Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_401003720

Currently have single sink and built in vanity in Master ensuite.

Judi Klender
last month

Would double sinks add value?

Comments (25)

• kandrewspa
    last month

How much space do you have to work with? If you had two sinks would you use them, or are you only concerned with resale value?

• AnnKH
    last month

I am not a fan of double sinks, so I would be disappointed, as a potential buyer, to learn that you made that change. It might not be a deal breaker for me, but it certainly would not add value.

As kandrewspa pointed out, some bathrooms have plenty of room for 2 sinks; others do not.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last month

I am also not a fan of double sinks in the same vanity. Separate vanities in the same room OK.

Some of it has to do with the overall size of the bathroom. If thereis not a separate toilet room, then a double sink makes no sense to me.

Double sinks in a vanity the size shown below makes sense.

• PRO
    Zumi
    last month

A huge bathroom is needed for double sinks. Small bathrooms need storage more than a second sink.

• Mrs Pete
    last month

I am not a fan of double sinks, so I would be disappointed, as a potential buyer, to learn that you made that change. It might not be a deal breaker for me, but it certainly would not add value.

I'll chime in: I don't like double sinks either, especially when they come at the price of drawer space at the vanity.

If I were buying a house, duplicate sinks would be a pretty big negative for me.

• flygirl519
    last month

not a fan of double sinks either. rarely in my home are there two people using the sink at the same time. but taking away storage space with an extra sink is really not something I would appreciate. More clutter on the counter top, which I am also not a fan of.

• lharpie
    last month
    last modified: last month

It does seem like everyone is trying to cram two sinks into small spaces these days so someone must want them! i have no need to clean 2 sinks. i can’t imagine this will add home value though so i’d only do it if you want 2 sinks. Or maybe if every single comp has them and it doesn’t cost much.

• Missy Bee
    last month

I love our double sinks in our 96” vanity. Plenty of storage remains in the vanity…two giant and three small but deep drawer in the bottom, and six more drawers above those. Also have useful cabinet around the sinks.

• acm
    last month

Yeah, the people who prefer one sink are pretty vocal here, but I think that a local realtor would probably tell you that most people prefer two, especially if there are two medicine cabinets to go with them -- no more arguing over toothpaste in the sink or competing storage, the ability to be sociable in the evening, etc. So if you were going to replace the vanity anyway, and it's at least 6 feet long, two sinks is good for resale. But if your currrent setup works for you, then I wouldn't change it just for that.

• Judi Klender
    Original Author
    last month

I should have given more info. We are gutting the bathroom because it needs it. Our house is 84 years old and we’ve already had the main bath done. We currently have a single sink and built-in vanity where I sit to do my hair and makeup. When we got an estimate, the contractor said we have enough room for double sinks if we eliminate the vanity. There would be just enough room for two sinks. We are retired so we rarely need to get ready at the same time. There is not a separate room for the toilet. If I go with double sinks, I will need to add a piece of furniture in the bedroom to use for doing my hair and makeup. I don’t know that I would want to take away that space from the bedroom.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

Use a single sink, don't drop the vanity area down, and use a pretty counter stool versus a vanity stool.

Either way? Your best bet is to show the bath, all dimensions and a plan.

"Just enough" room for two sinks is NOT enough room for two sinks, so I am guessing the vanity would be 60 inches or less. Answer? NO.

Show the bath layout and all its feet and inches, every door, window, wall, etc. Upload it as a jpeg in comments below, bold and legible.

A "contractor" is NOT your designer. He is a technician who executes your design.

• Kendrah
    last month

A vanity makeup area seems far more dated and of less appeal in a resale situation. However, you should make a choice that works for you and how you use your bathroom. If your home is on the market and priced right it will sell with a vanity and/or single sink. It is an easy enough change for the next person to rip out a vanity and replace.

Double sink or single and seated vanity is truly a matter of size. Don't go by what your contractor says. Tell us what your measurement is on this wall.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    last month

I do not want anyone else in the bathroom with me. Ever. Not even when brushing my teeth or applying some mascara. So I have absolutely no use for a double sink, and I view it as just one more thing I have to clean.

• Louise Smith
    last month

A successful forty+ years marriage that I attribute to never sharing a bathroom. It's the only real private place in the house.;

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last month

I have been married for 60+ yrs and not one time did we need 2 sinks . I hate toilet rooms and love storage in the bathroom. I aslo never sit down to do make up . It would be helpful to see the space for sure . If you want a makeup area make it the same counter height as the rest which BTW is now 36" get an adjustable stool to slide under that counter but then you need really good stroage for makeup and all the rest .I aslo do not care about resale unless I am selling right now and then I do nothing but clean and move on. If you post a to scale floor plan here on graph paper you might get a total shift of the plan we need to see the space please . Post the plan here in jpeg format show every window doorway and where the toilet is since moving that is usually expensive.

• S M
    last month

I did two sinks in our primary bathroom, but vanity is quite large, I think around 8.5 feet long. More than enough storage in the vanity and plenty of counter space. In the hall bath the vanity is 6 feet and I just did a single sink. That one is primarily used by DD when home from college so the storage and counter space was more important. I didn’t feel a need for 2 sinks although they would have fit I suppose.

• ci_lantro
    last month

Would double sinks add value?

No way to know without knowing the size of the bathroom OR the size of the vanity.

AFAIC personally, two sinks would be a negative.

• nancylouise5me
    last month

Add me to the list that has no use for more than one sink in the bathroom. My husband and I are not in the bathroom at the same time. We like our privacy while getting ready for work or going out. We have 3 bathrooms, all with just one sink in them. It is not an added value to the home imo.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    last month
    last modified: last month

Many of my customers are removing the second sink and vanity areas to have more storage. They do often keep the sink offset to one side so if a second person needs to be in there to use the mirror they can stand side by side.

I think a remodeled bathroom gives your home a little more value and makes it easier to sell. I can't imagine someone walking away from a great house because there aren't double sinks.

Good luck!

Judi Klender thanked Debbi Washburn
  • Theresa Peterson
    last month

but taking away storage space with an extra sink is really not something I would appreciate. More clutter on the counter top, which I am also not a fan of.

Those are the big reasons to avoid duplicate sinks.

"Just enough" room for two sinks is NOT enough room for two sinks

Exactly. You don't want "just enough" space in your bathroom ... you want enough space to move about in comfort /enough space for storage. Seek that fine line between bloated /oversized /too expensive /too much cleaning and minimal.

I aslo never sit down to do make up

Neither do I, but I know that as my grandmother neared 100, she made herself a vanity next to a window with good light (and a magnifying mirror), and she did sit to do her hair or tweeze her eyebrows. She put hers in her bedroom. I reserve the right to change my mind on standing when I'm that old.

Judi Klender thanked Theresa Peterson
  • Judi Klender
    Original Author
    last month

I am 78 with severe arthritis, so it is difficult to stand for even the few minutes it takes to do hair or makeup.

• Jennifer Hogan
    last month

Judi - I think you have your answer - keep the makeup vanity, be comfortable and enjoy your home as long as you can.

• arcy_gw
    last month

"Would double sinks add value? " No. Not one dime.

• elcieg
    29 days ago
    last modified: 29 days ago

We are gutting the bathroom because it needs it.

My best advice to you is to make the en suite bathroom work for you in the next stage of your lives. We have been retired for many years now. Both of us were healthy and very active. My husband tore his Achilles tendon playing tennis (12 weeks in a non weight bearing boot) and four months later I suffered from long haul COVID which affected my hearing and balance. If our bathroom were not "injured/reserved" status, we both would have been in trouble.

Spend your money on making the bathroom "accessible". Hopefully, you will never need the advantages, but, if you are wishing for a long life together, something will turn up in your journey.

It need not look like a rehab bathroom...just consider the height of the toilet, a shower that has no huge curb and some grab bars.