. A transitional sofa would go nicely with your open plan and kitchen cabinets.

The skinny bit is a part of your cabinet color cropped, and the sample below that are colors you could use and still look very contemporary.

You could get away with gray walls if you used a tad of warmth in everything else.

• teacats
    12 years ago

Perahsp consider painting the cabinets in satin black -- and adding long silver modern handles -- a color that would really work so well with your stainless/black appliances.

Then paint out the trim and doors throughout to white.

And the walls in white or silvery gray ....

• Annie Deighnaugh
    12 years ago

Gray white and gold can be very modern scheme and very attractive.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• Sueb20
    12 years ago

How about a light gray-green color like Ben Moore Titanium or Gray Mirage?

• ms222
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I guess all the grays i have tried aren't light enough, the ben moore titanium might be good....painting the cabinets in satin black would definitely be interesting but might close off the space too much in look. For now I'd like to try to keep the kitchen as is until I have more money and would like to stay with gray's in general...but the gray and light oak color is just giving me such a hardtime, and offwhites dont look so great with it either.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    12 years ago

Here is another example...I see your cabinets as the gold toned accent used in this scheme

Here is a link that might be useful:

• dgmarie
    12 years ago

I think the other poster is right. You have a traditional home in trim and doors and wall paint color won't do it all. I don't think is going to make you happy. A hard modern look will clash with the style of the kitchen no matter red, white or gray paint on the walls. Can there be a compromise with something more "transitional" and less "modern?" You will definitely need to paint doors and trim something not oak (black will hide it but there is still the arch top cabinet and doors). It is so hard when home and style seem to be at odds!

• ms222
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I agree....I do hate the arches and the doors and trim in the whole house will definitely be white. I would say that the z gallerie sectional I posted is transitional enough? Tell me what you think?

Either way this whole thing is becoming tricky...

Here is a link that might be useful: Sectional

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

I agree that pure modern will be tricky, but I do think you could pull off a contemporary/transitional look. My initial thought was for a steely blue gray color or a pale gray. I don't think gray inherently clashes with the cabinet color, but I think it's a little tricky to find the right gray with the yellowy wood cabinets and beige floor (which is very pretty by the way). I also suggest you look at swapping out your knobs and pulls for some contemporary stainless steel. I had old tarnished brass pulls and swapped them for some stainless bar pulls and it made a big difference. Additionally, I would suggest you might try painting the walls before you tackle painting all of the trim white. I imagine painting trim throughout a house will be quite a chore, and maybe you'll begin to like the wood trim it more once the wall colors are to your liking.

• ms222
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your thoughts so far everyone. To prickly, yes I will definitely change out the hardware when I get a chance. I'm not so handy so I'm not sure how hard it is to drill into my cabinets without messing it up. Thanks for the compliment on the floor, it looks great in person.

I really hate the wood trim and will definitely paint all the trim myself, and then have someone spray paint/paint my doors.

I wonder how much it would cost or if was possible to find a perfect match with my cabinets and replace the arch cabinets with square ones. If you look at the pictures, the bottom cabinets are square and do not have the arches.

You can't see well in the picture, but I have a whole other issue to deal with to whcih is removing heavy knockdown texture all over my walls in pretty much everywhere except the kitchen. That's not going to be fun.

Got some more color samples today, will try them soon and update.

In terms of the kitchen, I will be putting a granite/quartzite and a different backsplash at some point soon, since the previous owner screwed up all the electrical and I want to have some outlets in the backsplash. All the appliances will be stainless steel and the hardware will be changed. Also the moulding trim in the kitchen looks horrible and that will be removed and replaced with something to match the color of my cabinets..

I'm still thinking painting them white, is there any reason not to? I think I can get someone to do it for $1500-$2000 and it might change the whole look.

• ideamom
    12 years ago

If you want your home to be modern contemp I suggest you paint your cabinets black and then use chrome handles. Wall color could be gray which would be a good neutral where you can pop the room with a fun accent color. As your kitchen is now it is not modern or contemporary.

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

If you are on a budget And not handy its going to cost you quite a bit to get rid of all the non-modern molding, doors, cabinet doors, knobs, pulls and wall texture. The white non-transition sofa and sectional you posted is lovely and modern but does not mesh with what's going on in your home. I think you need to paint the walls you hate the most in a warm off white (for a clean slate to think by), look for a deal on craigslist for a sofa and coffee table that you can live with for a while. There is no point in spending a bunch of money until you can sit on some ideas for a bit. You need to take your time and figure out a plan, budget and seek some reasonable recommended labor for replacing and remodeling the non modern things that you do not like.
    We have all been there. We all know how it feels to want everything yesterday. You know what you like but you really need to sit back and get a better handle on it. There is no quick fix to make your home modern. You could pull off a transition look a lot easier. However, if you really want modern you need a plan of attack.

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

Have you seen pipdog's cool eclectic transitional style home and decor? Do a google search using pipdog because this site may not show them all. She has a nice mix of things and she has arches entry's and some arched cabinets (not cab doors). Still, it could give you an idea on how some of your molding and doors would look painted. You would have to keep in mind that your nice flooring is different than what she has. With some planning and a moderate removal of things you could pull off something like that.

• ms222
    Original Author
    12 years ago

pipdog's place looks great. I understand what you mean by holding off, but I would prefer to move forward. I do have about $10k that could be available. I still do not understand what issue there would be with that z gallerie couch.

• Sueb20
    12 years ago

I think the sofa is pretty contemporary, not transitional. I think, if you are trying to strike some kind of balance with your more-traditional house and your desire for contemporary decor, you might want to lean toward more transitional "major" furniture pieces, and accessorize with more contemporary items/fabrics.

Here's an example of what I think of as a transitional sofa that could easily work with more contemporary pieces.

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/furniture/sofas/margot-sofa/s299480

or

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/furniture/sofas/axis-sofa/s655341

Then add in pillows like this

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/decorating-and-accessories/decorative-pillows/mallory-18%22-pillow/s445668

or

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/decorating-and-accessories/decorative-pillows/marimekko-appelsiini-caliente-20%22-sq.-outdoor-pillow/f45145

or

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/decorating-and-accessories/decorative-pillows/fiona-20%22-sq.-outdoor-pillow/f45118

Maybe a lamp like this

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/decorating-and-accessories/table-desk-lamps/hampshire-table-lamp/s236333

You get the idea. Sorry I don't know how to post pics from web sites. I know it's annoying to click on a bunch of links.

Of course, if you have your heart set on that sofa, you don't have to listen to me or anyone else. I do think it is going to be tricky, given the style of your cabinets and trim, to ignore what's there and go straight-on contemporary.

• anele_gw
    12 years ago

What if you put aside the idea of color being contemporary and focus on a color you like, but bring in the furniture and accessories that are contemporary? To me it is much more about the lines of the furniture, how much "stuff" is in a room, the textures, etc. which determine whether or not a house has a modern feel.

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

Hi, I'm going to use a sofa style close to your link above to show the difference on a sofa that could be used in a transitional room v.s one that is close but different that would more likely be used in a modern room.

Transitional

Modern

Do you see how one is blockier?

• User
    12 years ago

jterrilynn - can you tell me where you got the picture of that sofa in your post on Mon, Apr 23, 12 at 18:07? The sofa with the curvy arms. I'm looking for couches and I like that one.

Sorry for the hijack...now back to your regularly scheduled post...

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

Hi jillinnj, The sofa is for the trade only...it says. I have found that there is some times some way "in" in this economy. I'm not sure with this place though. I do really love this sofa too.

Here is a link that might be useful: sofa

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

Hey jill, do a search on apartment therapy to see some wonderful rooms with Lillian August furinture.

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

Ms222, I apologize for my little hi-jack. I have been stuck like you so many times. I cannot often see my missteps in my own space because I'm too close to it. I'm often trying to mix so many existing items, so that always complicates things. But back to you! Please reread my posts and keep in mind that although I might not be great with my wording I still think there is some good advice in there somewhere, especially the bit where you need to get a better handle on your style as it pertains to your house. I think I read that your house has water views, sooo lovely sooo lovely that you need the time to make it right.

• User
    12 years ago

Thanks, jterrilynn! It's a Lillian August sofa, although that one doesn't show up on the Lillian August website. But, there are similar ones on their website. I think I'll be visiting the NYC store soon. Thanks again!

• User
    12 years ago

thanks again, jterrilynn! Wow, such beautiful eye candy on there. I am so totally going to the NY store. It's only about 20 blocks from my office. Cannot believe I haven't gone before. Some couches are way out of my price range, but some seem pretty reasonable.

• ms222
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi jterrilynn I have read your thoughts and I truly appreciate it. Some of my pieces I already have and they are modern, so I'll have to figure out a way to make them work.

This is my dining table and chairs that I got for $800, I'm going to stick a rug under it with an accent color, and also probably add a buffet table in the left hand corner...but as you can see with the texturing and chair rail and color its obviously out of place. I do think once the walls are skim coated or 1/4" drywall is added, and the trim is painted white, and with the right wall color it will look like the right fit.

I do love the table and chairs...look very nice for the money.

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

Ms222 Oh my, what a great house on the water. You love modern...really nice table and chairs. If you go all modern and plan on keeping the same kitchen floor plan you will have to replace all the doors top and bottom, eliminate the two short staggered cabinets on top and add cabinets in their place on the same line as the others. Eliminate the upper moldings style and backsplash; the countertop would work fine as is. Eliminate the chair rails and replace all interior doors. I would paint your walls in a flat paint and see how you like it and then decide when or if to eliminate the texture. When I painted my son's textured walls in Behr porpoise gray flat paint we had to touch the walls to even know the texture was there. However, it's hard to see how much texture you have in your pictures and we don't know if there is texture behind the chair rails. Anyway, after all that you'll have a good start on transforming it all to a completely different look. I know it might seem overwhelming but once you get a start on it it will be fun. I almost envy you because I'm a gal who needs projects and mayhem; I'm in limbo now just fixing things up to sell for a future downsize. Not fun! In my next house I'm hoping to do a completely different style. I want to buy the little stinky 60's house across the street from the waterfront mansions. Then I plan on becoming their very bestest friend and ride around in their yacht lol.

Jill, please post after you go to the NY store and tell us of the quality. I have never actually touched Lillian August furniture. I really love so many things on the online site though and like the fact that there are a few things in my price range. Of course all the sofa's and chairs I really love are at the highest prices... boo
    Looking forward to your report!