Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pooldreamer_2010

Women Pool Owners???

pooldreamer_2010
13 years ago

Ok, so my husband said that this pool will be "MY" pool and he wants NOTHING to do with it. lol The money saved for my pool, the home improvement loan to make up the difference, the extra monthly cost of the bills, monthly pool loan, chemicals and the big one: POOL MAINTENANCE will be out of my paycheck and time.

Needless to say, this makes me a bit nervous : )I see the lingo that some of you use about returns, valves, pumps, water lines, some things can run off of other things,algae issues. So my question is are there women on the forum who do the maintenance and how long did it take for you to learn it??

Honestly, I have dreamed of a pool since I was a child and have no problem, in fact would prefer taking care of the pool myself. " it's going to be my baby." : ) Probably equivalent to a guy and their shiney new sports car : )I just need to know that this lingo will make sense to me and will my PB have patience to repeat the process. I learn through repetition. I have the website that Scott has offered and I will use it for sure, but sometimes I need a person next to me to show me. So I am hoping I can find a patient PB.

P.S. I have a feeling when it is hot outside and my husband is BBQing with a beer in hand, he will want to take a jump in "my" pool. lol

Comments (16)

• houseful
    13 years ago

I just finished posting to your other thread and saw this. I am the only one who takes care of the pool and I love it! I take so much pride in keeping my water sparkling. The kids help sweep it, but I do all the maintenance. I take the filter apart and wash all DE pads. My husband helps me lift it out and put it back in, but that is just so I don't tear any filters. My husband is more than willing to help, it's just that I like to do it.

It really only took a week or two to really know my pool. You'll learn quickly too. This and other pool forums will help with anything you need to know which will help you when you need to buy chemicals and parts. Sales people will always try to sell you more than you need.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

• pooldreamer_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Houseful..love the name..thank you so much! That makes me feel better. I too, want a sparkling pool and I know I will take pride in it. I just needed to hear that it can be done and that I can learn it. I have a feeling I will be like you : )

• Rack Etear
    13 years ago

Jeez , women owning pools? Next thing you know, they will want the right to vote, and have careers.

Slippery slope I tell you.... Very slippery.

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

pooldreamer2010, you have to hook up with frustratedpoolmom at troublefreepools.com forum.

Scott

• pooldreamer_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOL racket- my pool and houseful's will be the envy of the forum : )

poolguynj- thanks for the tip : )

• lookingforapool
    13 years ago

I am an unathletic 35 year old female. Never grew up around a pool and was clueless about everything before I had a pool put in.

It would be my recommendation to sit down with the pool builders yourself....to interview them and have them explain everything to your satisfaction/understanding and make sure you have confidence in them. Don't choose anybody that isn't patient with you. During the build, be involved and be the point of contact with the pool builder. This helped me tremendously because I saw each and every step of the pool build and could better understand all the plumbing and construction steps. The PB will usually offer a "pool school". It was at this point I felt the least confident....being able to know when/what/how much of each chemical to put in the water.

I decided to immediately hire a pool service with the intention to watch them/ask questions until I felt confident to take care of the pool myself. I treated them as my personal tutor and watched/asked questions. It took me one week to feel confident.... I quickly dropped the pool service and have been easily taking care of my crystal clear blue water myself since without any problems. I am confident that I can prevent any chemical imbalance/algae growth, etc. if I pay attention and am diligent about maintaining my investment. If I begin to have problems with my water in the future, I am confident that I will be able to fix it easily/quickly.

The most difficult part about the pool (for me) is lugging the heavy jugs of acid/chemicals out of the car to the pool area. The ONLY help my husband needs to give me is a little arm power to unscrew the bolt around the filter. (I'm pretty much a wimp!) I am able to maintain and clean the filter by pulling out the cartridges, rinsing them off with the water hose, and placing them back inside. All of the equipment is easy to maintain if you can push a button or turn a lever....and it's common sense and clearly labeled. I do have an automatic cleaner, so the only thing I need to do is brush the sides. It's building up my muscles, but is manageable and only takes about 15 minutes.

I take care of everything in regards to my pool. Please note I have never installed a washing machine, mowed a lawn, used hedge clippers, etc, but I did seal my travertine coping, install umbrella sleeves and reprogram my remote to control my waterfall...and all of it was EASY!

• pooldreamer_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

wow! lookingforapool! That was awesome to read. I felt empowered by it and I am being serious when I say that. I so appreciate everyone who takes the time to give me advice. It builds my confidence as a future pool owner.

• janesm
    13 years ago

When my husband and I got our pool - my idea and my baby - I assumed we would hire a pool service. My husband didn't want any more maintanence tasks on his plate. Once the pool was built, I heard so many horror stories about how hard it was to find a responsible pool service. Apparently in our area they often send out teenagers who don't know/care enough. So I learned to do it myself and I really take pride in how sparkly and balanced I can keep the pool! MY husband helps haul the bags of salt and not much more. If I have a question I call my very helpful pool builder or look at this forum for advice. My husband now loves the pool and swims almost every day.

• pooldreamer_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you janesm..I am hoping I will join the ranks of women being able to care for a pool : )I will post when I start to build and of course coming to you all to show off my fab sparkly pool or cry for help lol

I am hoping my husband will love the pool, as well. I don't mind taking care of it, I just want him to enjoy it with me : )He said he was never much of a swimmer as a kid. He would jump in and jump out. He also said he never had or loved a pet and now he ADORES and spoils our furry ones : )

• donnaw
    13 years ago

I also agree that I don't think you'll have any problem taking care of your pool.

I take care of ours and it was easy to learn. I never had a pool before. I actually enjoy working on it. I usually go out early in the morning and work on it.

I think it's kind of like the same way some people enjoy doing their own yard work.

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

FWIT, I don't jump in my pool much either. My wife and kids, OTOH, are in it now. My kids do help now an then.

Scott

• azbabs
    13 years ago

I do all the maintainance myself also. Very easy with a salt system. Hubby comes in handy when filter cleaning time. I am only 5'1" and the cartridge filter is almost as tall as I am. He opens it up. I clean. He puts back together.

I only add stabilizer about once a year, a bag of salt every other year, and acid to bring down the Ph 2 times a week in the summer. My acid comes in 1 gallon jugs/ 2 to a box, very easy to carry. Filter cleaning about 3 times a year and I clean the salt cell when ever needed. He comes in handy when pieces parts need replaced. Needed a new salt cell housing, and had the pool pump rebuilt.

He also installed a drip system for the landscaping (I did all the planting). He is very handy as he was raised on a farm and is now an engineer. He is NOT a pool person at all. I just remind him the pool was cheaper than the 5 trucks HE has purchased in the past 20 years LOL.

You can do it easily. What you can't do or hubby won't do, just call your local independent pool store.

• cybersal
    13 years ago

If the pool cleaning guys in real life look half as good as in the movies, maybe you should hire one. Your hubby may decide he wants to help you out after all. Seriously, you can maintain it yourself, just as good as a fellow, with a little help from the pool supply place. Men pool owners call for help, why can't a woman. You are not expected to fix your washing machine, why your pool equipment. Enjoy YOUR pool!

• pooldreamer_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you everyone : )

cybersal, too funny about the pool guy!! I don't think I will do that to my husband though lol

I do need to remember that this is my dream and not his. I will love it no matter what.

I feel confident after reading everyones' post that I can do this in a great way : ) God willing, I will have pics too someday to share with everyone.

• joanneswimsct
    13 years ago

Hi pooldreamer!
    Our pool was all my idea so hubbie said I needed to take care of it. Long story short, my PB was not much help after the fact so I joined this forum and have been "tutored" by the best! My husband does help w/ the grunt work (schlepping hoses, taking apart the filter, etc) but I keep the chemicals in check, backwash, vacuum, etc and it is easy! What's NOT easy is having finished vacuuming and backwashing then having my teen aged son MOW THE GRASS w/ the shoot toward the pool 5 minutes later!!!!! I did NOT earn Mother Of The Year that day!! Anyway, I'm sure you'll do just fine so go for it!!
    Joanne

• poolmissy
    13 years ago

Pooldreamer,

I take care of our pool (husband cleans filters). When planning your pool I suggest some features to make the maintenance easier such as an automatic chlorinator. We have an infloor (A&A) cleaning system which I thinks works terrific dispite what some say. It gets about 95% of the crud off the bottom of the pool so I only brush the pool about once a week (during heavy summer use).

Racket (posted above) taught me all the water tests that I need to do with my little kit and I test the water about once a week (during the summer) about once a month (during the winter). We don't use our pool here during the winter.

And after we've had MY pool now for 3 years... my husband swims more than I do!