Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bethannepeace_gw

Our couch chaise extends 6inches over French door way

bethannepeace
9 years ago

Our couch chaise extends 6inches over French door way. Is this okay?

Living room is painted brown in photo. The couch chaise would stick out on right side of doorway. 6inches.

Is this okay?

This post was edited by bethannepeace on Mon, May 26, 14 at 2:19

Comments (9)

• bethannepeace
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This photo shows the view from the dining room into the living room. The chaise would stick out 6 in on the left side of the french doorway.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Sorry, I wouldn't like it...6" is quite a bit. It would feel off to me, like a trip hazard... if the chaise is up against the wall.

However, if the chaise is more into the middle of the room, a few feet away from the doorway, it'd be fine.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I agree with Annie with one caveat. Is this a rental or a new purchase? If it is a rental, I would not consider buying anything as big (expensive) as a sofa new to fit the space, but I would play with what I had and make it work. It is a lovely place no matter what!

Also, don't be wedded to the idea that you can't switch the rooms. Depending on your layout, that could work.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

It's going to look awkward because of the size of the room and all the space on the other side of the room, which is where the chaise part of the sofa really should be.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

It would bother me. Is there another possible layout for your room? I agree with Cyn that if it's a rental definitely work with what you have.

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

I wouldn't do it. If you have room to move it further to the left side of room shown, it would give you some space as Annie suggested. If you are trying to center it in front of the fireplace, this isn't necessary and would look fine moved over. If you are hanging a TV, I'd put it in the right corner and rotate the couch. Unless it blocks a door we can't see. Measure your couch and use masking tape on the floor in various locations, or place boxes of same size. This will give you some idea as to flow and location.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'd put it so that the long section is facing the French doors and it's back in front of the windows, but pulled out from the wall.Big coffee table in the center, and at least one easy chair on a diagonal in front of the FP, facing the sofa.

• luckygal
    9 years ago

Could you angle the chaise so it doesn't extend into the doorway? I always think chaises look better angled.