Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xena45

another layout - I'd love more feedback

xena45
16 years ago

Here's another one:

okay. the last idea was an "L". But the L shape that includes the sink under a window and a DW creates a difficult corner. As much as we want a sink under a window, this layout with a sink in an island would be okay, because it's open and not 2' from a wall.

We really want the plan to be as open as possible. It's a small house, and the more open, the better. We had a makeshift counter between the kitchen and eating space, but now that we've moved that out of the way, we like the space so much better.

One thing - just inside the sun room (to the left in the plan), there is some additional storage - a broom closet, about 2.5' of counter top, and some upper and lower cabinet storage. So, there is more storage than you see here. I know this is a small kitchen, but we aren't big cookers or entertainers.

I tried the island going all the way to the wall by the door, but I think having a direct line to the stove/fridge from the back door would be nice if we grill outside, etc.

Well, what do you think?

Comments (10)

• backinthesaddle
    16 years ago

Can you center the door to the back yard on that wall? If so and depending on the distance between the two counter runs, IÂd put the sink and DW on the wall you have the fridge and range and put them on the lower wall with the fridge where you have storage. You could have nice, deep counters and even put an L on the sink wall with a small peninsula for prep and seating.

• xena45
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I did a plan like that, and my husband didn't like it - he said the fridge was too far away. I'll look at it again though. The space is about 12' wide, so the countertops seemed really far away from eachother. But it was still too narrow for a decent sized table with enough clearance around.

And, we'd prefer not to have a peninsula in the middle of the two spaces.

• xena45
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Like this, you mean?

In some ways I like this, but the stove and fridge are so far away from the sink. And it's a lot more movement of everything, which will make the renovation more expensive. And we don't really want the sink right at a wall, definately facing away from the window.

• rhome410
    16 years ago

How about fridge on table end of the run so it can be accessed from eating end without going past the stove? If you did that, then I'd definitely reconsider running the counter all the way to the window wall to give yourself one larger-sized work area, as well as the additional storage. It'd be a nice bright space on which to do baking projects, right across from the range. I think since the fridge would be at the open end of the room, it's not that far to the back door, especially since you can put everything on the counter right by the door.

• xena45
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It's funny you mentioned moving the fridge and making a peninsula instead of an island - that was the plan right before this one! :)

Like this?

I didn't like the "dead end" that it created, and to get a wider aisle, the cooking countertop is only 24" deep, which means the fridge sticks out. That was why I pushed it in the corner. Then, it occured to me that it would be nice if there was direct access to the kitchen from the new back door. Thus the island.

• rhome410
    16 years ago

Deepen the counter on the range side? maybe just 3" to soften the difference between the fridge and it?

I was actually imagining leaving the sink where it is in the first layout, so it's not back to back with the range. I can see, though, that with that idea there could be some interference if dw and refr are both open at once, so I'd have to weigh that against leaving more work space at the wall end and not having the sink person and range person bumping behinds. ;-) I think I'd prefer the possibility of occasional interference so 2 people could work comfortably at once, and leave the sink and dw toward the table end.

In a kitchen this size, I'd take the dead end, just to maximize work and storage space...But that's my preference and you have your own priorities to consider. You're the one who needs to be happy in the space!

• xena45
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Where the fridge is in this new version is actually where there's a DOORWAY right now, so I'll bet we could make a thin wall there and push the fridge back a couple of inches.

I hate to deepen that counter because there's only 42" there now. I'll bump the fridge back into the wall. wahoo!

Ah, I could move the DW to the other side of the sink though. I can't see a reason not to, can you?

Thanks,Rhome!

• xena45
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Another thought I had about the island.

it occurred to me that the end of the island against the window could have a hinged countertop that we could flip up when the back porch door wouldn't be in use. (which could be often, since we live in Wisconsin.) Then, it could serve as impromptu work space or seating for 2 (since it's 30" wide). It would be a great place to have coffee and read the paper.

Years ago, I waited tables, and they often do it in the bar area, so the bartender can get back there, and then the counter top can be used by the waitstaff. it's pretty cool, actually.

• rhome410
    16 years ago

Do you mean put the dw against the wall? I would try to keep it at one end or the other of the peninsula so it's not a tripping hazard somewhere in the middle, or conflicting with using the range. But, where are you keeping your dishes? I'd want it as close to your dish storage as possible, and let that be the big influence on the decision.

• rhome410
    16 years ago

Again, in a kitchen this size, I'd guard every bit of storage I could get, and would think it (a regular cabinet with drawers) would serve you better than the quicker access to the back door a few times a year...And your table is so close for the coffee/paper thing. You'll also have to deal with the counter gap/seam every day. But little unique features like that can make it feel more 'yours,' so I understand that, too.