Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valinsv

Do any of these lamp shades work or should I keep looking?

Valerie Noronha
15 years ago

I bought the following lamp shades from Lowes and would like some other opinions if any of these go with my lamp and LR decor. I am leaning towards a wine color. I checked Lamps Plus and they did not have any of the larger sizes in that color. The saleslady said it was seasonal (??) and to check back in October. So when is lampshade color a seasonal thing?

Anyway, here are the ones from Lowes.

Shade #1

{{gwi:1536793}}

Shade #2

{{gwi:1536794}}

Shade #3

{{gwi:1536795}}

I've already tried enough shades to realize this is a something I need to purchase from a store and not over the internet. If there are some other stores that sell Lamp shades, I'd love to have some recommendations as I'm feeling stumped right now. Meanwhile I'm having a party tomorrow and a nekked lamp. :(

Comments (39)

• les917
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Definately #2 to go with the lamp, tho I don't see that color working so well in the room with all the red.

I would think about doing a green from the lamp, or the golden beige, or black.

• mlraff53
    15 years ago

Not the first, possibly the second, I vote for the white eventhough it's not my favorite. I would do a more golden color to match the leaves on the lamp. But I realize that it would blend too much with sofa/drapes. Is black out of the question? In person does the wine color look good with the flowers?-not on my monitor

• sarschlos_remodeler
    15 years ago

I vote for keep looking. The first two are very red, and don't look like they pick up the rose tones in your lamp at all. The third is the wrong style and very stark. You'll know it when you see it.

I also would look for a golden beige, but not with a scalloped bottom edge.

• decorpas
    15 years ago

golden beige or black-- I'd love green, but on my monitor it looks like the green from the lamp and the green in your WT are different shades. Normally this wouldn't bother me, but as the lamp has a bolder pattern, I am leaning toward using the lampshade to marry to the other colors in the room.

Oh, I finally got to see your pretty pillows up close:-)

• robynpa
    15 years ago

I am not feeling any of those. I would go with a simple gold color with no fringe.

• robynpa
    15 years ago

Maybe something like this?

Here is a link that might be useful: Lamp shade

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

I'm not feeling any of those either, but I do really like the one that Robyn linked to.

• ttodd
    15 years ago

I like the idea of a golden shade too although #2 is great for Fall & Winter.

• redbazel
    15 years ago

Sweetie, I've said it before and I'll say it again...............Home Goods.
    Sometimes they have a bunch sometimes they have a few, but if you had the time to drive over there....

A soft golden color, a cream color, or a creamy beige. No other colors with that busy lamp. And take the lamp with you when you go.

Red

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK. That was my gut feeling as well. I'll take them back. I did see some golden toned shades that matched to the gold leaves, but then I thought it'd blend in too much with the wall/drapes. I do like the one that robynpa linked as well. A green would be nice if I could find one. I did try out a black shade as well, though did not buy. I was not sure about that either.

Perhaps I just need to move the lamp to the opposite table with the green accent wall, though I already have a standing lamp there which I like to keep close to the piano.... Perhaps I should just get a little piano light for that. Here is a pic of the other wall. Should I put it here instead with the golden shade and move the tall lamp to the opposite corner (may need to get a piano lamp for music reading).

{{gwi:1703967}}

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Or switch the shades?

{{gwi:1703969}}

red: I forgot Homegoods sells the shades. OK, I'll go there tomorrow to see what they have. And I agree to bring the lamp. I did today at Lamps Plus and could tell immediately if it went or not.

• decorpas
    15 years ago

It looks great against that wall which picks up the green in the lamp and ties in with the chair nicely, too. Now I'm really seeing a black shade for a really classic feeling.

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

I know you said, not online, but, this is where I got shades for 2 lamps I inherited. There is a tremendous selection of sizes, colors and styles. Maybe you can find a style that you like. They are extremely knowledable. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Just Shades

• cpccarolyn_2008
    15 years ago

I'm sorry, but none of the above. Perhaps a black or tan

• mlraff53
    15 years ago

I still vote for a black but I also like the switch you made. I would probably keep that.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Best thing is to bring the lamp with you to a lighting store and have them recommend a shade. They are usually really good about getting the right shade for a particular lamp.

I'm not liking any of those shades with that lamp.

• cindyloowoo
    15 years ago

I like the "switched shades." The red shade with the embellishments looks great with the drapes and on the floor lamp. You could move the floor lamp to the other side of the room and get a piano lamp as you mentioned.

• les917
    15 years ago

The red shade is too small for the floor lamp, imo. The floor lamp shade is too wide for the table lamp, and the color really does nothing to bring out the pattern in the lamp.

• lynn_r_ct
    15 years ago

IMHO, it appears as if the two lamps compete being so close to each other. Maybe I missed something and that is not the final location. That being said, where ever you decide to put the table lamp, I vote for a black shade. I do like the red-ish shade for the floor lamp, but just a little bit bigger.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

les: I came to the same conclusion.

lynn: That was not the final location, just showing the two lamps with the different shades.

I went to Home Goods today and the selection was poor. Lowes actually had a fairly nice selection, though did not have time to go back to Lamps Plus. I do like the pleated one linked above, but could not find one. I did find this one, however, which I really like:

{{gwi:1703970}}

I am leaning towards this configuation at this point (with a rearrangement of the decor on the back wall to remove the mirror and have the sconces to either side of the painting):

{{gwi:1703971}}

Feeback desparately needed! Should I take the wrapper off and have a finished room tonight for my party or leave the lamp nekked and looked for the pleated one? Somehow I just cannot see a black shade in this room, though I do agree it would look smashing paired with the lamp.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    15 years ago

Sorry, but I'm not crazy about having two lampshades the same shape on those two very different lamps. Maybe that's why I liked the pleated shade for your table lamp.

• les917
    15 years ago

I agree with sarschlos about the same shape on the two different lamps. I think the color is fine, tho I might opt for a softer gold that doesn't take away from the bright colors in the lamp.

Just for fun, throw a black t-shirt or towel over the lampshade to get the feel of a black shade there. I think it might make the designs and colors on the lamp really become the focal point.

One other thing I have noticed in the room, unrelated to the lamp situation. You have lots of interesting containers and vases, but they feel so scattered and unrelated. Try grouping some of the accessories. For example, put the green pot on the hearth up where the ginger jar is on the left side of the mantel. Take the small pot with the plant and put that next to it, a little forward of the center of the other pot so there is a sense of visual overlap.

Add some bookends to the books, or use a couple of the stone or metal decorative balls on either end - something to give the books an anchor on either side. Right now they feel like they are floating.

As for the sconces, I think they are too small to be on either side of the large painting. Now, to give them more presence, you could replace the candles with some greenery and grasses, but that might overwhelm the area. You could do that with them and hang them where they are on that side wall, with the mirror removed and the two sconces moved closer together, but still offset from one another.

The oval pix on the other side is too small to be there by itself. Perhaps you have some other small framed pieces that you could group with it to fill the area more effectively.

Think about taking that little mirror from between the two sconces and putting it flat on the coffee table, with a grouping of pretty candles of various heights on it. Take the turquoise jar and put that on one of the end tables - probably not the one with the lamp we have been discussing.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK. I'll wrap it back up. I'll try out your suggestions, Les, regarding the black. I'm a bit timid with strong colors, but since several have now suggested it, I do want to see how it looks. A plus of the black is that it could work against any wall, not just the green walls. If I were to get black, would you also suggest the same pleated shade? I did see the pleated shade for sale on the website kmcg85 linked, but they did not list the prices.

Les, I do want to try out some of your suggestions plus I do have a possibility to pair the oval pic with. My weekend is swamped then DH goes on a business trip so it will be a perfect time for me next week to tweak this room some more.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

It sounds like you prefer some things on the mantel. Here are some visuals with the items less spread out, with and w/o the sconces and with and w/o the urn. Wasn't sure what you planned for the other lamp. Then moving the floor lamp back into the other corner, and trying the wine colored shade. The table lamp is moved towards the back on the tabletop (opening the space a bit b/w the mantel). I also moved the ceramic piece on the coffee table, so it's not so centered and lined up with the hearth urn.

{{gwi:1703972}}

{{gwi:1703973}}

{{gwi:1703974}}

{{gwi:1703975}}

{{gwi:1703976}}

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

I thought it would be fun to look at some of the darker accent walls we were playing with before.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nice visuals, squirrel. The "urn" my DS made for me recently in his pottery class at school. It didn't turn out quite like he intended, particularly the glaze; but thought I'd leave it out for awhile and then relegate it elsewhere.

At this point, I'm considering the below linked shade in *gasp* black or, the safer (for me) choice, gold. I'd love to see how it looks in black since several have suggested it. If I keep the floor lamp there, I'd leave the shade as is, though if I move it to the opposite side, I'd definitely consider a red shade similar in color to the red pillows.

I also bought these smaller sized frames at an estate sale with some faded dried flowers. I pulled out the flowers and was thinking of putting some other pics in them and hanging them on the wall somewhere in this room. Any ideas?

{{gwi:1703981}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Empire shade

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Turning the accent wall color back, but the paint color is a bit darker than your current one. So, another sample to view!

A prominent place for the urn then! It works better than the books, I think, anyway, as their height lines up with the frame too much. Did he throw that? Excellent work. I know what he means about getting the glazing mastered. It's a whole other area of expertise from making the forms.

Here are the two shades and then another shape I had around with a less pronounced bell. Personally, I don't think the Empire shape or its fabric has the elegance of your room. I also think, with the lamp shape, that a subtle curving sweep on the shade looks better; less belled than the one you have. Of the two colors, I prefer the black in virtual, although I like a more taupe-y color like the last pic. The gold (vanilla) is toned down from the swatch but still looks too bright and maybe more so here than irl. If you go with a gold, I'd look for more of a muted antiqued color, and a more delicate, dressier fabric.

I just love the vignette you've created with your curio cabinet. What a nice spot. Would love to see a close-up of the piece (and hear about your bargain : )

No thoughts on the ovals, will have to think on them and pull up your other walls. Right now the reality of life over here is making me nauseaus again : (

{{gwi:1703982}}

{{gwi:1703983}}

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

ok, so maybe the urn you mean is the one on the hearth! It now has a home holding the fern : )

I wonder if you'd like something more symmetrical and cleaner, to eliminate some of the busi-ness you feel. I think this looks great.

Back to some of your original thoughts for the mantel, some bookends might be nice to finish off the books. I can picture some of those English dogs or something : ) but I've usually seen them larger than what I've shown.

The only thought I've had on the two new frames is that they might look nice over and under the other oval. I'd probably tone down the gold on them for that, from what I can see of the larger one.

How about a simple white shade. Even a rose-type color that picks up on the shimmer in your pillow color looks nice, imo.

You have put together one magnificent room, Val. : )

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

ok, die-hard that I am, bringing the lamp detail in : ) Don't know what size you need, but this proportion is an 8x14x10 bell if you're interested. Have no idea what size I put on!

The black is too harsh and heavy for me. I like the wine, but having a hard time getting the right one with the pink in the lamp and red in the pillows/drapes. It is bold though, and there's a lot if not most of the focus on the shade and its color. Maybe a less heavy wine color than the virtual also. Depending on what you want to highlight, the boring neutral focuses on the vase of the base.

HTH!

{{gwi:1703989}}

{{gwi:1703990}}

• gayle0000
    15 years ago

I keep coming back to this post & looking at the pics. If I had free reign to experiment with re-arranging & trying things, here's what I would try.

1. Take down the sconces.

2. Move the brown curio cabinet from the right corner to the left corner if it fits okay...hard to tell how much room you have & if it would fit in the corner there. In looking at the room, I'm seeing most of the dark brown woods are on the right side, and the left side of the room are lighter, rustier tones. Balance out the dark woods on each side of the room. Where the curio cabinet currently sits, you could then put your floor lamp, maybe a tall plant...just something neutral...not heavy or ornate because I think in real life you piano over there will take the stage.

3. I really like the painting above the fireplace. That painting is beautiful & I love it. I love it in that room! However, I would prop the painting on the mantle or attach it to the wall a few inches lower. I think the painting is slightly too high and I get this feeling of "dis-connectedness" between the fireplace and the painting. It's like I'm looking at 2 focal points on the same wall and not sure which to look at. It's just an ever-so subtle detail, but it really stands out to me.

4. As for the lamp, I would probably move the lamp completely out of the room...or find a place for it which is not on your focal point wall...maybe the opposite side of the room which we don't see in the photos? Please don't take offense because it's pretty clear you love the lamp & are working hard to make the lamp work. I don't dislike the lamp...I just think the lamp definitely has a beautiful presence on it's own and would be more suitable for a nook or corner somewhere else that needs some pizazz. Your fireplace & painting are the focal point and the lamp is a beautiful distraction.

5. I love the ornateness of the gold picture frame. Right now, I would love to see that frame a little darker, yet still ornate. On the other hand, I think I might love the gold frame as-is if you balanced out more of your darker woods onto the left side of the room, as I talked about in #2 above.

Those are my thoughts.
    Gayle

• marthaelena
    15 years ago

I think I found a perfect place for me!!! I also get very serious on selecting something as simple as a lamp shade and I am impress with all the imputs in this post.

Looking at all the possibilities, If it were my house I'd select a white shade or a pearl shade (exctly like your standing alone one)
    The white shade ties together with the fireplace mantle and it make a better contrast with all the walls. I do not like the contrast of the goldish colored shade againt the blueish/greyish wall or againt the goldish wall and drapes because it looks dull. If you use white, no mather where you move the lamp it will be ok.
    The pearl shade is a very good option to me (using the exact same color of your other lamp, from here it looks like a pearl color). I also yhink it ties together with the sofa. As you can see, you have the fireflace as focal points and 2 important piedes of furniture: the sofa and the piano. I truly thnk it will be nicere to tie with the sofa.
    About the other lamp (the standing alone one) is beautiful as you had it either by the piano or by at the opposite side.
    I do not vote for a dark color since you alredy have rich colors in the room.
    I also think is btter to keep it simple because the lamp base is alredy rich.
    In addition, white or perl color give you nicer lighting
    Good luck with your selection
    blessings

ps: You have a very nice great room, great job.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

squirrel: ha!ha! Not that urn! It's the one on the floor to the right that you PS'ed out. My DS is not that good, though he has made an idiom piece called "Don't Put All your eggs in one Basket" that his teacher has submitted to an art show. He's half hoping he looses so he can keep his piece (but will have to go in his room) whereas I'm hoping he wins--plus they'll keep the piece for at least a year. LOL! I don't know what this pottery class is doing to my decor! And to get his fine arts electives complete, he'll need to do another semister. I do like the other one AND the books, though I do need to get some bookends. Thanks for doing the visuals--that does help, though actual shade would be slightly different. It's the pleated Empire shade I'm considering. I do like the wine, but you are correct the actual shade of wine/russet is very tricky.

OK, I'm going to go back and digest the rest of these recommendations. Drat, just when everyone was getting me psyched up to go black....

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Everyone has been most helpful. Thank you for all the suggestions. I think gayle brought up a good point about having both lamps on the fireplace wall. I tried some different arrangements and decided I did not like the ginger jar lamp on the drapery wall though as it competes/clashes with my drapes. I feel it works best to the right of the fireplace. However, I swapped the floor lamp and the drum table, moved some of the items closer together plus took down some of the wall decor and would like feedback to see if I'm on the right track. Galye's idea of moving the curio to the left side does not work. There is no pic yet in the little red frame, but that is the plan.
    {{gwi:1703992}}

Here it is with the gold shade back. Perhaps it does not look so off now that the floor lamp has moved.
    {{gwi:1703993}}
    I'm going to go back to Lamps Plus tomorrow and look at some different shapes in gold. I haven't been able to find a black one in the size I need and even with the excellent virtuals squirrel has provided, I'm a bit leary of ordering one online.

squirrel: I really appreciate all of your PS virtuals. I know I've said it before, but it bears repeating. You are incredibly talented. If I could please ask (when life settles down) if you could PS the sconces on either side of the painting in the above picture. I am not quite decided it I want the sconces there or elsewhere. I did try the floor lamp where you placed it and from that perspective I really like it, but from the other angle it blocks the view more than I would like of my drapery. While I do love the virtuals of the pics to either side of the fireplace IRL it just feels like the pictures are competing with one another as the room is not that large. With the taller table top decor to either side of the fireplace (which I still need to work on), I'm thinking perhaps I don't need so many pics on the wall.

I also liked Les' idea of putting some greenery/plants in the sconces instead of the candles. Les, can you suggest any particular plants or place to shop for them? Do you see it as more upright or cascading?

Here is a close up of my corner curio: {{gwi:1703994}}

It was not a deal and I paid more than I wanted to. I spied it some months ago at an antique store, but didn't get it since I was not far enough along with this room. When I decided a few months later I still wanted it and had not seen anything on CL for sale, I decided to go back to the antique store and bought it. They didn't want to haggle on the price, though it was on a 10% off sale. I still need to work on items for the center shelf. I just love the little key that I need to use to open the cabinets. squirrel, did you notice the fern on top like you had added (though yours does cascade better than mine)? Do you even realize how much influence you've had on this room? You picked out my floor lamp too.

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

I keep losing my connection and my post! UGH! Ok, 3 times a charm! Anyway, I am posting this pic of a mantle to give you some ideas. Forget the seasonal greenery in the pic and concentrate on the permanent elements. On the mantle are two glass hurricanes on either side. On the right is a vase of silk flowers and a wooden box. On the left is a large plate and a group of two glass decanters. The two large items, the vase and plate are flanking the main picture, creating a sort of "frame" around it. Scale is important because it forces the eye up and down and across while still keeping the main focus on the picture hanging over the mantle. Really, in the picture it is pretty symetrical on either side of the painting. By keeping things close, it eliminates the need for sconces on either side of the painting. I only post this to give you an idea for your mantle. You have a good start with the statue and ginger jar. Add in the pretty plate in your curio or a larger one if you have one, to the right side and maybe a candlestick and smaller item. Lay two or three of those books stacked on their side (on the inside of the statue). Pull things from other rooms to try out. Keep working at it, because you have the makings of a beautiful room already!

{{gwi:1703995}}

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

kmcg85: Thanks for taking the trouble to compose a reply to my post three times! I'm very impressed as I think I would've given up. That is a lovely inspiration mantle and I like the suggestion of a plate, though I don't think the one I have in the cabinet would work. I agree it should be larger.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Val, here are the sconces again in your current arrangement. They're actually a bit skewed as they were taken from a slight angle, so may be just a tad larger irl. The second pic shows them a bit higher, and I've put a lighter shade on the lamp. It's nice to bring some gold to that side, but I'm not sure the shade is the place. It just doesn't seem to pick up on the lamp, imo, though I can see there's a bit of gold in the floral pattern. The empire shade I had used was from the link. I now see the soft pleats, which don't show in the virtual. That curio is so pretty. What a great find.

How deep is your mantel, re the larger items?

Maybe those small gold frames can flank the pic of the piano? I can picture silhouettes in them. With three kids, I think you said, maybe the third child above the pic.

And thanks for your encouragement : ) It's been quite the collaborative effort.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks squirrel. I had not put them back up yet. It really helps. I was wondering how far away from the painting to put them. It looks like you centered them over the ends of the mantle. I was thinking of centering them vertically with respect to the picture, but looks like you put them slightly lower. Hmmm. You have good instincts, where I knew I would put about 5 holes in the wall before I would get it right. I have so many holes to go back and patch in all my rooms.

The mantle depth is 9". I did find a couple of little figures I was thinking of using for bookends.

I ended up keeping the gold shade as I did not see anything I liked better at either Lamps Plus or Lowes and with so much trial and error did not want to order over the internet; but I do like the cream color shade you put there. IRL the gold does match the gold leaves and the green matches the wall color--so perfectly I could not have planned it any better. At some point I may swap out the other shade for a red---perhaps in the fall when there are more choice in the large shades.

I really do like like this arrangement. Why did I not think of it before? It makes the room feel more open from the entryway and there always was a slight feeling that the drum tables were a tad on the tall side so having them flank the fireplace makes it much less apparant and allows for some table top vignettes--if I can ever put it all together.

I have yet to put up the oval frames. I really like them, plus the watercolor. There is a short wall I could put them in or another short wall opposite my entry table (which has a plus that it will be reflected in the mirror for double effect).

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

In the second pic, the sconces are still just a wee bit lower. Maybe look at a bunch of room pics to see what's out there. Things usually look best offset a bit -- not smack 1/2 way and centered. Rules of thirds is a good guideline. Doesn't have to be exact : )

Sounds like the table arrangement and some tallish vignettes will work well for you and fill up some of the wall space there.

It's such a beautiful room : ) Aren't you glad those original chairs didn't work out!

• sarschlos_remodeler
    15 years ago

It's looking good, Val. One thing that is bugging me about the new arrangement, though, is that you now have both drum tables on either side of the fireplace. It's a little too symmetrical.