Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joanneswimsct

Your thoughts; year-round pool in CT neighborhood

joanneswimsct
16 years ago

Hi!

I am new to this section of the forum but have been 'living' at the pool and spa forum... I am looking for your input on a sticky situation: we plan on building an inground pool and enclose it using a telescoping pool surround to provide us w/ year-round swimming. Our septic system does not allow us to tuck the project behind the house so we'd need to build 'out in the open'. We have 1 acre of land in an established neighborhood; house built in mid 60's. We have a 60' high Hemlock tree line that separates us from both our back neighbor and our neighbor to the right. The pool project will be closer to the neighbor to our left where the tree line currently stops before said project will start. We have already decided to install either a privacy hedge w/ an inexpensive fence 'embedded' in the trees for camoflage or a solid vinyl fence for privacy from the neighbors to the left. All of our neighbors are in an uproar and we are shocked. W/o even looking at the proposed enclosure they have decided it's an 'ugly monstrosity' that will devalue properties in the neighborhood. What bothers us most is the ringleader of the neighborhood is a real estate agent who has lied to the other neighbors about the enclosure. He told everyone that it will be a 40 foot high corrugated steel building w/ outhouses for the bathrooms! Because he is a real estate agent everyone believes him! No one is willing to even look at the brochure; their minds are made up. They are insisting we cease and desist or else they will make our lives miserable. Can I ask a favor? Please take the time to look at the enclosures at www.libart.com and tell me what you think. The proposed structure is 34'x54' and 10' high at it's peak. It will be clear polycarbonate. We have 1 acre of land as do our neighbors and our home is worth approx $525K as are the neighbor's. We take pride in our home and would not be doing this project if we felt it was ugly...

Sorry for the long post but it's a long tale of woe and I thought I'd get some interesting feedback. Maybe I'm wrong and it IS ugly; what do you all think??

Thanks!!

joanneswimsct

Comments (27)

• chispa
    16 years ago

The enclosures don't look bad BUT it all depends on the setting. I am going to assume that in a typical 1960's neighborhood with 1 acre lots, it will look too large and industrial.

Without seeing the actual lot and setting, I'm imagining a typical 1 acre neighborhood in the northeast. I would be voting "NO" if I was your neighbor.

• sue36
    16 years ago

I don't think it is suited to such a small lot. However, why does what your neighbors think matter? Do you need a variance to build this? They can't get a cease and desist unless they have a likelihood of prevailing with an action to prevent the construction. And to do that there much be some issue with your plan (you need a variance for setbacks or building type, you need some sort or architectural approval, etc.).

• triciae
    16 years ago

Well, I live in CT (Mystic). I took a look at your link to the pool enclosure. It's definitely an oddity for this part of the country. Your not likely to be seeing one pop up in every garden. I'm fairly close to the real estate industry. Even inground pools, in CT, are considered to be a detriment to property value. There's a property here in Mystic right now with an inground pool. Nice house. Nice site. Nice water view. Reasonably priced. They can't sell that house for love nor money because of the pool. And, that pool is not even visible because it's surrounded by lovely gardens. Soooo, that considered...I'd cast my vote with your neighbors. I know that's not what you wanted to hear.

If you could shield it off with hemlocks...maybe, maybe it would be OK. But, I just can't see how it's going to ever look harmonious to the CT environment. CT is mostly rural & pastoral with our 375 year old rock walls, hardwood forests, hydrangeas, & pastures. The enclosure is large & imposing. A large red barn works in CT. This pool thing...not so much.

Sorry. :(

/tricia

• chispa
    16 years ago

Even a large red barn would not be on 1 acre, surrounded by other 1 acre lots!

• triciae
    16 years ago

Yes, it would.

/t

• mpinto
    16 years ago

The pool would be for your own enjoyment and would definitely not add value in CT. However, if you really want it, talk to your town about what is allowed. If this is allowed, talk to a lawyer about all the lies being spread. I might even send a letter out to your neighbors telling the truth, but ask the lawyer first. Just my opinion.

• feedingfrenzy
    16 years ago

Have you checked your local zoning to see if your project conforms? If not, you will need a variance and that would be very hard to get with your neighbors so opposed.

• barbag
    16 years ago

I think the structures are fairly attractive and I can understand why you would be interested in having this as a covering for a pool BUT we just built a 40" X 60" metal barn on our 5 acre property and it is huge. The footprint of this structure is not much larger than what you are talking about and I can't imagine it right next to the house on a 1 acre lot with other houses close by. I have to side with your neighbors.

• lyfia
    16 years ago

You are essentially going to stick this in your front yard as I read it is that correct? The size of it is the size of a 1 story house and no I wouldn't be happy to have to look at it if I was a neighbor either. I would never be happy to look at it if it was in my own front yard. It essentially looks like a green house, but imo greenhouses that generally are smaller doesn't look good in a front yard either. YMMV

What are your chances of moving your septic field instead.

• terrig_2007
    16 years ago

I have to agree with everyone else. I don't think you have enough space to do this, and I think it'll stick out like a sore thumb. And boy would I hate to tick off my neighbors, of all people!

• kurtg
    16 years ago

Another "no", I even looked at the page of projects where they had photos of these structures with the houses. I am afraid to say, I thought most were poorly pulled with repsect to integrating the structure with the house and landscape.

It might be nice to have, but that is different than needing your neighbors support.

• beacher003
    16 years ago

I have to wonder how much of the complaining has to do more with what comes along with the pool other than the enclosure.
    Anyone that has lived near someone with a pool may take issue with the late night or all day pool parties, screaming kids, parents yelling to stop splashing so and so and stop running etc, that always come with pools.
    Actually, I can't blame your neighbors.

• xamsx
    16 years ago

In my area of NYS there are a lot of in ground pools (we, unfortunately, have one). In my subdivision there are houses with in-house pools and houses with enclosures. The lot sizes vary from 1/3 - 1 acre. The houses that have the pools inside just look like huge houses; unless you know what you are looking at you cannot tell it is for a pool, it just looks like a wing of a house.

Enclosures are a different story. There is a house on the market right now a block away with an enclosure that looks nothing like what you are proposing. It actually looks more like an addition or a three-season room.

Nothing I have seen looks like the enclosure you are suggesting. That enclosure is unattractive. If you are planning it for the back of your house where only you and one neighbor will be looking at it, oh well. If you are planning it for the front of the house or if you live on a corner lot... your neighbors have a point.

• Pipersville_Carol
    16 years ago

Looks like a greenhouse to me. Not exactly unattractive, but overwhelming on a small lot in a residential area. I like xamsx's idea of making it look more like a wing of the house rather than a freestanding structure. Is that possible?

• barbag
    16 years ago

I went to the Pools and Spas board and read your post there. The extra information you give there includes the fact that a variance is required and that you intend to use this pool as a business location for giving swimming lessons and water aerobic classes.

Even if you limit the number of students at a time I still find this relevant infomation and I am even more inclined to side with your neighbors. I am suprised you are "shocked" by their objections.

• triciae
    16 years ago

Oh wow, barbag...that new information really changes the ballgame!

Of course the neighbors are upset. Duh.

/tricia

• terezosa / terriks
    16 years ago

Sorry, I have to agree with your neighbors.

Below is the OP's post on the Pool and Spa forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pool and Spa forum thread

• mariend
    16 years ago

I also went and read the posting on Pool & Spa and it probably would not bother me, except the traffic if there was a lot. An acre is alot of land, but not being familiar with the area, I don't know what else is there--all country--small cities--etc.
    Also sorry to say, I think you should have done a little more checking out the project before you spent the money--such as--neighborhood meeting, talking to the neighbors in a radius of 5 miles, etc. I hope you can get the money back if you are unable to complete the project.
    Also I don't know about liabilty insurance. Pools have to have alot of insurance and it is very expensive. Whatever is deceided, good luck.

• Carol_from_ny
    16 years ago

So this is really more of an issue about getting a zoning variance than it is about the look of the enclosure.
    In that case I agree with your neighbors no pool.
    IF I had paid 500,000 plus for a home in a quiet area I'd be upset too, to have someone running a business out of a house near me. The extra traffic and the general noise is not what your neighbors signed up for when they bought. They bought homes in a area of homes not commercial property as you are trying to change it to.

• marys1000
    16 years ago

I suspect that if you waited 6 months, logged on under a different name and told the story from the other angle - how angry you were that your neighbor was going to do something to their property that you didn't like - you would have just as many people telling you its their property they can do what they want.

Do you care what your neighbors think? Or are you just worried about a lawsuit?
    Do you care that this is going to make resale of your house difficult, you will no recoup your investment, maybe not even after whatever you earn giving lessons?
    I have to say, I hate HOA's and strongly believe that if I own the property I should be able to do what I want. But if a variance were being voted on, I'd consider voting no. A lot depends on having seen your place and the neighborhood and wondering what happens if you walk away from the place.

• feedingfrenzy
    16 years ago

The OP has a variance hearing scheduled for today. I presume it's this evening. I'd be surprised if s/he gets one considering how upset the neighbors are. I'm sure they'll all be there and voice their opposition. Generally speaking, zoning board members don't like to oppose public opinion unless, of course, they're up against deep pockets.

I read the other thread and it seems the OP has given up the plan to give lessons because of the high cost of insurance.

• mfbenson
    16 years ago

Nobody would bat an eye at that structure in Texas. Operating a business in a residential zoned neighborhood, on the other hand, would still be a problem.

• Carol_from_ny
    16 years ago

How the heck would you heat something like that in the northeast, have it be comfortable and not exhaust your budget every month?

• sue36
    16 years ago

I'm surprised about pools being a detriment to property values in CT (to the point that a house won't sell). I live in Maine, with an even shorter pool season than CT, and nice, in ground pools don't have a negative effect on property values here. After all, you can easily fill it in! But you need to be reasonable about what you build. Our neighbors spent $120k on a pool. It's beautiful, but they will never get that back if they sell. Our other neighbors have a 20x40 pool and it costs them $500 per season to heat with propane. A lot less than a pool club membership.

• western_pa_luann
    16 years ago

"Our other neighbors have a 20x40 pool and it costs them $500 per season to heat with propane. A lot less than a pool club membership."

Not here!

Our neighborhood of 240 families has a centralized outdoor heated pool (with snack shop and paid lifeguards) that is open Memorial Day to Labor Day.

Membership is optional, not mandatory.

Family membership is $240; individuals cost $170.

Because of such a great set-up, only two families have their own pool. A neighborhood pool really cuts down on party noise and the like....

• Brewbeer
    16 years ago

Move the septic system (i.e., rebuild it in a new location) so you can put the pool next to your house where you want it.

• joanneswimsct
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi everyone!
    Thanks so much for your feedback. I didn't post ALL of the info from pool and spa forum as the posts were very lengthy and I didn't want to bore anyone! Having said that, we opted to withdraw our application for the variance. We decided to down-size the project so we wouldn't need a variance. We have been approved for the build (both pool and enclosure) but not the swim lesson business yet. For those of you who did not read the posts on pool and spa, the lessons I would teach are private and would occur when my neighbors are all at work. Our neighborhood already has several home-based businesses: a day care, a successful Amway business, a window replacement business, a handyman business and a home alarm business.
    I may not have described clearly enough where the project will be located on our property; the pool will be in our back yard but not directly behind the house; off to the left. I agree w/ you all; a pool does not belong in the front yard!!
    When we started to get serious about the project we spoke individually w/ each neighbor. NONE of them appeared to have a problem w/ any aspect of the project. It wasn't until we asked the town for a variance (we asked for 10' of the 40' setback) that the truth came out. The real estate agent next door was the first person I spoke w/ and he was very excited for us. He said it would be great and asked if he could be the first one in! That is why we were shocked at the outcry when the variance request letters went out.(Told you the story was long! Thanks for sticking it out) As far as having a pool, ours would be the 4th in the neighborhood but the only 'indoor" one. Would you be shocked to learn that the real estate agent is always across the street in the summer as a guest of one of the pool owners? Says it's great as he doesn't have to join the local pool club... !
    Anyway, thanks for all of your input; I appreciate the feedback!
    joanneswimsct