Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kevinmp_gw

My new Stickley nightstand has arrived, and now I need some help

KevinMP
11 years ago

My new nightstand has arrived (finally). For those of you who don't know/recall, I bought a floor model Stickley mahogany dresser from a local furniture store last summer on clearance (about 60% off MSRP, which is still insane at just shy of $3800 on sale). But Stickley had discontinued the line (why it was on clearance) and I wanted to get a nightstand to match. At the time, I had just bought the Henkel Harris pineapple bed (#24 cherry finish, which very closes matches the Stickley mahogany in the Hampton (#1) finish) and the dresser to "match." I looked everywhere, and no one had any stock of the Stickley nightstand I wanted.

So one day, I asked the same store where I bought the dresser to call the factory to see if the factory had any white stock of that style of dresser (white stock is furniture that's been made but is waiting to be finished and lacks hardware). After Stickley made the banded mahogany version I have (it's solid, not veneer and is "banded" by using a silkscreen technique) and discontinued it, they went to a solid in the same fluted style but with different hardware. But that solid was discontinued, too. So the nightstand in white stock was solid. After checking with their engineers, they got back to me and said they had enough of the matching hardware to do the nightstand and that the engineers could specially make the banded treatment for me (at a slight up charge).

So, 10 weeks later, I received it, and it's perfect. It's hard to imagine being able to get this sort of treatment, and I truly commend Stickley (and my local furniture store, which had the idea to see if Stickley had any lying around anyhow). It was pricey, however, at $1950. But worth it (to me, at least).

So now, I've pushed the bed over toward the windows and French door, and it's given me great space when you walk into the room. But I cannot decide what type of lamp to get and where to hang art. All ideas appreciated. (I had bought a Ralph Lauren blue and white ceramic/porcelain lamp, but I hated it once I put it on the nightstand, so that's out.)

I think most of you know that I just had the drapes made, etc., so don't comment about those being changed out. You may also know that I'm still hunting for a plain duvet that will work so that I can fold up the quilt at the end of the bed, but that hasn't come up yet. Thank you all.

This post was edited by KevinMP on Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 12:05

Comments (18)

• lazydaisynot
    11 years ago

The first thing that comes to mind is a pair of hard-wired sconces flanking the bed. Maybe brass. You'd need to either choose styles with switches, or install wall switches a bit above nightstand level on either side. We have wall switches. While not optimal visually, it is a very convenient arrangement.

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

I like the idea of swing arm sconces and here are two other choices that I thought you might like although the top one may be too deep.
    {{!gwi}}

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

Can you move the bed over a little bit more? It just seems as if everything is mashed in there.

And, to my eye, as was pointed out earlier, maybe a larger painting on the wall adjacent to your beautiful Stickley nightstand. Might be worth a try to see how it looks!

I love this room, you are doing a beautiful job.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    11 years ago

How about a classic brass bouillotte lamp? I've linked one, that while not real Chapman, is identical to the real one that I have. The shade here is different, but what a buy for this style lamp.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bouillotte two light table brass lamp with shade

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

Imari?

Here is a link that might be useful: Bellacor

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

Bouillottes

Here is a link that might be useful: Bellacor

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

Kind of Asian-Moderne but I like it anyway

Here is a link that might be useful: Horchow Lacquered Pagoda

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

Visual Comfort Tea caddy lamp

Here is a link that might be useful: Visual Comfort Chart House

• teacats
    11 years ago

Maybe this one?

Here is a link that might be useful: bellacor -- visual comfort antique brass dorchester swing arm light

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ogrose, I hadn't taken that picture straight-on, so perhaps these pictures are better. It's not the least bit crowded, but you have to appreciate that this is a small house. That doesn't mean I couldn't have purchased a narrower nightstand, but I didn't really want a smaller one. The room is a bit goofy because it's five sided and the fifth side is angled for some stupid reason. Why they didn't just build it symmetrical with the other side I'll never know. So there's still about 30" on the other side of the bed by the French doors where the bed is now, but I wouldn't want it any tighter over there. There's about 35" on the side with the nightstand (about 3" between it and the bed and 2" between it and the wall"). I think it's fine, and it's so much better than the 26" deep living room tables that were previously in there.

Anyhow, one of the good things about living in the city and in an old part of town is that my neighbors have things I can borrow for ideas. So, here's an idea similar to one of Pal's ideas. The shade and harp aren't right, but it still shows what this style would look like. This neighbor also has a few brass bouillotte lamps, but they're too short to try here.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I think bedside tables should pretty much fill the space, so this is good.

With a bigger shade a base like this could work, but so would a base with a larger diameter.

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pal, do you think this lamp (assuming it had the right shade) is too tall? What's the appropriate height given the posts on the bed?

I also "won" four framed prints of old watercolors of historic parts of Philadelphia that were printed onto watercolor paper and framed in classic, narrow black and gold frames at silent auction for one of the local organizations I'm involved with, so those may be in the running for the wall where the black framed oil painting is. But I may also try them on the wall in my dining room where the large canvas art is, too. But I haven't yet picked them up from around the corner, so I'll have to post about them later in the week.

This post was edited by KevinMP on Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 13:58

• User
    11 years ago

You def need a wider lamp shade for the bedside table. If you read in bed it should be tall enough to throw light onto your book. The current shade drops the light on the table. I like the sound of the prints you describe and would wait for those before moving any artwork.

Another very useful item for a bedside table is a nice clock with a big enough dial and/ or lighted face you can see in low light, and either a small tole tray or leather or wood box for reading glasses, your watch if you've forgotten to take it off, your tv remote, phone, etc.

There are very nice carriage clocks in brass or even pewter, which would be a nice additional color and metal in your house, as well as historically in keeping. Aged pewter might be a nice change for sconces also.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I would want a taller shade and maybe a bit wider than the bottom of this one. The height of the base is not bad but I think you could go a bit higher.

• allison0704
    11 years ago

I wouldn't go any taller than the Imari lamp you borrowed. Do you own anything you can have made into a lamp - something that pulls the blue from the rug would be nice.

I purchased a deep blue cigar jar that had been made into a lamp from an online source. It's on DH side, which has a chest very similar to yours. I'll attach, so you can see what I'm talking about. He keeps it pulled over too far, and I hope the cat never pushes it off. I have a local lamp shop that makes lamps from found objects and I've taken things to her as well.

The watercolors sound interesting. Look forward to seeing them.

{{!gwi}}

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

Yes, I see what you mean, Kevin. The latest picture shows there is plenty of room.

Love that lamp; they're having a sale and I'm really tempted!

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Kevin, that type of lamp and the colors in it look great in your room. This is some advice I was given previously regarding bedside lamps: When you are sitting in bed, the bottom of the shade should be just above your shoulder to create the perfect reading light.

You probably already know this, but I am editing to post additional information I was given:

Shade height should be about 3/4 the height of the base.

Reading lamps need a wider shade to provide plenty of light.

Be sure you have 2-3 inch separation from bulb to shade, especially for higher wattage bulbs. Be sure the top opening is wide enough to vent the heat. Compact Fluorescent bulbs are great for most lamps because they burn cooler, but you may need larger harp since CFL's are taller than standard light bulbs.

The best way to determine the bottom diameter of the shade for your table lamp is to measure the lamp height from the bottom edge of the table lamp base to the top of the lamp stem, (just below the socket cap)

The shade you choose for your lamp should have a bottom diameter that is within 2âÂÂ, plus or minus, the measured height of your lamp. For example if your lamp height (measured from the bottom of the lamp to just below the socket) is 14â tall, the shade you select (depending on your preference for a small, medium, or larger looking shade) should have a bottom diameter of 12âÂÂ, 13âÂÂ, 14âÂÂ, 15â or 16âÂÂ.

Round lamp base - round or hexagonal shade

Square or angular base - square shade

Mix opposites to make a contemporary statement

By the way, I forgot to mention that your nightstand is just beautiful.

This post was edited by walnutcreek on Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 15:55

• jen9
    11 years ago

A chunky urn lamp

Here is a link that might be useful: circa lighting