Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zartemis

Where to clamp pasta roller?

zartemis
13 years ago

In one of my first layout posts here (where I listed the kinds of cooking we do) someone insightful mentioned having a place to clamp our meat grinder. I didn't put much thought into it because years ago we upgraded to one with a motor (since we make a lot of sausage) and don't use a clamp any more.

But last week we did some lamb ravioli and out came the pasta roller and it does clamp.

I was thinking at first we could clamp it to the counter overhang on the working side of the peninsula. See here:

From home designer

But we are all right-handed and that placement seems less than ideal. Not sure it's smart to put it at the end of a 18" overhang (on the side across from the dishwasher), but as long as we overengineer support? A pasta roller is much lighter and doesn't cause the stresses that a clamp-on meat grinder would.

We could clamp to the small overhang of the countertop over the cabinets and that might work for granite, but probably less well for soapstone, no? Do any of you soapstone folks clamp to your soapstone? Perhaps using small flat pieces of wood to spread the clamp load?

Anyone use a pullout board for a pasta roller? I'm having trouble picturing how it would pull out and then allow space for the dough to go.

Suggestions?

Comments (7)

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

I agree with rococogurl...that's where we plan to use anything like that, too. Slide out the stool and we'll have butcherblock/wood, so no problem. If you could clamp on the other side of the peninsula, I'm guessing the stool side would work, as well.

Good question and something for others to think about, as they plan their kitchens :)

• sara_the_brit_z6_ct
    13 years ago

Make sure you check the clamp size too - the clamp on my pasta roller is too small to clamp it to my counter. Fortunately, it's just fine on the Ikea butcherblock tabletop, but it was a surprise to realise it! I pad the underside with a folded dishcloth.

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

I have a large pullout breadboard and I use a clamp-on pasta machine at it. I'm just a rookie. I try to keep the pasta hunks at a manageable length yet the logistics do defy me sometimes (but doesn't that happen anywhere? My arms aren't long enough either). How do you lay things out in current usage? How much clean flat space do you need and in which direction from the machine?

Could you clamp on the pasta machine on the opposite side of the peninsula? or on the short end? You will have supports underneath, right? If you're pushing down really hard you're defying the logic of the unit I would think. I push down on a mere breadboard and it can take the pressure. Just be sure to put some padding between clamp and the stone so you don't scratch an expensive surface.

A large pull-out board between range and oven would give you plunk space from pantry or front door. A pull-out smaller board to left of refrig would be a great sandwich station and chopping station. A pull-out on the peninsula to the side of the red circle would give lowered clean wooden work surface and it would be facing the sitters.
    ____

check that door on dishwasher--is that really how small it is? Sorry to doubt you if there's no error. I had a 4-foot aisle and the DW door essentially bisected it.

• zartemis
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lots of great food for thought -- our cook is now looking into motors. Heh. But even so, there could always be clamps for various things in the future. An extra deep cutaway for a clamp might work, especially if it coincides with space for a required cabinet outlet.

Florantha - you made me quick double check that dishwasher door cause it looks small to me now too! We plan to use dishdrawers, so they do extend less than a full-height door: 22 inches (a bit more if we go integrated with a handle that extends or if the cabinet run is an extra inch or so deep for the integrated fridge). It's one argument in favor of dishdrawers for our space.

• zartemis
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, I forgot, currently we do it at wooden kitchen table. A bit too low for comfort, but it's our only option. The table we're planning to move in to the living room area is an inherited expandable type table (not quite butterfly) we won't want to prep/work on.

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

zartemis, maybe you could design a unique "clamp niche" just like a charging station drawer. False front that flips down and lets something slide out. Or if you have a cabinet with an open space below, something that double hinges down.

Put your KD to work!