Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pupwhipped

I don't like my 'big ole' (yeah, right) Decora drawers

pupwhipped
16 years ago

Has any one else had the following issue? I just had Decora cabinets installed. My KD originally had four drawers stacked, but from reading this forum and also from my own experience, I said I wanted three drawers instead. The first drawer is your typical flatware depth and then the bottom two are very deep...at least from the outside they look deep. When you pull out the drawer, the actual storage part drops down at least three inches (or more) from the top of the drawer front. Know what I mean? On the outside it looks like you have a nice deep drawer, but when you open it, it is considerably smaller then it looks. I think it is stupid! In retrospect, I may have had more usable space with four drawers. I would show a pic, but I'm not at the house...and, uh, I don't really know how. HA! Someone else tell me they've had this, and got over it, so I can stop fuming. I have this configuration in two places, aarrggh.

Comments (9)

• flatcoat2004
    16 years ago

I think lots of large drawers are like that, mine are. It's actually pretty handy, because it gives you extra space for handles of pots etc. Take this with a grain of salt though, since I have yet to actually *put* anything in my drawers.

• ljsandler
    16 years ago

I too have Decora 3 drawer stacks and I LOVE them!!! I can put so many things in them. I stack things like tupperware, etc., over the box line and they do not get stuck. I also use them for my dishes, once again stacking over the box line.

I hope you are happier as you get used to them.

• User
    16 years ago

i'm thinking that the above two posters have what you want; a deep drawer and that is not what you got?

is that right?

• pupwhipped
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, it's like this: The drawer front is very deep, but when you pull out the drawer, the box part, as lsandler called it, is not nearly as deep as the drawer front. I guess you can stack things above the box part, but seems like when you open the drawer, they could tumble out the side. Don't get me wrong, I still think this was a good choice rather then four drawers where none of them are deep enough for larger items. But, I have this three drawer set-up in my current home (Decora cabs are in lake/retirement place) and when you open the ones here, the box is only maybe one inch smaller then the drawer front. Course, these cabs look like sh*t and have virtually from the day they were installed...local cabinet maker guy. My Decora cabinets at lake home are very nice, but I just don't understand why the box would not be closer in size to the drawer facing.

lsandler, hate to ask, but if you know how to post pics, would you mind posting a picture of your drawer with your stuff in it? Then, on the other hand, maybe I should just have a glass of wine and git over it. But, I did pay an arm and freakin leg for these....these stubby drawers parading as deep ones!!!

• pupwhipped
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OH NOOOOOOOOOO, hubby just called from the lake place! I mentioned the drawer problem to him a few days ago and he just now was looking at them. Low and behold he was in the kitchen saying, "I don't know what you're talking about." In fact, he said the exact same things that lsandler and flatcoat2004 were saying...it was kinda spooky! LOL. I won't go into the details of our conversation comparing drawers here with drawers there. Let's just say it's all gonna be fine. I will have my glass of wine and beg your forgiveness. We, I MEAN I, can get caught up in all this with the expense and stress.....and well, y'all know.

• boxiebabe
    16 years ago

LOL.. I just ran inside to check my new "deep drawers". We just had them installed and they'll be getting the finishing touches Monday.
    That "bank" has only 2 drawers with big deep panels on the front. When you open up the top drawer, there's a drawer within a drawer. I have no clue what that's all about. Some kind of secret compartment? Then the "non-secret" drawer has like 15" FRONT with only 6" sides!
    The bottom drawer is the same, but without the secret drawer.
    What a weird thing.. wonder what I was thinkin when I ordered that?
    Well - I guess it might be good for storing appliances like the Mixer and food processor.
    What am I going to store in my secret compartment? Hmmm..
    maybe all the stacks of receipts for this remodel. hehe
    Well, at least I know now, Pup, what I have!

• raehelen
    16 years ago

I know what you mean! At first, I thought it was some cabinet company conspiracy to save money!

But... not being sure of the origin (and I think it's pretty consistent across the board between most cabinet manufacturers), I'm going to go out on a limb, and say that it actually makes good design sense. By having shorter sides and backs, you don't end up overloading your drawers with stacks of unreachable 'crap', err,,, I mean stuff. Not, that YOU ever would have piled things in there...:>)

Now, when I open my drawers, I can reach everything easily. I'm not lifting up a ton of stuff to try and find something hidden underneath. I can put taller things in there, and some things can extend over the back (like my long over the sink drainer), stealing a little bit of space from the empty behind the drawer space.

• pupwhipped
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ya know, I guess this all came up because, as I said, they're not like the deep drawers I am used to. When I opened the new drawers, it just smacked me in the face cause I know how my other ones look. The other thing is that I use one of my deep drawers now to store a ton of dish rags, potholders, and kitchen towels. If I go over the box height, I do think those might fall out.

Raehelen, I thought it was a "cheap" thing on the part of the cabinet maker, too. My KD said they were most all like that. I won't go into the details, but my husband did expalin to me the difference in the construction of the new drawers and our old drawers and how it DID make sense. That and the comments here made it okay to me...and the wine didn't hurt either. Hope I did not come across as a total whiner. I do that on a constant basis with hubby, but would prefer not to do it here. Haaaaaaa!

• oruboris
    16 years ago

The sides are lower on most cab lines for better access to the sides of items.

If it turns out to be a problem, you could have inserts made for the drawers [basically, tight fitting boxes] made that would raise the sides.