Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdibartolo

If you could do anything to this kitchen.....

If you could do anything to this kitchen what would you do? The tile is way too busy and there are too many colors. We have to move in 3 weeks and I have no idea what to do. I would like to get the kitchen done before the move and an open to anything ie painting cabinets and changing out backsplash/ vent hood. I would like to keep the counter tops but am open to any suggestions about the other items. Pictures are welcome too!

Comments (58)

• houssaon
    11 years ago
    Ditto to what anitajoyce said. I like the counter tops.
  • diannagail
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Well here is what I would do. Paint the cabinets and island base a deeper warm off white, different shade than the walls. Add nice knobs and handles in a pewter finish, the hood is what needs to be neutralized. Painted the same as cabinets and finally if you could a new wood floor in a deeper brown color. Maybe a walnut. Keep it clean looking not with a grainy look. Maybe a hand hewed look. Then have fun with adding accent color. Tea kettle, pottery.etc. Your new kitchen looks wonderful and even better with a few tweaks. Here's to years of happiness and good health in your new home!
  • janesflame
    11 years ago
    I am not usually a fan of granite or marble counter-tops but those are beautiful. You're right though, that kitchen is awfully busy. Despite your feeling that there are too many colors, there actually isn't enough color. Many shades of brown, tan, cream, etc. don't give the feeling of color. My first thought was, get rid of the back-splash and vent-hood without question. It's definitely the busiest part of the equation. If you're willing to do anything, I suggest a dark rich hardwood floor that blends with the cabinets. The cabinets appear to be in pretty good shape. Paint that kitchen island! Pick your favorite color but make sure it's subdued. For some reason I keep picturing a deep teal. Then, back-splash in a muted teal glass tile of solid or varying tones. You could either go with a stainless vent-hood or use the glass tile for that as well, it would be quite stunning. There appears to be plenty of light in the room so you might tone down those walls with the deeper ivory or tan color from the counters. Hope that gives you some idea's.
  • Adrienne Isbell
    11 years ago
    Stain the island darker, and get rid of that backsplash hood vent combo. It's too many colors and textures. I'd try to match the island to the cabinets, OR make the backsplash and hood vent a dark espresso and the island the same.
  • Adrienne Isbell
    11 years ago
    Stain the island darker, and get rid of that backsplash hood vent combo. It's too many colors and textures. I'd try to match the island to the cabinets, OR make the backsplash and hood vent a dark espresso and the island the same.
  • PRO
    Megan DiBartolo REALTOR (R) The Winnett Group
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Wow, thank you all for the support and guidance. I would love wood floors but this area is connected to a family room with the same travertine floors so I will need to keep the floors the way they are. Here are some additional photos...
  • PRO
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Oh, and we are moving into this home in 3 weeks.
  • bdennison
    11 years ago
    Love the granite and cabinets. Maybe paint just the island a neutral and change the backsplash and hood. Keep it simple and let the granite be the star. Whatever you decide, it is a beautiful kitchen Enjoy your new home.
  • michigammemom
    11 years ago
    You have a lot of high end surfaces in your kitchen and I particularly like the basket weave backsplash with your unique granite. It's too bad that the previous owners added the less subtle harlequin pattern above it. I agree that the range hood is the element that is over the top in terms of pattern overload. I would suggest a curved French Country style hood in stainless.
    French Country · More Info
  • greenthumb2
    11 years ago
    I would look at having a skilled gc replace your hood and cover part of the backsplash. I would ask the gc if they can cover in another product instead of destroying the tile. If a gc can do this for you in 3 weeks, keep their card because you will think of them as a God send. The finish work for this must be precise...If you don't like more stainless showing; ask the gc to get a hood in your darker cabinet color.

You can probably have a stainless hood installed and a coordinating black glass backsplash. Don't cover the entire backsplash...just in line with your stove. :=) I think that may be a viable solution. Because, in my mind, it is actually the stainless steel that is making the other items look strange.

Black kitchen runner rugs will anchor your flooring. Dark stain the island to match your cabinets. I think this should do it! :+) wild ideas, but, have a professional draw a mock up of the suggestions. You'll see, they will work.

It is a beautiful place. No sense in destroying if not necessary.
  • nomadkath
    11 years ago
    if I could only do one thing, it would be replace the hood.....make it wider and single color. If the back splash tile behind the stove drives you crazy, replace that too. My second would be to paint the walls......you have lots of lee way with the warm, neutral shades.....I think a faded blue gray would be nice....complimentary color to the creamy counter and slightly orangey floor........or green as constancemary suggested..........you could always put that part off til after the move if you want to debate color...
  • rosiegabby
    11 years ago
    I agree with the others regarding - need to change hood and backsplash. The diamond pattern on both is the main problem. I also think you should find a curved hood in keeping with the arch above and a soft green paint color would be nice.
  • Natalie
    11 years ago
    Hi---easy fix. Your room is a bit busy, but it's unique and the backsplash and counter work as they are the same color-the floor is off-as it has pinky/peach undertones... So I suggest you change the hood to a solid tile (color of light square) and install a different floor either in wood looking porcelain tile or hardwood in a dark stain, slighter lighter than your dark cabinets. Then paint your walls SW 7038 Tony Taupe or SW 7039 Virutal Taupe. Pic for inspiration... Good Luck!
    [houzz=
    Traditional Kitchen · More Info
    ]
  • Natalie
    11 years ago
    Found this kitchen---busy, but it works. CheerS!
    [houzz=
    Traditional Kitchens · More Info
    ]
  • Jeffery Rost
    11 years ago
    many high end finishes in your new kitchen congrats !! Seems like a waste to get rid of them. keeping everything simple will help to anchor the room, dark runner rugs, and a darker stained island, or if you leave the wall color painted the island white. Add accessories with a light hand. knobs and pulls and new light fixtures (didn't see pictures of those),so just a thought to tie the room together.
  • 007rocky1
    11 years ago
    I love your granite counters, your cupboards a very lovely but they do need handles maybe something to match your faucet. I would paint out the island the same as your cabinets or more the color of your walls. The range hood I would find a large stainless steel curved hood vent, than in just the stove area walls I would put tiles that look like stainless steel. The other tiles will not look so busy once you make the changes to everything else. Your floor looks to pinky if time allows I would put down hardwood flooring. Good luck on your move.
  • PRO
    Stanton Designs-online design services
    11 years ago
    The over hood is the first thing that stuck out to me....
  • PRO
    Granite Transformations
    11 years ago
    I'd address that hood too, it's a sore thumb. I'd replace it with a stainless steel or antique copper hood, then I'd replace the tile behind it to a mosaic.

Next, I'd paint the walls to bring some warmth to your kitchen. Something in the grey/tan family perhaps.

Lastly, I'd replace those counters with a recycled glass. You can see a few here that would work nicely- http://www.granitetransformations.com/southjersey/products/recycled-glass-countertops/colors/
  • Jubi Arriola_Headley
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    You've got some great suggestions here, so I'm more synthesizing the ones I think would really help - and that you might possibly have time to complete before your move-in - if you start in literally like 20 minutes from now. :-)

1. The hood. I agree that you should so something in stainless, that mimics the curve of the arch above.

2. The backsplash. I'd like to see something in a creamy stacked stone look. It'd reinforce the idea of a hearth.

3. Hardware. Adding knobs/pulls to all the cabinets, in a nice nickel finish, would do a better job or relating the cabinets to the appliances.

4. The blond wood islands. Looks like you have two. I am assuming the two-tiered one in the foreground of the picture (I can only see the counter, not the base cabinets) is the same blond wood color as the one directly opposite the range, with the prep sink. I would love to see them painted a similar white to your baseboards - easy-ish fix to make sure they relate to the dark cabinets and all the other existing elements.

I would NOT touch:

1. The counters. They are the stars of the show.

2 The dark cabinets. I think they relate well to the beams above and are quite a lovely stain.

3. The floors. I happen to like travertine myself, and depending where you are in the country, it can actually be almost as desirable as hardwood.

4. The walls. I know, in theory, it's the easiest fix. BUT:

First, you mention that the kitchen is open to a family room, and I am betting that that a LOT of walls are that color. Where to begin and end?

Second, I don't think it'll really solve any issues. It's a nice antique white color that seems to complement the existing elements nicely. At least to me.

One last thing that's bugging me a little - and maybe some cabinet experts can answer this - is it possible to get a matching filler piece for the space between the fridge and the cabinets above? It's not the biggest deal, but it would look more finished to me if that space was more filled in.
  • ndolson
    11 years ago
    I would do one thing at a time. Does not need a complete overhaul. Change the range hood first. To me, it is the most distracting. The back splash wouldn't bother me as much without the distracting hood. If you have stainless in the room, change it to that. Step back and look. If that doesn't completely solve the problem, I think a hardwood floor would be better than all that tile...and warmer on your feet.
  • Christine W
    11 years ago
    If you have sky's the limit bank then I would change out the countertops and appliances. Your appliance sure are shiny and you might want to consider investing in appliance that have false doors to mirror the cabinets.

Your tile is wonderful but the countertops have too much movement and overpower the space. If you have a large outdoor kitchen you can repurpose the kitchen counter tops and then once you dress the space a bit with italian plates or paintings it will look more cohesive.
  • Christine W
    11 years ago
    If you have sky's the limit bank then I would change out the countertops and appliances. Your appliance sure are shiny and you might want to consider investing in appliance that have false doors to mirror the cabinets.

Your tile is wonderful but the countertops have too much movement and overpower the space. If you have a large outdoor kitchen you can repurpose the kitchen counter tops and then once you dress the space a bit with italian plates or paintings it will look more cohesive.
  • User
    11 years ago
    Agree with others that the major issue is the hood and backsplash. I would change the hood to a stainless steel that mimicked the arch. For the tile backsplash, given the pattern on the countertops and flooring, I think I would keep it simple without a pattern. One possibility would be to find a dark tile that approximated the color of the cabinets to bring that color around the room.
  • Greenthumz
    11 years ago
    Wow. Guess I'm way in the minority. I really do think the countertops are too busy. I can see the new hood, but I really think the tile work is nice. JMO, hope everything goes well with the move.
  • nevadan
    11 years ago
    I think it is beautiful as is. Live with it a while - you may come to like it. If not, you can change it later. Don't rush!!
  • PRO
    Gharbuilder.com
    11 years ago
    Yet, there has definitely been a shift in the kind of kitchens that have become part of my kitchen files,There should be changing in the backsplash or stainless would make a big change your kitchen.

For more design help go to
    http://www.gharbuilder.com/Kitchen/kitchen-modular.php
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    11 years ago
    Hi mdibartolo, Marie here.

WRONG - the countertops are wayy to busy with the cork flooring AND the backsplash.
    You need to make a decision here. replace the flooring and the backsplash, or replace the countertops.

The lesser of the two evils in my mind are the countertops to a soft cream to pearl white colour, update your paint to pick up on the subtle undertones of gray - there is way too much yellow going on in this kitchen!

See my updated photograph of your kitchen with lighter less noisy countertops, different paint.

Good luck to you!
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    11 years ago
    With the hood fan a different colour
  • Kaitlyn S
    11 years ago
    The wood doesn't match. I'd paint all the wood a creamy white, change the granite and then look again before going through the mess of changing out the tile.
  • greenthumb2
    11 years ago
    Hi again mdibartolo,

The lighting could also be a culprit here. Softer indirect under cabinet lighting will help soften this space. The stainless is highly reflective.

Turn all the lights off in there and then go through the kitchen space and try your "already installed" bulbs with color and wattage. Maybe changing your bulbs will help you see your space in a different way. I sometimes use an incandescent to help me see where the light should be softened.

Most of us forget about how important lighting is to our mind's eye. When the lighting is wrong, our eye sees things a bit differently. Hope this gives some inexpensive and more relaxing solution.
  • lucytea
    11 years ago
    for me the main problem is the different woods of the cabinets and the island bases. I echo painting them both off-white. I think the tile will improve greatly if you change just the hood to a stainless steel to match the appliances, but if you really hate it you should change both. Plus good lighting tips from greenthumb2 will really help.
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    11 years ago
    Just 1 more week to go -- did you make a final decision?

Lyvonne
    www.essentialsinside.com
  • PRO
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hi There! I have received some wonderful suggestions and have a plan in place! Here are some larger pics of the space.... Feel free to comment more but stay tuned....
  • Lainey Stern
    11 years ago
    I am not a designer but have been shopping for granite or marble for an upcoming bathroom remodel. Your granite is gorgeous, in fact with you expanded pictures the whole kitchen is lovely IMHO
  • Lainey Stern
    11 years ago
    I am not a designer but have been shopping for granite or marble for an upcoming bathroom remodel. Your granite is gorgeous, in fact with you expanded pictures the whole kitchen is lovely IMHO
  • Natalie
    11 years ago
    I too think the counters are gorgeous. Looking forward to seeing more... :)
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    11 years ago
    What a beautiful home! Can't wait to see your final decision.

Lyvonne
    www.essentialsinside.com

P.S. I know those pendant lights -- looks like they are Uttermost Elba Mini Pendant Lights, which we carry at our store!
  • Jody Cybulski
    11 years ago
    I can see you have two islands, or perhaps an island inside a peninsula.
    Don't change the cabinets , they are expensive and they are beautiful.
    Keep the granite it goes well with the cabinets.
    Replace the hood, try to put in a custom built hood that fills in the whole niche space so as to not leave shadows and space in the upper part of the hood, you have an enclave here that cannot have space above the hood otherwise it creates odd shadows and darkness. Get a hood design that is as wide as the space or place two columns of your liking on both sides of the new hood to strengthen the look of the centre of the room. It will look very strong and you have the room for that in this great kitchen.

Definitely change the backsplash in all of the kitchen. Use something mellow, maybe integrate a band of glass mosaic in the middle of the backsplash to complement and tie in the flooring and the counter top together. Backsplash is the easiest and cheapest thing to change a kitchen.

By the way you can restain the wood on the island if you find a good painter. I would not paint it any way. if you change the backsplash to remove all of the busy attitude you will solve 99 percent of the frustration you are having. Think simple and complementary on the backsplash and you will be fine. It should blend into the background because of the vibrant counters that you have. Let the focus go to the beautiful counter tops and don't try to have the backsplash compete with them. Your kitchen will be beautiful. It is practically there now.
  • constancemary
    11 years ago
    You must be well into your reno by now. Can you show us what you decided to do?
  • Jody Cybulski
    11 years ago
    Use a hood like this one and the backsplash is good in this picture too
  • olldcan
    11 years ago
    Sorry if I'm repeating what other have suggested, I didn't bother to read all of the advice. I would start by addressing the hood and backsplash. Also consider replacing the fridge for a panel ready one to match the cabinets. The stove wall is the culprit in this kitchen. Not a fan of the numerous arches but each to his own. I love the granite, flooring and cabinets. Do the cabinets have touch latches?
  • Grace Reed
    11 years ago
    Can't wait to see you've decided! In the meantime, here are my thoughts. The range & hood area is a focal point for the whole kitchen and surrounding spaces. I would put my time, effort & $$ into making it a sensational one! I like the idea Jody gave in his picture. I don't think a SS hood works in your kitchen. The refrigerator looks small and conspicuous. I would panel it and fill in the gap. A simple filler strip with a decorative overlay should work. I'm also bothered by the space between that cabinet and the drywalled arch but I'm not sure what to suggest. I like the floors and the granite but I don't like them together. I also would change one of them eventually. Good luck!
  • Grace Reed
    11 years ago
    Looked closer at the gap between the refrigerator and the cabinet above. A fluted filler might work also. And, how do you open the cabinets without hardware?!
  • Jody Cybulski
    11 years ago
    If you don't like the space above the cabinets, Have A cabinet maker insert a piece of wood panel the same colour as the cabinets. And place cove moulding along the top edge of it to frame it. Take a cabinet door to a reputable paint supply shop in your area and leave it with them to custom match stain the sae colour of the cabinets.. Have a good painter stain the wood pieces before the cabinet maker or carpenter installs them. I just matched my cabinets myself last week, it takes time but its not hard.
  • PRO
    Gharbuilder.com
    10 years ago
    For a perfect kitchen with better look one of the most important aspects of the contemporary planning is kitchen wall tiles that should be good looking and spacious. Besides the shade of your kitchen design, the color of your back lash tiles and countertop should blend harmoniously with each other.
    For more design help go to :
    http://www.gharbuilder.com/wall-ceiling-finishes/wall-tiles.php
  • PRO
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    This has been a long time coming but we are finally updating our kitchen! Thanks to all of you who contributed ideas! So far we have painted the walls and cabinets. We are waiting for the tile and vent hood to be installed. I will send more photos as we progress. The river granite ended up working perfectly!
  • Jody Cybulski
    7 years ago

thats looking sharp, cant wait to see the new fan hood.

• PRO
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    The vent a hood cover has been built! We decided to add some spice/oil storage to the space as well.
  • PRO
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Hello All! We still have a few things to finish but here are some Before and After photos of our kitchen remodel project. Thank you for your guidance and support! Let's stay connected! My Instagram address is @MeganDiBartolo and I am also on LinkedIn
    Have a blessed day!