Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stu2900

What's on your kitchen or dining table for spring and summer?

stu2900
14 years ago

I've put away the easter decorations and just can't come up with anything for this time of year, so I'm looking for ideas. Honestly, I think my brain is fried. I can't even remember what I had on the table last year.

Comments (32)

• Sujafr
    14 years ago

I'm for keeping it simple, at least on the kitchen table--just a vase of fresh irises right now.

• nhb22
    14 years ago

I am also for simple on the kitchen table. Right now it has a twig candle base with column candles. That goes outside as soon as the pollen has stopped falling, to be replaced with a bowl of fruit, or vase full of peonies (I'll be sure to make sure the ants are all off the blooms this year :-))

This is what's on my dining room table.
    {{!gwi}}

• igloochic
    14 years ago

Honestly...currently the dinning room mantle top piece is on the formal dinning room table :) It does hampeser dinning a tad bit...but it's pretty....The rest of the mantle is leaning against the table...

the family dinning room table has a white urn full of fresh mint springs from the garden. Every once in a while I'll add flowers from the garden to the mint, so it rotates views often, but it sort of just says spring to me.

It would be incredibly elegant, except today a jet plane crashed into it and left a wing and tail fin in it...so I guess i have to go pick some more mint LOL But the blue tail fin does look pretty with the green mint if you learn to enjoy twisted floral works....

• lynninnewmexico
    14 years ago

For Summer, I'll use this Talavera planter arrangementI made a while back. The planter itself is 2-ft. long. I need a big centerpiece because my table is 9 1/2 long and pretty massive.

At the moment, I'm trying to come up with a Spring centerpiece using this ceramic sheep that I bought recently at the antique mall, and this vintage embroidered runner. I did this table for my DD's birthday last month, but most of it, obviously, won't be part of my Spring table centerpiece. I may use the pink flower candleholders, but am hoping to come up with something a bit larger.
    Lynn
    {{gwi:1415540}}
    Lynn

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

Bills right now!

• lynninnewmexico
    14 years ago

Angie, your fish planters are fantastic . . . I love them!!! Did you find them in a store or at an art show? They look like custom pieces. How fun!
    Lynn

• fluffybutt
    14 years ago

Well you are doing better than me. I still have my Easter decorations on my tables. I guess if I were to change it out it would probably be a bowl of fruit.

• chicagoans
    14 years ago

Oh gosh, one more thing to do before we have a dinner party for 10 on Friday!

Right now my dining room table is "decorated" with the sewing machine (new pillow case for DD's giant sized pillow), and the seat of her desk chair (getting recovered with the same cute fabric.)

Let's see, last week it was decorated with DS' Civil War display board (5th grade project) and last year's torn Merriwether Lewis costume (4th grade project), that I re-stitched for my friend's son to use as Daniel Boone. (How would we do these school projects if we didn't have a sewing machine?!)

Yep, it's definitely time to finish up the projects and get some decorations. Love the pictures above!

• hoosiergirl
    14 years ago

Just a pot of stargazer lilies that I found at HD -- they smell heavenly!

• natal
    14 years ago

Angie, those fish are a hoot!

• angiedfw
    14 years ago

I got those fish heads at the Ft. Worth Main Street Art Festival this year. The artist is Denise Greenwood. She is adorable and her ceramic art is something between Tim Burton and Spongebob. Her human figures are fantastic.

And those aren't staying on my table; I'm mounting them to the wall of our pool house when we get it built :) But they are there right now LOL!

Here is a link that might be useful: Denise Greenwood website

• natal
    14 years ago

I've seen her stuff at FestForAll and the Three Rivers Festival in Covington, LA. Looks like she's going to be at FFA next weekend.

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

A Heater!!! Where is Spring and Summer????? Here in California (believe it or not) we have had so few days of sun that I feel like I've moved north to Washington....if the sun would ever stay out, I would put a big huge pitcher filled with sunflowers!

• pammyfay
    14 years ago

A clear square glass bowl holding some egg-shaped beach glass pieces (from Ikea) and a piece of white coral. (I think I've kept it there for a few seasons! Oops!)

• summiebee
    14 years ago

I have a ramie table runner from Target and a glass vase filled with beach sands and I have been trying to find some sanddollars and starfish locally. :) I am going on the hunt again today!

Here is a link that might be useful: ramie runner

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

Who is that blonde lady on the food network that does the tablescapes? Oh yeah, the show is called Semi Homemade, I almost gag when I see some of those ridiculous looking tablescapes she does. Sometimes you can over do things IMO.
    Meanwhile, she has her own show and I don't.

....Jane

• cliff_and_joann
    14 years ago

Angis, love those fish heads.

Kitchen table, has one of my cherished bonasi, a gift from my youngest son, the planter
    is a gift from my oldest son, he brought it back from a trip to Mexico. The Bonsai is about 12 years old.
    It's one of three cherished Bonsai that we have.

The big fish, again is a gift from our youngest son, he brought it back from a trip. Except for the flowers, everything is dried from our garden. I just change out the flowers seasonally.

• tuesday_2008
    14 years ago

I have a deep brickish red pottery vase with an artificial (I promise they look real) arrangement of flowers that include red poppies, yellow forsythia, some greenish yellow small clumps of berries, and a few other non-floral pieces of which I do not know the name. They are arrangeed loose and natural looking. I use these in the spring, summer, and fall because they match the color scheme in my DR. Sometimes I use red placemats, sometimes a golden yellow runner with a fruity design. I have a few vintage glass pieces that I trade out beside the arrangement, i.e. amber and green - somestimes a cake stand, fruit bowl, or other pedestal dishes. I have a couple of fall (pumpkin) tiered pieces that I use during Halloween/Thanksgiving.

I have a separate winter floral/berry arrangement that I use starting in December and usually keep out until the first of March. I try not to put anything too Christmassy in this arrangement and it looks good all winter. Usually use a couple of pewter candlesticks with red candles. This past winter I placed some old mercury striped Christmas ornaments in the dishes.

When I change out my florals, I tie a ribbon around them before storing them so they are easier to pop in the vase without a lot of fuss.

Tuesday

• bungalow_house
    14 years ago

Same thing as fall and winter: Lego, books, and matchbox cars. They are seasonless, no?

• igloochic
    14 years ago

LMAO Jane I had to go figure out who that was and see some "scapes". They're lovely...if you don't actually EAT at the table LOL Some of the favors are edible though...which is good cuz there's no room for anything resembling some chicken and vegis....

Bungalow..I find legos to be sort of declasse' past February. We move to Thomas trains...much more spring like :)

I actually do have two dining room tables and can report happily we are enjoying a huge urn full of mint from the garden as well as tulips and iris from the same location :) I adore fresh mint and verbena (am I spelling that right) so it's all over the house. It roots in the water so all you have to do is drain it every feew days and change out the flowers or leave it just mint and it's wonderful.

I also have lilacs blooming now so they're tucked here and there all over the house. I hate my garden, but love the flowers LOL How goofy is that?

• excessfroufrou
    14 years ago

This is the kitchen table.

This is the sunroom table.

• bungalow_house
    14 years ago

...bringing out the Lego Beach House and RV sets....

• redroze
    14 years ago

Giant pink peonies straight from our garden in the summertime, on our kitchen table. They need nothing else to me, they're perfection!

• littledog
    14 years ago

This week we have a pair of corn salt and pepper shakers, a glass butter churn and a round wooden buttermold.

• spiceislands
    14 years ago

I started w/a wooden tray and added to it a plant, candles, couple of cute metal birds in a "nest" made of dried floral material, and a decorative ball thing-y from Pier 1 (kinda hard to describe...has a votive candle inside). Sounds like a mess when I re-read this but actually does look nice:).

• Oakley
    14 years ago

Here's mine. Excuse the blurry picture. I love Hydrangea's and I grow them outside, have them on my wallpaper and found a silk Hydrangea arrangement for the DR table.

• positano
    14 years ago

I'm like redroze and pick anything that is out in the garden or yard. First the hyacinths,then forsythia, lilacs, peonies, hydrangeas and daisies. I can go most of the year without buying flowers. Love them!

From kitchen april 20010
    From April 2009

• ttodd
    14 years ago

Does yard sale stuff count?

• Oakley
    14 years ago

Positano, I'm hoping one day I'll be able to have lots of cut flowers for the house. This is the 2nd year on my new flower bed which has a bit of everything.

Is that a blue Hydrangea on your table? I bought a new Hydrangea the other day and it's full of blue blooms, but I know once I get it in the ground they'll turn pink. But thta's okay!

• busybee3
    14 years ago

oakleyok--- i think if you feed your hydrangea miracid, it will help them stay blue.....

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

Or you can use used coffee grounds to make the ground acidic!

Redroze can you send me some of those gorgeous Peonies??? To die for! We don't have peonies here in California :(