Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbedelman_gw

Which Robot Do You Have

sbedelman
14 years ago

Forgive me if this has been covered but I searched repeatedly and only found a few posts about pool robots. If I missed something I apologize (but please point me to thread if you would) but if not if people would be willing to post their experiences, particularly if they have owned various kinds.

I started out looking at the Polaris line but the more I looked I began to wonder how the pressure driven robots compared to the electric ones. The latter are certainly a lot more expensive but from the posts I've seen nobody seems all that pleased with even the top of the line Polaris's. Maybe other brands are better but there sure are a lot of folks who say they've rebuilt their Polaris more than once and finally gave up and threw it out. Is this fairly characteristic of most of the mechanical pressure units?

As for the electrics people sound more satisfied. While some people have had issues with breakdowns, but I notice that most people who own electrics but started with a mechanical appear happy or at least enough happier that I've yet to see a post from someone who trashed his electric to buy a pressure driven.

So if you've got some tales to tell I'd really like to hear them. Frankly cost is less an issue to me than whether the darn thing works (ie cleans the pool well enough that it does the bulk of the work). Not that I expect it to be perfect. Scrubbing the tile line or the steps really isn't a big deal at all. But if one is going to spend $1000+ for a robot it would be nice to understand what it can and cannot do and hence if is it worth it vs doing it myself by hand (or hiring a service).

Thanks.

Comments (20)

• tommyw
    14 years ago

You can't go wrong with a Polaris. I have the original 180 that is now over 15 yrs old and works great. If I were you I'd buy the 280 with it's own pump and backup valve. Best cleaner for the $$$ IMHO.

• nctal
    14 years ago

I've got a Polaris 280 and no complaints. Builder said he went with 280 even though there are newer models because of its reliability and ease of repair if something does wear out or break down. Cleans well ... easy in and out of the pool if I have company over and easy to swim around if I leave it in.

• sbedelman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Polaris sure has added a lot of models...the 380, 3900 and 480. Anybody using any of these?

Anybody using electric robots?

The young child robot used to be a good option but the cost to own is prohibitive these days. You can't even rent one since everyone else's are all booked up with "activities." Whatever happened to good old-fashioned child labor?

• greenoaks
    14 years ago

I just replaced my original Polaris 280 with a new one it wore out after about 10 years. My pool is in a heavily treed area and there is always something falling in at the moment it is the acorns. I leave it in the pool pretty much permanently and it is on a timer so it cleans from about 4 to 6 am everyday. I have been really happy with the way it performs and after 10 years of daily use I guess it was destined to wear out. I also like having a pressure side cleaner because of the high amount of debris that is gathered throughout the year, I don't worry about it clogging the skimmer.

• sbedelman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Beautiful pool. I especially like the way the rocks looks against the greenery.

One question. Did you consider any of the newer Polaris models and if so why did you decide to pass?

• greenoaks
    14 years ago

I did consider the other return side models but opted to go with what I knew had served me well, I checked other pool forums and online reviews and found that many preferred the plain old 280 for its basic ability and ease of use, not to say that some other model won't work as well I just prefer something I know that has worked for me over the past 10 years. Let us know what you choose and how you like it, I find these forums most useful for making final choices.

• dssxxxx
    14 years ago

Used a pressure cleaner attached to the skimmer the first couple of years and could not put up with the constant cleaning of the filter.

Have used a Aquabot for the past 20 years and have found them to be the best unit on the market. Repairs/parts are easy to find.

Dolphins are the same principle but repairs are expensive and service centers are very hard to find (parents have used Dolphins for over 20 years).

• sbedelman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Any suggestions as to which Aquabot model?

• dssxxxx
    14 years ago

I have the Bravo and it cleans my pool 36 x 22 kidney, 9 ft deep, in 1 hour.

• coolpool08
    14 years ago

I have a the Polaris 280 and love it. Its easy to put in and take out and does a great job.

• thejimbar
    14 years ago

Polaris 380 with booster pump. No problems, love it.

• stewartg
    14 years ago

I'm thinking of getting an electric drop in robot, only because I do NOT want that line in my pool all the time. The PB we interviewed tonight does not like the pop up pressure sprayers that push the debris to a central drain basin. He says they are not reliable.

BTW greenoaks, that is a gorgeous pool. The boulders are amazing. Are they real? (They sure look it!)

• kaatluvr
    14 years ago

We had a Dolphin for about 3 years and it ust quit working! We liked it a lot, but to repair it cost more than to purchase a new one! Now we have an Aquabot Turbo and I believe it is a superior machine. We purchased it from Costco online and it came with an extended warranty. If anything goes wrong during the warranty period we can return it to Costco. Also, it came with a DVD showing how to repair a lot of issues yourself. We are happy with the Aquabot.

• rockmama
    14 years ago

Purchased the Aquabot Turbo for $1,000 3 years ago. Best investment in pool cleaning that I ever made.

• John Fitzpatrick
    14 years ago

My sister and brother-in-law swear by their dolphin. Not sure what model. They have a dual main drain and two skimmers. They didn't like that the Polaris was designed to kick up debris and let the main filter get it. The dolphin's finer filter actually gets the small stuff.

We're building a new pool and will have an in-floor cleaning system. Will this work better with a Polaris? Will a Polaris, Dolphin or Aqua-Bot have a problem with the in-floor jets in their retracted position?

• angiedfw
    14 years ago

Re: in-floor cleaning Our pb said that he doesn't recommend them because he believes that putting a whole bunch of holes in the bottom of the pool will compromise the integrity of the pool eventually. Made sense to me, but wonder what the experts on the forum think.

• angiedfw
    14 years ago

I forgot to add that the pb also said that with our soil type, the pop up heads will get easy clogged and will quit working. They quoted us 8k to install it, which sounds like a lot of money for a cleaning system that is a PITA.

• clanch
    14 years ago

We have two robots, ages eight and ten. One problem, they more of a mess than they clean up.

• womanowned
    14 years ago

The Polaris 280 is a work horse. Great cleaner. Hayward's Tiger Shark is a very good electric robot.