Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stayc_gw

Blue granite pools- What water tile did you use?

Stayc
12 years ago

I am having such a difficult decision in trying to determine what tile to go with. I am thinking of going with a lighter color natural stone look. I think the contrast would be better. However, I don't know if it would look better to find something that would blend better with the water color.

Any help would be wonderful!

Thank you,

~Stacy

Comments (13)

• c9pilot
    12 years ago

I agonized over this, too. And now that my pool is done, I think my tile clashes with the Blue Lagoon pool color....sometimes. The water color changes all day depending on the angle of the sun and the direction that I'm viewing it. But...the tile is in shadow almost all the time because of the coping, so it's just not as important as I thought. It is more important, I think, if you choose some mosaic or smaller format (ie 3x3) tile because the grout lines will make the waterline more dramatic. I was advised to get 6x6 by experienced friends, and my neighbors pool is obviously crooked because you can see the waterline doesn't match the dolphns all the way around the pool.
    Anyway, I'm the new just finished pool in St Pete thread if you want to see the photos in my blog that describe all of this. I can't figure out to to put the link in using my iPad, sorry.

• MPK 09
    12 years ago

Hi Stayc, I had originally thought we were doing blue granite ps and looked at tondella blue tile at the advice of some other posters. if you search this forum for tondella you will find pictures. I think it's a gorgeous combination. Good luck!! Marta

• Stayc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much c9pilot. I will check out your pool.

• Stayc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Marta,
    Nothing came up with that search. =( I am new on here so maybe I did something wrong.
    Thank you though,
    Stacy

• MPK 09
    12 years ago

Hi again, I spelt it wrong, sorry! Here's a link that will bring you to the post and photos. Good luck. Marta

Here is a link that might be useful: link to tile for blue granite pebblesheen

• Stayc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Space man,
    I just repsonded to you on the other thread lol! Yes, if it is not too much trouble that would be greatly appreciated!

• banana_fanna
    12 years ago

We chose NPT Silverstone Ocean. I wanted something that would blend almost seamlessly with our Blue Granite Pebble Sheen. I looked at Tondela Blue (our second choice) and a couple beige/cream/natural color tiles but I kept coming back to not wanting a line of demarcation between the water line and the pebble. Our pool isn't to the tile stage yet (fricken fracken rain) but here's a link to a post that shows the Silverstone Ocean. Look at the third photo down - it shows the blue, gray, cream and a little brown tones in the tile. It matches the sample of Blue Granite beautifully. The tile, in person, has a very subtle sheen to it - lovely. I hope it looks as gorgeous in my pool someday as it does on my patio table.

Here is a link that might be useful: Third photo down

• banana_fanna
    12 years ago

Here's another example...it's from birdbath's pool. She used it on her infinity edge. Her pool was one of the most magnificent designs I've seen on this site.

I wish I could find an example of a pool using Silverstone with water in it but so far, no luck.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• banana_fanna
    12 years ago

to the best resolution of color I could find online. The pic in NPT's catalog doesn't do it justice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silverstone Ocean

• Stayc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much, Banana fanna! I really appreciate all the research you did to help find these pictures. They are great! We really have a tough decision to make!

• FlowerMoundAggie
    12 years ago

We are going with Blue Granite PebbleSheen and Noble Tile Pacifico for the water line tile. Our pool should have a natural look with Oklahoma flagstone, Milsap limestone and Texas Moss Builders but my wife wanted a water line tile with a little pizazz. We elected to go with a pretty blue tile with flecks of white and rust embedded in it. We are very pleased the way the tile stands out from our boulders but we still need to see what it looks like with the water actually in the pool. If you have the time before making your decision, click on my link in a few weeks and see how it turns out.

• haileybachin_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I've been helping my parents decide what to do with re-lining their pool. I found fantastic ideas using glass tile! I found this material to be MUCH more vibrant than granite-we got great samples for our brainstorming phase from Susan Jablon. I used the link below to get our ideas!

Here is a link that might be useful: Susan Jablon Pool Tile Pics

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations