Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jgs7691

Help!! Kitchen 'desk' at counter height or desk height?

jgs7691
13 years ago

Help! My final cabinet order is going in and my brain is frozen with second-guessing myself. I know -- I'm losing it, and need one of those 750 ml wine glasses! :)

My last decision -- I currently have this kitchen "desk" area (with 15" deep "hutch" uppers above for file boxes, bill paying supplies etc.) I envision this as a place that I can leave a laptop for quick email/school schedule checks, and where we can toss mail, charge phones, etc.

It is currently designed with a 32" height (30 1/2" cabinet + counter top) and a shallow drawer. I am wondering if I will get more use from it if it is at counter height instead. It's not terribly comfortable (on the wrists) using a keyboard at counter height for any length of time, but I wonder whether I will be more likely to use it while standing, or briefly while sitting. (If I were doing "work", I wouldn't be sitting here.)

I suppose if it were taller, I could use a 24" stool, which could be an extra island stool in a pinch. If it were desk height, I would get an 18" stool instead.

Any thoughts? Would you make this "desk" area counter height (36" total) or desk height (32" total) -- or something in between?

Comments (28)

• midnightgirl
    13 years ago

I would keep it at desk height if it were me. That is my vote anyway. Your two walls look lovely!

Good Luck! I'm about to place my order too!

• holligator
    13 years ago

I made our desk, which is similar in size and function to yours, counter height. I'm glad I did for several reasons. We do keep a stool there, which I have used for sitting at the desk only maybe four or five times, but which has come in very handy as a fourth stool for our island that we've used on numerous occasions. I keep the grocery list there, and we usually add things to it as we pass by, so counter height is more comfortable for that. Same goes for the phone and message pad. The dogs' cookie jar is there, so being at counter height keeps it out of their immediate range (I have big dogs, so counter surfing can be a real problem). The drawer is also more easily accessible. Finally, we have used it as an extra serving surface or bar area during parties, and counter height works much better for that.

If you don't plan to do a lot of sitting and working there, I think you'll find counter height far more convenient. You might also consider putting the cabs above the desk a bit higher. Mine are much higher, with a small shelf for cookbooks beneath them. We also have a small bulletin board on the wall above our desk, and I've found that a very convenient place for a calendar, the neighborhood directory, and the occasional message. Also, the under-cabinet light there is important for the desk's little tasks.

• jgs7691
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Holligator -- yours was a kitchen desk that I remember seeing and was interested in learning more about. How fortunate that you are on GW tonight!!

• laughablemoments
    13 years ago

Good topic. No insights. Just had the same Q's myself. : )

• 64reno64
    13 years ago

I will be adding the same type of space in my kitchen. It will be counter height. I figure that since no one will ever be likely to sit there, it doesnt make much sense to have it desk height. Im finding it hard to customize it to be an office station. Most office cabinetry is built to fit with a desk. Plans aren't finalized, so hopefully we will find a way.

• plllog
    13 years ago

In my experience it's more usable and less clutter dump if it's counter height.

What kind of computer are you considering for the space? If it's going to be a laptop, look into angled stands that raise the keyboard to a good height where your forearms are angled up, instead of broken at the wrists, and the screen is lifted well above keyboard level. These are much better for your posture, and easier to use standing.

If you're using components, raise the screen to eye level, and the keyboard to hand level. If you have adjustable stands/brackets, they can be used either sitting or standing.

• lawjedi
    13 years ago

I would definitely think counterheight. I have a low desk in my kitchen now and NO ONE sits there. occasionally a kid, but most definitely not me.

I see counterheight working much better for you. And just to mess with the apple cart just a bit, if you are fairly sure you won't sit down to use the area often - just that you want a designated "master schedule area" - perhaps consider getting rid of the open desk area and putting in all drawers instead. MORE STORAGE!!!

I currently have a small counter height stool in my kitchen with no overhang. While not ideal, it does work fine for the quick look at the computer... or perching next to the stovetop, waiting for the next thing to do....

In my future plans for this kitchen, I've decided on a "master schedule area" etc just like this... but instead of an empty place for a stool/chair, I'm just going for more drawers. I see myself standing for most of the quick stuff... and if it's indepth enough to warrant more time, taking the papers etc. over to the table to spread out.

good luck!

• nbptmomto3
    13 years ago

Yes lawjedi, I was thinking the same thing. More storage underneath. Drawers with outlets for charging phones/ipods. Also thought of hooks underneath for purses or the occasional bag waiting to get put away or taken out to the car for errands.

• doraville
    13 years ago

It depends on how much you will use your computer and your configuration. If you do counter height then you will narrow the space between the counter and the cabinet above. So you might need to consider raising or modifying the cabinet choice above it. I had to make the same decision and ended up going with desk height. I'm so glad I did because I use the computer here all the time. It's become my favorite place to look up recipes, answer mail inbetween cooking steps, multitasking, etc. It's a great time saver.

• funfarm
    13 years ago

Currently have a desk-height counter in a similar-purpose area of our kitchen. It's coming out and being replaced by a counter-height version. Purpose of the area remains the same - school calendar, phone, etc, but we NEVER sat there for office type purposes. The only time anyone ever sat there was for overflow for a kid or two during holiday meals. A counter-height stool there and a couple at the peninsula will fill that need in spades and, IMHO, fit in with the look of the kitchen better. The cabinets on the wall above this desk/counter are an open, organizer type - no doors. That was as close to an office look as I wanted in the kitchen.

Dean

• finestra
    13 years ago

I think it depends on how much you think you will use the computer. I had desk height and loved it. I paid all of my bills and did all of my computer work there. My desk area was bigger though, with side lower cabinets which held the printer and paper/files.
    I ended up using it everyday. It was nice to sit down first thing and go through emails that were pressing with a cup of coffee in a comfortable seat. The one downside was that I seemed to use it too much doing stuff like this - GardenWeb - because it was so comfortable!
    It also made the screen viewable from across the room when the kids were online and I was working in the kitchen. Easier to monitor their activities.

If storage space is at a premium, you might want to go counter height with drawers underneath.

• lawjedi
    13 years ago

I think several of the posters hit it just right... if the desk area is WIDE enough, you may use it. my old, low desk is 30 inches -- definitely not spread-out worthy.

I can't tell exact dimensions from your picture, but my guess is that the desk you have may not be wide enough to sit, use and enjoy...

so once again, my vote goes toward the countertop "surfing" method...

• jgs7691
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I appreciate all the comments and insights. I don't foresee putting in any additional drawers, etc. beneath the desk, because I actually think we might be hiding the dogs' bowls/step stool/purse or the like underneath. Also, it is not "full depth" (just 21" deep) as I didn't want to intrude on the kitchen space too much (we'll have island seating not far from this desk, and it could be tight if it were to stick out the full 24"+ counteroverhang.)

I'm leaning toward the counter-height now -- although my DH just left for work with the words, "if it's a desk, it should be desk height - -if it's a counter, it should be counter-height." Ah, if only it were that easy. . .

• boylanite2
    13 years ago

jgs7691.....LOL MEN! Our "desk" area will be counter height and also 21" deep for the same reasons as yours. Our cabinet maker will make our top drawers higher and they will be pull outs for the keyboard and mouse and we'll use one of them for charging of electronics...all hidden. I also want to mount the moniter/tv on the wall between the upper and desktop area and envision it being on a pullout/swivel brace so we can view it from anywhere in the kitchen.

• clergychick
    13 years ago

Another vote for counter height!

Ours is a longer desk area and we have a barstool height chair there, but we tend to sit at the nearby penninsula or kitchen table instead. But the counterheight makes the space better for other uses: it becomes the beverage center during parties.

The only snafu in our cabinet order was the cabinets that went in the desk area: our KD assumed we wanted desk height, and we assumed he'd know we wanted counter height because that was what was there before. I am glad I asked him to reorder those cabs, because I do think the counter height is more versitile.

FWIW,
    Amy

• celineike
    13 years ago

I kinda vote for counter height with a tall stool, then you can use it for either purpose.

• jgs7691
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@boylanite -- I know, right? Lol!

For those who have the counterheight desks and upper cabinets -- did you keep the regular 18" clearance? I think that the upper cabinets are currently at the same height as all the other uppers, so if I move to counter height, we'll have the 18" standard clearance. That should be plenty, right?

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    13 years ago

how about shelves above, not below?? Since you want to also charge phones etc there, have you considered raising the uppers and putting in a shelf below with receptacles, so the phones/MP3s don't get lost on the desktop? I've seen pics of others who have done that. or maybe I'm thinking of Pottery Barn.

maybe even one of those newfangled charging "pads" that you just lay your phone on and it magically charges your phone--no plugging in required. I have no idea if only certain phones work with that, like I said it's magic! :)

HTH

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen forum charging station thread

• jgs7691
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, sent the change (going to counter height) to my KD -- if I go missing, tell the FBI to question my DH and my KD! Lol! (Kidding of course, I still hold out hope that I am not the most indecisive or annoying client she's ever had.)

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Here's ours, which still is not used as a desk, although we're getting closer now that the construction tools aren't here as much. I never thought it should be desk height, but DH did and he won. We have the swiveling t.v. over it so if HE wanted to, he could look at it from chair I think. We still have to decide on an appropriate chair.

Currently we have a wastebasket and dog bowls under it. Cute, yes?

Items jump from that lower surface to the upper one constantly. I had hoped that it would be a barrier, but it's not. In my thinking, we might as well have had entire surface flat.

Cork board between cabinet and desk is now used less decoratively. It's a working message center. That's where calendar hangs, thank-you notes and such are posted and oddball coupons get put. Although there's a "pencil drawer" we keep a pencil mug on the desk.

Cabinet above desk is 16 inches deep--allows notebooks for financial statements, phone books, etc. Top shelf is unrelated storage of party gear. A permanently mounted power strip at front of bottom shelf of this cab allows DH to put chargers in here and let cord dangle down so that the device is seen and not forgotten once it is charged. He can turn off power to all chargers with one switch.

Lobby is to left of desk. I'm trying to put "things going elsewhere" into the shelves in the closet in lobby instead of on desk--lib. books, stuff for Mom's sr. residence, things going to friends, etc. Otherwise, they accumulate on desk. But that's fine with me--better there than in the rest of the kitchen where they used to cluster, esp on top of refrig. because that was by front door.

Because the peninsula is right there next to the desk, I would rather spread out on that to do any work with pencil and paper, but then, I'm a person who needs special glasses to focus on arm's length stuff, so I suppose that little desk just looks like too much work--easier to stand and write at peninsula with my multifocus lenses and squint.

I clear pencils and paper and calendar and address book off the peninsula at least twice a day and plunk them back on HIS desk. Computer will never be used at desk, I'm sure. (It moves between peninsula and dining table all the time.)

Telephone holder lives on desk, at least for now. I'm hoping to get it wired into a place on wall closer to dining room, but until then, it's here. This cordless phone is another thing that hides throughout the kitchen and has to be put away on desk when I spy it.

One benefit of this space: For parties, we can clean off the desk and bulletin board, put up a sign or something decorative like this framed piece, then put beverages here. Keeps traffic out of kitchen. Remember--this is Formica, so it's not going to mind.

• jgs7691
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We're all set now--cabinet order is in, and the desk/hutch will be counter-height with 18 in space between desk and upper cabinets.

Which leads to the next question -- what's an appropriate way to thank a patient KD who has to deal with a total nutcase client? Nice bottle of wine?

• blfenton
    13 years ago

Some will say that the KD shouldn't be given anything, However we gave ours a gift certificate to a small local kitchen store. I knew there was a particular Heinkle knife that she wanted. We didn;t give anything to our GC but our KD was soooooooooo patient with me and helped, not only with functional design, but also with pulling everything together for me wrt to colours and form design.

• wtdedula
    13 years ago

Hi All;
    I can't believe this discussion occurred because it is so perfect. I actually had this exact delimma and went with a counter height table but the KD originally wanted to give me table height (Because I was replacing a table with more storage) but I thought that would look funny to have a different height than the other counter so I went with counter height.

It seems that the majority of messages (Users) discourage the use of a chair here. As it turns out, I got a long, not very high drawer just below the countertop so I'd have plenty of footroom - was this the wrong thing to do ? Even if I buy a counter height chair, will this area still be uncomfortable to sit here ?

Btw - I actually requested this counter seating area (for one person) for a different reason than most - I actually perfer to sit down at times when I prepare food. And of course, also to eat meals there since I'm single and live alone. I do have a diningroom table for when guests come.

By the way, this area isn't finished yet - countertop is supposed to come in this Friday or early next week. Are counter height chairs readily available and if so, where is a good place to buy them (On the web) ?

Tim

• plllog
    13 years ago

Tim, there are plenty of counter height chairs/stools. They have a standard height between 24"-26". Because of your drawer and all, you might find an adjustable height stool more comfortable. Those are mostly pretty contemporary looking, with a pedestal, but if that won't offend the style of your kitchen it might be just the thing.

They have a great selection of stools on Overstock.com, for good prices. For high end ones with grand style, try Frontgate.com. There are also places with names like "counter stool dot com" or something similar, which have a large variety of mostly basic models. With their large offerings, you can usually find the exact right color and style at those kind of places.

• wtdedula
    13 years ago

Thanks, plllog; Your message was a huge help. My kitchen is going to be contemporary all the way so I really like the styles that overstock has. The ones at frontgate look too fancy and too early-american-ish for me. Tim

• carladr
    7 years ago

Does anyone have any photos they could share of their counter height kitchen workspaces/message areas? For those who decided counter heght, are you happy with that decision?

• Sue 430
    7 years ago

I have had a desk height counter in my kitchen for years. In our current redo, we are getting rid of it. It makes the kitchen look busier, and I really lack one really long counter, which I will get when I eliminate it. I will also gain a large base cabinet. My husband eats breakfast there, but doesn't need to. It really also depends on if you need the counter space or not. If you have a lot of counter already, you might like it desk height. For me though it's wasted space. And does accumulate junk.