Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juddgirl2

Change knobs? Before/After Pics of CL Dressers & Slipcover Chair

juddgirl2
12 years ago

My daughter's room makevoer is in progress and I've just finished redoing the CL dressers. I had a slipcover made for the swivel rocker - love it!

I still need to refinish the mirror that will be over the larger dresser and there will be a lot more pink accents in the room (walls, bedding, chair pillow). I'll also be slipcovering the lampshades.

Please ignore the lack of trim and broken window shade - which reminds me - any idea for a new window covering? I'm thinking another cellular shade or blinds. I'm going to make white ruffled panels for each side.

Here's my question:

The larger dresser is a different style than the smaller dresser used as a bedside table. I think the large wood knobs on the small dresser aren't working so well with the pale pink glass knobs for the larger dresser and highlight the different styles. Should I change them out for smaller wood knobs (similar to those on the green hutch), matching pink glass knobs, or clear glass pulls? I can't find glass pulls that are an exact match to the pink knobs.

Dressers and chair before:

{{!gwi}}

Dressers and chair after:

{{!gwi}}

Comments (19)

• Betsy418
    12 years ago

Lovely job! Even though the two chests are different, I think they work well together. Is the green hutch going to stay? If so, would it work to exchange its place with the larger chest? That way, the knob issue won't be so blaring to you. You could even paint the knobs on the bedside chest another color (other than pink) that's in the room. By the way, I love your slipcovered chair. Do you have a pillow with more color and pattern you could put in the chair and maybe the same or coordinating pillow on the bed? I know your daughter is going to enjoy her new room.

• oceanna
    12 years ago

I love the pink knobs. How girly! I'd use the pink or clear glass on the nightstand.

That slipcover is perfect! How does one get one custom made? Did you have a friend do it? Or, what did you look up in the yellow pages?

Is painting the green bookcase next? Love the twisty decorations on it and I think it would look fabulous white.

For the window curtains, have you taken a browse through the cottage decor thread lately? I'll bet you'll find tons of good ideas in there for that, and so much more. I've put tons of gorgeous pictures in there, many with similar bedrooms to your daughter's. I've always been a fan of roller shades because they block out the light so well. When raised, they easily hide behind a valance or window topper. I'm thinking white for the curtains, maybe lace, maybe even dropcloth curtains? Balloon shades would be very girly in there. I like #395 in there. It's simple, but attractive.

I'll bet your daughter is ecstatic. How old is she? Is she helping you? This is a beautiful room you're putting together!

Here is a link that might be useful: Show me your Cottage Decor

• auntie_ellen boston
    12 years ago

Matching pink glass knobs would tie them together. I love the hutch (and its color) - it will look great with the pink. Also love the chair! Lucky girl.

• les917
    12 years ago

Great job with all the changes.

Could you paint the knobs with little pink flowers and green leaves, or do a green and pink plaid with paint? Even gluing on fun pink and green buttons would be cute.

Wondering if you had considered placing the dresser under the window, and putting the bed on the dresser wall? I think the charm of the iron bed gets lost a bit in front of the window. I also am one who likes to be able to look out the window from the bed, and have the window open but not blowing right on me.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I'd do clear glass knobs on the night stand and hutch. Using pink might be too much. I'd make them a different style but something that works with the current pink ones well.

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the great comments and suggestions, everyone! I like the ideas of painting the knobs or switching them out for glass. Unfortunately, the pink knobs don't have matching pulls, but I can look around. Clear glass might work instead of trying to match them.

I'm going to make a pale pink pillow for the chair with some pretty "Paris-chic" fabric from Calico Corners. It was too expensive to use for the duvet cover, but 1 yard for an accent pillow was doable. I'm making the bedding out of pale pink sheets and it will be similar to the Land of Nod bedding in the below pic.

I'd like to bring some more green into the room to tie into the antique hutch. I don't plan on painting it - it would look sweet painted white but I really like the original green paint.

For furniture placement, I had considered switching the green bookshelf and the dresser, but thought that having the reading chair near the books would be more practical for everyday use. That's the way we've had it since she was a baby but I could try switching them.

The bed was originally where the larger dresser is now, and her old dresser was under the window. That arrangement worked out great but this dresser has an attached mirror and it would be too tall in front of the window. With the tall hutch and tall dresser/mirror in the room, I'm not sure where else to put the bed??

oceanna - thanks for the link to cottage decor. I don't think I've seen that gallery yet. I found a little shop that sells refurbished and antique furniture and the owner made the slipcover. I bought the matelasse fabric at Calico Corners. The CL chair was $30 and in perfect condition so it still ended up to be a great deal!

I'm getting burned out and not looking forward to making the curtain panels :-D so I'll check out the site for window coverings. I seem to remember a poster here who recently showed pics of her cottagey ruffled curtain panels, but can't remember where she found them.

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

dianalo - we cross posted (trying to make spaghetti and meatballs dinner without burning the sauce so it took me forever to finish the post!)

I like your idea of using clear glass to complement the pink glass. Do you think knobs or pulls would work? I can tell the dresser had pulls at some point but they were replaced with the large wooden knobs.

• amielynn
    12 years ago

I would use the pink glass to tie them together. I'd also fill those holes with wood putty and paint it so you'd never know they were there. Only cause I am anal retentive like that, lol.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

Since the other pieces have knobs, I'd stick with knobs again. I don't like things to match completely, that is why I'd keep them glass, but go clear and a different style. I also think they will grow better with your dd because pink may not still work years later and to commit all the hardware to that color would box you in. I think that keeping the clear ones as neutrals make the pink ones you do have look special. I would also fill in the old holes, because since you mentioned them, I can see them and they would bug me IRL.
    I think the room will have an overall airy ethereal look to it. I am glad you resisted pink walls as that would be overkill. I can't wait to see it all done because it sounds like a really nice feminine look. Pink can easily look contrived or Barbie-ish, but I think your ideas will make it more mature and fresh.

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lol - I'm kicking myself about the holes which I unbelievably didn't even notice until I was done refinishing the dresser!

Don't know what was going on in my head since I'm usually so anal about those things (maybe inhaling too many mineral spirits while stripping the piece!). I must not have noticed at first because there are so many dents, scratches and chips on the original wood and some of the holes actually look like dents rather than round holes.

Anyway, I was planning on fixing that if I decided not to go with pulls - which is why I've been looking at pulls :-). I would rather not go through the glazing process again!

• rockmanor
    12 years ago

I'm very impressed with what you've done. Have you considered lt. green glass knobs?

• jessicaml
    12 years ago

What a lucky daughter you have to grow up in such a sweet & tastefully decorated room! I never would have guessed that chair could look so good. I also love the way the green hutch tones down the girly pink and ties in the greenery from the flowers. It has an English garden vibe, IMO. Maybe a pillow for the chair in a pink and green floral? If I were you I think I'd leave the furniture arrangement as-is, for the practical reasons you stated.

• jessicaml
    12 years ago

I also like rockmanor's suggestion of green knobs (after you fill in the old holes, of course!).

Here is a link that might be useful: Coke Bottle Green Knobs on ebay

• bleigh
    12 years ago

I love your room! You did a great job refinishing those pieces too. Because I am lazy and would hate to take a chance on messing anything up, I would use glass pulls on the small dresser. If I couldn't find any that I liked, I would look for for some antique style pulls and would buy for the shape and spray paint if necessary. I honestly think that's the easiest route. I do agree that the knobs are a bit noticeable as they are really big, but a nice delicate pull won't clash (couldn't find a good word to use...wouldn't really call that clashing).

Oh, and also LOVE that green hutch. So glad you're not going to paint it.

• tfm1134
    12 years ago

I would use glass knobs as well

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    12 years ago

I suggest you take les' advice and change the location of the bed. Use the mirror somewhere else.

If you are speaking of the ruffly curtains that I liked so much, they are at Urban Outfitters.

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, bleigh, jessica and rockmanor! I hope she does like it once I'm done.

dianalo - I laughed when I read the resisting pink walls part. My DD HAS to have pink walls! It's her one request. I've convinced her to agree to BM Queene Anne pink though - it's a very subtle ballet pink and will hopefully look more creamy than bubblegum pink.

walnutcreek - thanks so much for the Urban Outfitters info. Those are exactly the ones that I was thinking of. I was going to make some but I'm running out of steam and those are a lot of ruffles! Did you order yours yet? I'm wondering how sheer they are.

I'll try switching the bed and large dresser again. I was looking forward to using the large mirror but could use a smaller one over the bedside dresser if I decide to change the arrangement. The old diamond-paned window from this room is still in the garage waiting for a makeover - maybe I could use it as a mirror!

Love those pale green glass knobs! I originally wanted to use green but DD decided on pink. I do have an idea to use those for another project but will probably stay with clear or pink for the small dresser in this room.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    12 years ago

juddgirl, I did attempt to place an order, but they do not accept PayPal yet - will only accept a credit card and I do not have a credit card. When I contacted Urban Outfitters, I was advised that they are working on an agreement with PayPal, so I visit the site frequently to see if they have PayPal yet. I want those curtains so much, and I also found a beautiful rug that I want. Hopefully, they will have PayPal before the curtains and rug are sold out.

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

walnutcreek - I noticed that also. Hopefully, they accept PayPal soon. I'd love to see them in your space.

I keep thinking I can save 100+ dollars if I put in some sweat equity and make them myself out of some white cotton sheets. It's hard to find the time on the weekends but I do need to justify my recent sewing machine purchase!