Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ag19426

question about wall nails when moving out

ag19426
10 years ago

I am packing to move but did not have final walkthrough yet. Home inspection is done, appraisal is done. The only thing left to do is final walkthrough and settlement.
Anyway, after removing heavy wall art, I noticed that my walls have these bulky hooks installed that held pictures. Should I remove the hooks or leave them? If I remove the hooks, there will be holes in walls. Should I then spackle them? If spackle them they will be standing out until the whole wall is repainted. I definitely do not want to repaint the whole house.
What should I do about hooks? Thank you in advance for all your advices!

Comments (16)

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

I don't know what the *should* is but can tell you I plan to leave all hooks, even the smaller regular picture hooks, in place. Whatever was hanging was visible for the purchase so it's not going to be a surprise that there are hooks but holes would certainly look worse, IMO.

• rafor
    10 years ago

The smaller nails/hangers etc I took out. If the hole is really small, an easy way to patch is toothpaste!! Yep it works out doesn't show if you have light colored walls. The larger heavy duty things I left in place. Particularly now since many things require 2 hanger to mount them.

• Adella Bedella
    10 years ago

If you aren't going to patch and repaint the holes, then I would leave the hanger. The new owner's will probably want to rehang pictures in several of the locations anyway.

• Adella Bedella
    10 years ago

If you aren't going to patch and repaint the holes, then I would leave the hanger. The new owner's will probably want to rehang pictures in several of the locations anyway.

• ag19426
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, everyone, I think I will leave nails and hangers in. Just that they do not look very appealing. They are not old and rusted but they are just not very pleasing for the eye.

• acheavacci
    10 years ago

Our agent told us to leave any nail in the wall. If we removed a nail it was our responsibility to repair the hole and repaint.

• ncrealestateguy
    10 years ago

This is a topic that a lot of buyers, and agents, overlook everyday. If my buyer is making an offer on a house that has an above average # of hanging items, I ask my buyers if they are bothered with the fact that the wall, and probably much more, will have to be spackled and repainted. Usually, one just can not repaint the one wall... it usually requires a stopping point where that color meets with the next color.
    If it is a big deal to my buyers, I write it up in the offer as an agreed upon repair at contract signing. I do not wait to bring it up during the inspections.
    As far as this OP is concerned, I would not worry about it as nothing has been said about it.

• Tony2Toes
    10 years ago

Nail holes and hangers are expected in an existing home, unless the pictures were all removed for staging (which, frankly, they should have been but many sellers neglect to do so).

When selling, I've always removed all pictures/mirrors from walls, spackled and repainted to give it as neutral a look as possible. You didn't, still sold it, so at this stage I'd just take your pictures and leave them.

• ag19426
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's what my REA also told me, to leave nails and hangers as is.

• chispa
    10 years ago

I've so far repainted the interior of every house I have bought, so that isn't something I even worry about when buying.

We relocated and rented before buying. We had quite a bit of overlap between buying and end of lease. While we still had the lease the rental house sold. The new owner sent a curt email saying he was going to withhold some of the deposit for cleaning (to his high standards!) and fixing nail holes. First, the house was cleaner than when we moved in and second it was a 1950's house with some updates, that had been a rental for 8 years with several tenants ... I don't think we made any of the holes! The new owner though he could move in because we had moved to our new house, but we still had the lease. Basically we told him he was crazy and that we would keep the lease till the last legal minute ... that put a big wrench in his remodel and move in plans. We got all our deposit back!

• barbcollins
    10 years ago

I was getting ready to hang some pictures and decorations in the house we are going to list soon. I am thinking now, maybe I should not. I plan to use Monkey hooks to make as small a hole as possible.

Think I should change my mind and just leave the walls bare? Almost every room has a fresh coat of paint.

• qs777
    10 years ago

You could use the 3M hooks that come off of the wall without a trace. They have them in different sizes which will hold different weights. The only thing I seem to recall is that maybe your paint has to cure for 30 days, but I am not sure. HTH

• jane_davis123
    10 years ago

I think you need a help of professionals to remove those hooks...!!

• barbcollins
    10 years ago

"I think you need a help of professionals to remove those hooks...!!"

What???

• c9pilot
    9 years ago

I bought a house once, where we specifically asked the sellers to keep all the hooks in. They were all in exactly the perfect places where we could just replace with our own pictures.