Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avaclark

The day has arrived--finally finished (pics)

avaclark
14 years ago

I didn't think we would ever get done with this project...

Before:

{{!gwi}}

After:

{{!gwi}}

Before:

{{!gwi}}

After:

{{!gwi}}

I am still not sure what to put on the coffee table--right now has my mother's day flowers made by my son.

And this area--don't have a clue--any suggestion's?

Can this piece be painted and what color.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (38)

• gracie-2006
    14 years ago

I love the transformation- it turned out beautiful. Very up to date! I also love your wood floors-gorgeous. I think a long narrow picture similar to the one above your sofa would be pretty above your entry way piece. If you picked a picture with a dark frame like your furniture then I do not think there would be any need to paint your piece.

• dana1079
    14 years ago

I love your transformation...it looks more refined and has a more rich masculine edge with the dark flooring and leather...but then also has a femine flare with the pops of bright colors in the painting and even the entry table.

I think you could paint the entry table a rich color like red to go with the painting...or simple black or dark chocolate brown to go with your other furniture..and replace the pull with some nickel maybe?

If it's solid wood you could always sand and restain..

Good choices in your room though! I wish I could bring mine together ...this is the sort of inspiration i'm looking for in my LR...

• xoxosmom
    14 years ago

I like the table the way it is and wouldn't stain it. It ties into the other console one.

Beautiful transformation.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

The colors in the large painted console are highlighted in a completely differnent way with the new background. I like the mix of painted/wood pieces as it is and I wouldnt change it.

• teacats
    14 years ago

Beautiful fresh new room -- very elegant!

Well done indeed!

a) Coffee Table: How about a large glass bowl in gold? Simple and easy. Could be filled with candies for special occasions (LOL! always MY suggestion -- wink, wink) Or fill with dark glass stones -- and place a votive candle in it.

b) Entry Table -- Move the tall gold lamp over to this table. For NOW -- move the short round dark-and-gold vase to the side table by the sofa.

Jan

• claireking
    14 years ago

Great transformation, it's beautiful!

• momto4boys
    14 years ago

Wow, that looks AWESOME!! Took about 20 yrs off that room. I love the floor!!

• abundantblessings
    14 years ago

Beautiful transformation.

My suggestions: I wouldn't change the foyer color. Add a round, oval or arched mirror with a soft gilded or painted frame over the entry console with a small lamp and an orchid. Adds light, life & sparkle to the entry. Always welcoming, and the mirror will come in handy for a quick check before opening the door. A slightly larger, darker, softly patterned entry rug will anchor that space. Add a lamp on the end table. Put a beautiful book on the shelf of the coffee table or a couple of colorful cloisonne or mother of pearl boxes.

Enjoy your new space and that sweetie pie son!

• dgo1223
    14 years ago

I think it's beautiful...Really like the art over the sofa.

I have that exact same table in my foyer as well. I got mine at Tues. Morning, and the matching oval mirror. Yours would look nice with something on the bottom shelf, to fill in the space a little.

• User
    14 years ago

Looks great! Very rich looking. What color paint is that? I really like it.

I don't think I'd paint that piece in the foyer. I really like it as is. You already have a lot of dark colors in there. Maybe find some taller, larger objects for on it with a mirror or art above.

• teacats
    14 years ago

Possible artwork over entry table????

Jan

Here is a link that might be useful: Pamela Gladding - Pandora's bouquet -- art.com

• mrsmarv
    14 years ago

Well done! It's hip, fresh, classic but funky. It's gone from fuddy-duddy to definitely not your mother's living room ;o)

• pammyfay
    14 years ago

So much more interesting! It doesn't look like an old lady's living room anymore.

• threedgrad
    14 years ago

Very nicely done. I would look for art work created by the same artist of the piece hanging above the sofa and use the new artwork over the painted table by the door.

• Happyladi
    14 years ago

It looks great. I really like the picture over the sofa. Everything works together wonderfully. I think a mirror in the entry would look good. It's always nice to have a mirror by an entrance.

What are you doing for light in the room?

• loribee
    14 years ago

Absolutely beautiful...enjoy!!

• avaclark
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You guys are too kind. Thank you so much for your nice words and in the help you gave me in picking out the wall colors.

I have to purchase lamps but haven't found the right ones yet--I am a very bad accessorizer.

Thanks Teacats for the link--love the art.

Sheesharee--the paint color is SW Tatami Tan and the red in the dining (barely visible) is newly painted, SW Stolen Kiss

Now I am off to paint my kitchen SW Straw Doll. I can't seem to leave well enough alone.....

• enailes
    14 years ago

Great job, very warm and inviting. I love your coffee tables and new floors.

• artlover13060
    14 years ago

Wow. What a difference! You did a great job.

• catkin
    14 years ago

That's really pretty!
    I especially like the couch! Can you share the specs on it, please?

• lottamoxie
    14 years ago

I have that exact same coffee table! I also have the 2 matching end tables. Small world! Your room looks great.

• donnawb
    14 years ago

Beautiful transformation!!!!

• IdaClaire
    14 years ago

This is fabulous! You took the space from frumpy to wow! in such a wonderful way.

• lottamoxie
    14 years ago

I LOVE the artwork over your sofa!

If you don't mind sharing, where did you find/purchase the artwork?

I need to find a large piece for over my sofa as I have one long bare wall that has remained bare for far too long.

• suzatwork
    14 years ago

Love, Love, Love the artwork over the couch! It's a beautiful punch of color and is the perfect size to fill up your tall wall. Your choice of paint color complements everything so well, not to mention your great choice of fabric for the drapes. Such a warm room. (Did I mention that I love the artwork?)

I would not paint the table in the foyer, but it needs some height. How about moving the mirror and the tall lamp there from above the other console (I think the entrance wall is a more logical place for the mirror to hang). And then find a piece of iron art for above the console, maybe like this: http://www.wroughtirondecorstore.com/912894.html
    or something lighter like this:
    http://www.wroughtirondecorstore.com/mp0442rt.html

And while you are on that website, check out their candle accessories. You might find something for your side or foyer table: http://www.wroughtirondecorstore.com/278754.html

BTW, I have purchased from this website in the past and received great service.

One other thing to consider is painting the white door the same color as the wall.

Congratulations on pulling together a very sophisticated, warm gathering place!

• catkin
    14 years ago

bumping

• dazzlemewithcolor
    14 years ago

Love the artwork! The room looks great

• luv2look
    14 years ago

bump

• TxMarti
    14 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous! I would leave the entry table as it is also.

• patricianat
    14 years ago

I really like the transformation of your room. It just goes to show how one can take the elements of a traditional decor and integrate them into a more contemporary edge and still have a beautiful room without disassemblng or having it scream one period style. I really love it. I think it takes a lot more decorating savvy than to go out and buy everything as a suite.

I thought I posted on this already but I don't see it, but I opted to keep the entry table as is. I don't think everything has to look like it came from the same showroom. I think it has the ability to say, "I live here too, and I am important just as I am..." Don't dye all the kids' hair black just because that baby came along looking good with black hair. ;-)

• zipdee
    14 years ago

Wonderful transformation!!

• claireking
    14 years ago

Great job,I like the transformation!

• avaclark
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Lottamoxie-- Kirklands is the store for the art above the sofa.

Thanks again,
    Ava

• bronwynsmom
    14 years ago

Great job, good choices, uncluttered and fresh.

I wouldn't paint the little demilune in the foyer, but I would hang a very tall mirror just a bit narrower than the table. It not only gives you a place to check your lipstick on the way out the door, but throws light back into the room, and opens up the wall to increase the sense of spaciousness.

Now that I have seen the whole room, I like the lamp I showed you on the other post even more in the scheme...but since you have a small table to put it on, you might consider something like this floor lamp to furnish the corner and put the light where you need it without taking up space on the table where you want to put down a drink or a book...

Here is a link that might be useful: Swing-arm floor lamp

• catkin
    14 years ago

Ava, would you mind mentioning the couch's manufacturer? Thanks!

• avaclark
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bronwynsmom--Great idea of a floor lamp. That never crossed my mind.

Catkin--Haverty's furniture is where I bought the sofa and of course it is on sale now...here is the link http://www.havertys.com/Product_20112?curIndex=9&resultCount=12

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

I love the transformation and I even like the white door. What are your beautiful floors? The couch also look so comfortable and goes so well in your newly renovated room. Thanks for sharing.