Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nonnie_ga

LOOKING for: Saltine Crackers Candy Brittle

Nonnie_GA
17 years ago

I have lost my recipe using saltine crackers as a base for a brittle type snack. It uses the crackers on a cookie sheet and covered with brown sugar and butter, I think. When the cooking time is up you put chocolate chips on top and when softened, spread over crackers. After cooled you break it up into pieces.

Does anyone have this recipe. It's great!

Comments (11)

• CA Kate z9
    17 years ago

I found these two recipes on the Nabisco web site under Saltine Crackers. Perhaps one of these is what you're looking for; they both sound yummy.

Crunch Bars

Prep Time: 10 min
    Total Time: 32 min
    Makes: 16 servings

Ingredients:
    35 PREMIUM Saltine Crackers
    1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
    1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
    1 pkg. (8 squares) BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate, chopped
    1 cup chopped PLANTERS Walnuts

Preparation:
    PREHEAT oven to 400°F. Place crackers in foil-lined 15x10x1-inch baking pan.

PLACE butter and sugar in saucepan; cook on medium-high heat until butter is completely melted and mixture is well blended, stirring occasionally. Bring to boil; boil 3 min. without stirring. Spread over crackers.
    BAKE 5 to 7 min. or until topping is golden brown. Immediately sprinkle with chopped chocolate; let stand 5 min. or until chocolate is softened. Spread chocolate evenly over ingredients in pan; sprinkle with walnuts. Cool. Break into pieces.

OR

PREMIUM® Toffee Crunch

Prep Time: 10 min
    Total Time: 32 min
    Makes: 12 servings

Ingredients:
    35 PREMIUM Saltine Crackers
    1/3 cup butter or margarine
    1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
    6 squares BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate, chopped
    1/2 cup chopped PLANTERS Walnuts

Preparation:
    PREHEAT oven to 400°F. Line 15x10x1-inch baking pan with foil; grease foil. Spread crackers evenly into prepared pan.

PLACE butter and sugar in saucepan. Bring to boil on medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce to low; boil 3 min. (Do not stir.) Immediately spread over crackers.

BAKE 7 min. Immediately sprinkle with chocolate; let stand 5 min. Spread melted chocolate over tops of crackers. Sprinkle with walnuts. Cool. Break into pieces.

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

Here's another.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heath Bar Candy

• gabrielledeveau
    17 years ago

This sounds like the candy my DBF's MOM,Mambi as we endearingly call her, makes for a fundraiser where she works, sell out like crazy every year!

• Nonnie_GA
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you so much to all of you. Any one of these will do. They really are exceptionally good. Thanks, again.

Sandra

• san_
    17 years ago

this is very similar, very simple and really good! from a co-worker:

Christmas Bark �" Linda H

Melt 2 sticks (1/2 #) unsalted butter and stir in
    2 C sugar

Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and line it with one layer of UNSALTED saltine crackers. Pour the butter/sugar mix over the crackers. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes.

Pour 16 oz of semi-sweet chocolate chips over the mixture, spreading it out with a spoon. Top with slivered almonds and let cool before breaking into large chunks.

• msmitoagain
    17 years ago

This is Paula Deen's recipe. It is called Pine Bark.

Recipe Summary
    Difficulty: Medium
    Prep Time: 15 minutes
    Cook Time: 10 minutes
    Yield: 35 squares
    User Rating:

35 saltine crackers
    1 cup butter
    1 cup packed light brown sugar
    1/2 teaspoon almond extract
    5 (4-ounce) milk chocolate bars, broken into pieces

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
    Line a 15 by 10 by 1-inch jelly roll pan with tin foil. Lightly spray foil with a non-stick cooking spray.

Place saltine crackers, salty side up, in prepared pan. In a saucepan, boil butter and sugar for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in almond extract. Pour mixture over crackers and bake for 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from oven, top with candy bars, and spread evenly as chocolate begins to melt. Cool slightly and transfer onto waxed paper. Allow to cool completely.

• shaun
    17 years ago

I just made this and although it's very tasty, the chocolate is very gooey and it doens't "break apart" like a brittle would.

Did I do something wrong?

{{!gwi}}

• jenn
    17 years ago

My mom made this saltine cracker brittle last year to give at Christmas and it was very good!

• cookie8
    17 years ago

Here's mine...
    1 pkg soda crackers
    1 cup margarine
    1 cup brown sugar
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 pkg milk chocolate chips
    1-2 boxes crushed smarties

Preheat oven to 350. Line cookie tray with foil and spray. Lay soda crackers side by side over sheet with salted side up.
    Bring brown sugar and margarine to a boil; continue boiling for approx three mins (from start of boil not putting on heat). Remove from heat, then add vanilla. Pour mixture over crackersin tray. Bake for 5 mins or until bubbly.
    Remove from oven, pour choc chips over top and spread evenly, top with crushed smarties (adds a nice presentation to it). Cut into desired sizes and cool. Freezes well. I love this one.

• anettemartinrn
    17 years ago

i make mine with graham crackers, its addictively good!

• cindy_5ny
    17 years ago

Here's mine - I started making it when my kids went to college - a great item for care packages!

SHINGLES
    Source: Adapted from Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Also known in some college dorms as "bark," this rich confection is perfect on a stressful night of studying.

1 sleeve (4oz) saltine crackers
    1 cup butter
    1 cup packed light brown sugar
    12 oz semisweet or milk chocolate pieces
    opt: 1 cup chopped nuts

Line a 15 by 10 by 1-inch jelly roll pan with tin foil. Lightly spray foil with a non-stick cooking spray.

Place saltine crackers, salty side up, in prepared pan. In a saucepan, boil butter and sugar for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour mixture over crackers and bake at 400 for 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from oven, top with chocolate, and spread evenly as chocolate begins to melt. Sprinkle with nuts, lightly press into chocolate. Cool until firm, then cut or break into pieces. (I use a pizza cutter) Can be frozen.

Cindy