Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violetwest

Ideas for exterior of porch

violetwest
10 years ago

I'd be interested in what you would do with the exterior of this porch, which is highly visible from a busy street, so it should look pretty. I was thinking a row of 2-3 planters . . . or maybe vines.

(Please forgive me for this self-indulgent "garden" question -- need cheering up today, and posts from GW usually do that!)

This post was edited by Violet.West on Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 15:55

Comments (4)

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And here's the very utilitarian exit door. I'm not too happy with the color of the exterior paint, but can't change that. That's a steel screen door. I do like the color and look of the cedar trim, but I was thinking maybe a decorative paint or tile treatment around it. Suggestions appreciated, but not guaranteed to be taken! :)

This post was edited by Violet.West on Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 15:57

• birdgardner
    10 years ago

Planters could look very very good, a big improvement.

Where do you live and what's your climate? Rainfall, hardiness zone, heat zone? What's the exposure on the porch, north, south east west? What's the ground in front of the porch, looks like gravel-covered yard or driveway?

What's the budget? I'd be inclined (if I had the money) to build a planter all the way across the porch, covered with the same stucco as the house. Put some tall plants at the corners and between the windows, have some spillers and some sculptural forms - soften the edges and make it look connected to the earth.

Cheers, and hoping you're feeling better.

• orcasgramma
    10 years ago

If I remember correctly you are in a desert area so I imagine a collection of varies pots, found and/or purchased, and filled with succulents, some with flowers in the purples or other colors in your flags. I was in LA a few weeks ago and saw a fun collection in a very small space. Lots of possibilities. Some amazing flowers when they bloom.

With hopes that the 'bloom' is coming back into your day. :)

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thank you, and yes -- I forgot to mention: desert! Also, casual, so no topiaries, urns or boxwoods!