Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karena_2009

Ordered my cabinets & farmhouse sink!

karena_2009
15 years ago

After careful consideration and much shopping around, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered my Lowe's Schuler cabinets on Saturday. I've only been thinking about doing a kitchen remodel since 2007. I've lived with poor functionality (four blind corners) and the cheapest melamine counter tops around for 17 years (since buying the house). Since I changed the configuration to get additional counter top space, the cabinets that were built in place will have to go. I did recycle one set of uppers and the pantry to my utility room. For the rest, I'm going to call freecycle when the time comes to recycle the rest, certainly the doors can be salvaged.

The cabinets will be the painted Morel Vintage finish (light cream color with a wheat glaze) for the kitchen proper (inside of the U) and a black heirloom finish for the peninsula cabinets.

One of the reasons I went with Schuler/Medallion was due to the fact that I could get a wooden range hood. This eliminated having the stainless steel look up top. I was also able to get the correct CFMs and the Vent-A-Hood liner from the factory, which simplified the ventilation requirements. The other reasons include:

* Beautiful painted finishes and several choices of white/cream (they just added White Icing and White Chocolate) and they have Morel, Oyster, and Heirloom finshes.

* Beautiful crown mouldings to choose from. I picked a six inch crown with a rope insert detail, which will pick up the hierloom black from the peninsula side cabinet

* Finished door end panels manufactured to fit flush with the cabinetry at the factory

* Seeded glass option for the mullion doors

Before ordering the cabinets I had to figure out whether I wanted a farmhouse sink or not, and I finally decided to go with a SS farmhouse sink (33 x 20 x 10) and bought it on overstock.com. I also have purchased the 36" black and SS Albertine. Yes, I went back and forth as do many on the color and type of farmhouse sink. In a sense the budget kind of determined that I should go with the SS farmhouse sink.

The cabinets should arrive in mid-June. Now, I need to concentrate on the rest of the budget and removing a post in our existing great room.

I went through at least three layouts and parted ways with a very expensive and arrogant KD at the beginning of the process in 2007. There have been quite a few twists and turns before settling on the color combination and appliances.

Here is a link that might be useful: Final Kitchen Layout

Comments (3)