Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchen4us_gw

Any regrets painting your brick fireplace?

kitchen4us
14 years ago

We have an old brick fireplace that is asymetrical. We're thinking of having a few rows of bricks removed on one side to balance this, replace the brick on the floor with a tile material, perhaps have the fireplace painted, and install a new mantle.

Any thoughts? Would like to see any pictures of affordable options.

Also, is there a problem if the brick floor, when removed, is lowered a bit to make it flush with the carpet?

Comments (11)

• hyperwoman
    14 years ago

It's been awhile since I painted our brick fireplace in our former house, so I'm not sure I can remember every detail, but the fireplace was newer, but a very cold gray color that I didn't like. I actually just took acrylic craft paints in I think two more beigey colors, that I thought would blend okay with the gray. I just kind of ragged the two colors on until I thought it looked good. I did not paint the mortar, because I liked the color, and I was afraid if I painted it it would look--well, like I painted my fireplace! It did look very natural, and I was glad that I did it. One thing I liked about using the craft paints is that there are lots of color choices, they are cheap, and you get a matte finish, which I think was important to keep it looking natural--brick is not supposed to look glossy. Anyway, that's what I did--hope it helps you.

• pfmastin
    14 years ago

I painted our red brick fireplace just after moving to this house and I've never regretted it for a moment. It's helped balance the symmetry and doesn't feel like the "elephant" in the room anymore. I painted it a few shades darker than the wall...a sort of taupe/bisque.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    14 years ago

I painted our fireplace the same color as the wall, only in a slightly glossier finish, and it looks 100% better. I've never regretted it. It was already painted before but in two different colors, both darker than the wall. Now it blends into the room and looks much more elegant.

• nanabb
    14 years ago

Absolutely no regrets here. Our fireplace was UGLY. It was terracotta colored brick pavers and were not staggered like a normal brick pattern, just lined up in a row on top of each other. I painted it the same color as the walls ( Olympic's Ponytail) after I primed it. It is not an eyesore anymore and everyone loves the transformation. It is amazing how it made my dark stained builtins look richer. I had thought about painting them white before I painted the fireplace, now there is no need. One day I will figure out how to show pictures, I have alot of before and afters of this house.

• tnorman
    14 years ago

No regrets here! Huge, huge difference getting rid of a giant red brick fireplace hogging up my living room. I painted it a shade lighter than my walls. Made the room seem lighter and larger. If I had brick flooring, I would have painted that too. I used Kilz and then several coats of latex paint. Did this about 5 years ago, still looks great!

• awm03
    14 years ago

There was a thread on this topic a couple of weeks back. Thought you might enjoy the photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: painted brick fireplaces

• adi1972
    14 years ago

I have painted our red brick fireplace light grey before moving to our old ranch house and I've never regretted it!

• bronwynsmom
    14 years ago

Not a shred of regret. My mother's small house had brick covering one long wall in the LR, which went up to the mantel, and paneling above that. We painted the whole business to match the creamy walls... it doubled the size of the room, and made the room with her lovely old things in it look elegant and refined.
    We color washed our basement fireplace wall as well. Looked fabulous.

• amykath
    14 years ago

I mixed water and a yellow and white paint and just dabbed it on. I wanted it to look like it was always white. I then restained the mantel. WOW what a difference!

{{!gwi}}

• bibiko24
    12 years ago

I know this is an old thread but here goes!

I've got a hole in a wall fireplace with red brick in my living room. It's horrid and has bugged me for 15 years! I would like to paint the bricks a neutral colour to blend in with the walls of the living room. Any thoughts? Do you think it would work? Has anyone carried out any work on a hole in the wall fireplace?

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County