Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amykath

How would you frame this art?

amykath
16 years ago

I painted this for a friend. It is a wedding gift. Her fiance took the shot right after he proposed as they watched the sun set. They are eclectic so I think I can get away with most frames but nothing elaborate or fancy. Any ideas of colors or colors of matts?

Thanks!!

Amy

ps I am no expert painter. Never took a class so forgive the fact it may look like a child did it ; )

{{!gwi}}

Comments (22)

• mlraff53
    16 years ago

I would go with simple black. No matting. The black will fit with anything they have. Unless you know what furniture they have, I wouldn't try any woodtones.

• marciagaye
    16 years ago

I agree with the black.

• graywritingdog
    16 years ago

It's beautiful. Fome someone who has tried painting (failed) I know how hard it is. I would be proud of that. Getting something for a gift that has meaning behind it always makes it special.

I would do a simple frame. Matt black or a matt silver.

• wodka
    16 years ago

Amy, how lucky for them to have a friend like you! It is beautiful, and I agree, keep it simple, preferrably black frame.

• daisyadair
    16 years ago

Black is always a good choice.

Sweet gift!

• les917
    16 years ago

What a lovely gift. I would give them the art and a gift certificate to have it framed, and let them choose what they would like. The people at the framing shop will also be able to give them suggestions of what will look best with the artwork.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

I like les's gift certificate idea.

• robynpa
    16 years ago

I like the black frame and I think you did a wonderful job!

• alicialeo
    16 years ago

It looks like a textured painting on canvas? I have seen them not framed (sold in the stores) and hung on walls and look beautiful. Did you finish the sides so that could be an option as well? You could do as suggested by sarschols (to Hobby lobby, or another like store) with the gift certificate, but finish the sides so they could hang with or without a frame. They could either use the certificate to frame or spend on other items that they would like.

• daisyadair
    16 years ago

If you paint the sides of the canvas black, then it would be ready to hang as is until they decide on a frame.

• cindyxeus
    16 years ago

I agree with Les, than again i usually always agree with les (LOL) a frame for me is a big part of decorating my art choices, so the gift certificate as les stated for the frame is a great idea.
    Also I am an artist ( kind of) LOL and I think your painting is very nice.

• funkyart
    16 years ago

Man.. I really can't believe you all would give gift certificates for framing a painting made especially for someone. I also can't believe that you are so particular about what goes in your home that you wouldn't want someone else to frame a painting that they made FOR YOU. I am really kind of reeling from the responses.

I would absolutely frame your painting.. and I would absolutely mat it. I would do a dark wood but maybe something with texture and grain.

It is a lovely gift and so very personal-- I also paint (and am also untrained) and I can just see the joy you put into this painting and what a wonderful gift to mark their engagement.

• les917
    16 years ago

You can stop reeling, funyart! LOL The idea of a gift certificate allows them to pick the frame that works best in their decor.

Perhaps they would prefer a wood tone, or black, or silver, or even a deep green that compliments their home. I think it is considerate to allow them the choice.

For example, I love black frames, have lots of them - but I don't think it works that well with this painting. Rather than bring out the warmth of the sun and the lovely shades of blue and green, it makes my eye focus on the greys and browns, and frankly makes the art feel dark rather than happy.

• amykath
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all for your suggestions! I did not mean to create any drama here. I am going to buy the frame and the matting. That is how I want to do it. I want for it to be a complete gift that they do not have to do anything to and have it look complete and finished. They are not picky so I am not worried. I just wondered what you guys thought. My dh thinks I should use a dark wood frame that I have already used on another painting I did. If you click on the painting it will take you to my art and it is the frame that I used on the painting "Jacksonville."

• oceanna
    16 years ago

What a special gift this is to come from your heart and your talents and be something so meaningful to the happy couple. I'd take it into a frame shop or Michaels and try out different things on it in person. Once I found what I liked best, I'd look for a good price. Good luck!

• funkyart
    16 years ago

Oh, I don't think there's drama-- just very different views on gifts. I didn't intend to stir up drama... my apologies if my response bent anyone out of shape. I pretty much speak my mind without candy coating. :)

I do agree that a frame makes it a "package" and all the more special. I think the frame your DH likes would work-- I think the one on "Bedtime" would work also. A lot is lost in a photo of a painting -- the color, brightness and presense are all off just a bit so I'd suggest that you should pick the one you think works best with your painting. You'll know it when it works!

I like your paintings.. I don't think they look like a child painted them at all. I do think they have a hint of a bright childlike vision .. they made me smile. Apparently my paintings have a childlike darkness to them haha. My ex told me not to show him anymore of my paintings because they scared him. hahah Oh well.

• bettycbowen
    16 years ago

I wasn't sure of the media, so, if it is on canvas, it would do well with a linen liner and a contemporary (as in) very plain, very dark (maybe not black) wide, possibly distressed, FLAT frame. If it is on paper, it deserves no less than Crescent 100 rag, in any of their off-white or cream colors, and the same frame. Your friends will (or they should) cherish this gift, and it deserves to be treated with the utmost respect.

That being said, as for the "child did it" thing.... A. Picasso said, "All children are artists. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up.", and, as a middle school art teacher as well as a well taught and exhibiting artist, I know that to be absolutely true. and b., the most important quality in art (ANY art throughout time) is a personally meaningful idea, and you have that, so BRAVO!, properly frame and give this wonderful gift with confidence.

• amykath
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all!!! What nice words to hear. It is on canvas and I am probably going to mat and frame it and see if there is not a protectant I could use on the mat. I just love mats more than the material thing.

Again, you are all so kind to say such nice things about my painting and the thought behind it.

Funkyart,
    Funny, I always thought my paintings were dark. The one that is the three piece and abstract kills my dh. He thinks it is very violent. haha

• cindyxeus
    16 years ago

Funkyart...being you say you don't like to candy coat things...LOL.. than let me be perfectly blunt as well.
    Art is personal. It's personal to the artist and to the buyer. When Art is given as a gift "the art" becomes a different kind of personal experience. As lovely as a painting might be ( and to the OP this is a very nice painting) it's now more about the gift of one's self to another than it is about what calls one to "art".
    If i was having an art show I would want my frame to highlight my painting the way I see it. If I was giving a painting as a gift I think giving a gift certificate for a frame is a way the receiver can make it more personal to them on an artistic level.

• patricianat
    16 years ago

AKTillery, nice piece of artwork and nice gesture. Whatever you do, I know it will look good because I have seen pictures of your home. :)

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    16 years ago

It's a risky move. I once bought a beautiful piece of art for a very good friend of mine - glass, matting, frame, everything. A few years later she paid to have it *shipped* back to me from Michigan to Florida!!! (We are still best friends but as you can see, it was not a good gift.)

• kim2007
    16 years ago

As someone who has worked as an artist since I was in my teens and thus has framed lots of work, I'd say you have to take the painting in to the frame shop and try different liners and frames together in order to find what works best for each given painting or drawing. Sometimes it turns out to be some combination you never expected, and sometimes the framer actually has the better eye for what would look the best. I found that a good framer can put together something that really sets the painting or other type of piece off, and I often deferred to her choice even though I was sure before I went in that I knew what I wanted for it.
    And it is indeed a very lovely, evocative painting!