Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magothyrivergirl

What do you think of this Ruler?

magothyrivergirl
12 years ago

For making Flying Geese. I have made them using this method - no special ruler & they turned out a tad to large. Do you think this ruler is worth it?

Teresa - you just made many FG - did you use a special ruler?

I need thread-gotta spend more money to get free shipping~lol

Here is a link that might be useful: Connecting Thread - Flying Geese Ruler

Comments (8)

• vicky4x4
    12 years ago

I use the no waste method and I don't think they were too big. I think this is a lot of money for something you can do with the tools you already have.

Vicky

• polardream
    12 years ago

I have this ruler and I like it. Unless there is a way to remember what sizes to cut the large/small squares to use this method, I need all the help I can get! I suppose you could just make up some sort of chart showing what sizes go with what - but I would probably lose it!

Good luck with your decision.
    Sue

• Carol_from_ny
    12 years ago

What works for me may not work for you. I say if you think you want it and will use it then go ahead and get it.
    IMHO I think we quilters should have a get together every once in awhile for the swapping out of stuff we've bought and either don't like or have grown tired of. I know a few husbands who would love that idea! LOL

• lola99
    12 years ago

I'm pretty sure that about a year ago GrammyP posted a link to this no waste method and if I remember correctly her link had directions for the math so you could make any size flying geese using this method but you didn't need the special ruler. I'll see if I can find her post.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

I also use the No-Waste way of making Flying Geese. No need for a special ruler. Cut the big square 1 1/4" larger than the finished width and the little squares 7/8" larger than the finished height. Try this method before paying that much for a ruler and see how you like it.

SharonG/FL-IN

Here is a link that might be useful: No Waste Method

• magothyrivergirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your opinions. There is a book I would like to have that is 40% off ~ I'm guessing I will benefit from the book more than the ruler, which I think is very expensive.

I am going to try this method again using the measurements Sharon posted - thank you the the link.

• fran1523
    12 years ago

Another vote for the NoWaste method that Sharon provided the link for. It's really easy and free.

• lindaoh_gw
    12 years ago

I have the ruler but I don't use it. I bought it when I was a new quilter and just didn't use it after seeing the No Waste method.
    Linda OH

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH