Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
imsmilng

Color scheme

imsmilng
9 years ago

Do you use the same color scheme throughout your home? Looking around, most (well all) of my rooms have different hues of reds, greens, and beige. I saw a rug with those colors in it but with a blue ruffle that I like and realized that I don't have any blue in my home. I would mostly put a blue curtain up in that room. Would that break the flow?

Comments (5)

• Oakley
    9 years ago

I tried but gave up. lol. I love all sorts of colors and pattern that I feel like my house is a hodgepodge at times!

I've seen homes where every inch is perfectly matched to the other, and there's something off-putting about it.

If I did that, it means I can't buy anything unless it has the specific colors I've been using.

No disrespect to interior decorators, but I wouldn't want to live in a home where it looks like an interior decorator did the whole thing and I just wrote a check.

I like to put my own stamp on things without someone making me choose between "this or that."

I do like to have the rooms flow together a bit.

• SunnyCottage
    9 years ago

I have the same wall color in almost every room (it's a slightly lighter hue in the bathroom), but that's about as far as a unified color scheme goes. My style is very eclectic and personal, and I have no clue how I'd go about decorating with the things I love so much if I were to worry about whether or not colors matched. I prefer a home that is layered and interesting, and while I probably wouldn't use, for example, a purple rug in my dining room with the blue and red checked drapes ... oh, scratch that. If I loved me a purple rug, I would use it, and I'd be completely unashamed. ;-)

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Oh gosh Oakley your home is lovely! I admire it greatly but then I think you put your finger on what I love so much about it, and that is, it shows your touch and your personality!

I have a good bit of orange in my home even though it is not at all a favorite color but in the items that I chose I love the touches of orange.

I agree about a home looking like all you did was write out a check. I worked with a designer from Ethan Allen and what she chose was so not at all my taste. I knew she hadn't listened at all to what my likes were so we parted ways.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I tend to try to coordinate the colors among the public spaces, especially if they are open to one another. In the private spaces though, I don't limit myself.

• cozyplace
    9 years ago

My main living area (family room, DR and kitchen, which all open to each other) are also in reds/greens/beige. The bedrooms and bathroom are in blues. I also used to think the house didn't flow because of the different colors. But I love each room.