Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arizonarose_gw

painting a pot

arizonarose
15 years ago

We have a flower pot that was deteriorating rapidly from the sun here. The neighbor suggested we paint it with a concoction made by thining spackling compound out with paint. This is how it turned out...what do you think? I really like it! It looks like cement in RL.

He said he has pots that he has painted this way and they hold up for years and years. You can create your own colors by mixing different color paints.

Comments (12)

• User
    15 years ago

That is VERY cool. I am thinking of getting lots of cheap pots and painting them too. I have already done a bunch of old green plastic ones and they look brand new now. I used the plastic spray paint from HD. You are giving me lots of ideas ! What kind of paint did you use? What did you apply the concoction with? Are you talking about the spackling compound in the red/white plastic buckets? How much paint did it take? THANKS for all the help. c

• necia
    15 years ago

Cool! I have a question, too! Is this a plastic pot? I have a really pretty 3-tiered planter that DH bought me a couple of years ago. I'm not sure what it is made of, it is not plastic but that light weight stuff. It is starting to fall apart on some of the edges. I wonder if this method would work?

• arizonarose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Trailrunner, our neighbor mixed it for us. It's the spackling in the tub that you use to patch dry wall with. I think any paint will work ( this was a water based ) and you thin the spackling compound until it's spreadable. It drys REALLY hard and quickly here. You can mix different color paints together to get custom colors. I just think it is so neat! Ours was a clay pot that needed wire brushed really good before painting, but if the pot is in good condition you can just paint it. What fun :)

• arizonarose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

necia , we must have been posting at the same time, I didn't see yours until just now. DH got on the pc *playing games* and I couldn't get back on.

No, it's not plastic...I think it's clay. Maybe your planter is resin? We have a HUGE resin pot on the patio that is doing that and we are talking about painting it too. I think it would work.

• User
    15 years ago

That looks great. I'd like to give it a try.

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

That is exciting! It does look like cement! I used to live in AZ and we got no rain to speak of. has it had a cloudburst yet? I wonder how it would do here( 2 inches of rain here today) Maybe the paint is enough to protect it from rain. It would be fun to try!

• arizonarose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

cooperbailey , yes I think it will work where you are. Our neighbor painted his fountain with this, and it is holding up good.

It hasn't rained here in forever...but sometimes when it does, it Gulley washes!

• annzgw
    15 years ago

Thanks for posting and giving me inspiration to get to work on my pots today!

Do you know what color the paint was? I really like that gray!

• arizonarose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

annz , no I don't know what color he used. I think he blended in some black ( not much) with the white spackling. It's kind of trial and error with the mixtures. We'll probably never get the same exact shade again.

• boystown
    15 years ago

Has anyone tried this ideas on a resin or plastic pot??? I would love to revive some of my old pots.

• arizonarose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

gagesgranny , funny you should post this as I'm reading it DH is on the patio painting one of our large resin pots. It looks great so far, but I can't tell you how it will hold up.

I'll post a picture of it for you later today.

• arizonarose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have a picture of the resin pot before, but it doesn't do the ugliness justice. It's the big one in the middle...getting crumbly.

TA DA!!!! afterwards....he did the smaller clay pot there on the left also. He ran out of paint and had to mix up some more so it's lighter than the urn in the front. It's nearly impossible to mix up the same color twice, but it's in the same family.