Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nkgutterman_gw

Composite Decking - Need Update for 2014 Material

nkgutterman
9 years ago

I am confused about what is currently the best composite decking material and which brands to stay away from. Has Trex fixed its problems? Please advise.

Comments (7)

• cboylewatt
    9 years ago

I saw that no one has responded to this question, and I am wondering if there is an update for 2015 materials? I hear that Menards has changed their product-what would be the best mid-level composite decking, most likely from a big box store? I am planning a large deck in the midwest, which will be partial shade and partial sun. Any info would be greatly appreciated

• Kathy
    9 years ago

I too would like to hear the answer to this question.

• lmahoney104
    8 years ago

I too would like to hear best answer for 2015 composite decking.

• sprtphntc7a
    8 years ago

i don't know if its the best, but we installed Timber Tech about 3 years ago and we love it.... easy to clean, which we do in late spring and its good to go. what we love about it is NO maintenance.... no staining, waterproofing etc... no fading....would do again in a heartbeat..
    we DIY'd it, so saved $$ there...we did not buy from big box store, so it was more pricey. but worth it to us knowing we wont have to replace down the road....planning on staying here another 5 years or so, so we will get our $$ out of it....and it will be a great selling point when the time comes.

• PRO
    Fiberon Decking
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hey there - I'm wondering if we can help. We have composite decking experts that may be able to answer some of your questions: talk-to-a-fiberon-expert or call us at 1-800-573-8841. We may not be able to address specific questions about the competition, but we can provide advice on what to look for in a product (ie: product warranties, ordering a sample before buying, capped vs. uncapped, and so on)

Products - Horizon Ipe Composite Decking · More Info

Fiberon Horizon 'Rosewood' composite decking · More Info

Fiberon Horizon 'Castle Gray' composite decking · More Info

• Lily Spider
    8 years ago

The key to composite decking is to find one that is ALL composite with no natural materials mixed in. That's why the mold and mildew happen. We installed Timber Tek 8 years ago and the product itself has held up, but it grows a black mold on it that is near impossible to get off. Power washing doesn't work. You have to use a special cleaner and in a year or so it grows back. The decking also gets soooo hot in the summer. Our deck gets morning shade and dew which could be why we have mold and some don't and we get blistering heat in the afternoons on the deck.