eileenlaunonen

LOOKING for: English Toffee

eileenlaunonen
15 years ago

Please share! TIA

Comments (2)

• becky_ca
    15 years ago

Here's the one I've been making for several years - it's pretty easy - the one piece of advice I have is to test your candy thermometer before you start. It seems like I have to buy a new one every couple of years - maybe it gets banged around in the drawer.

This doesn't require constant stirring, just check the temp every couple of minutes and give it a stir with a wooden spoon (the wood doesn't conduct the heat like metal would).

The 285F temp is pretty flexible - the batch I made on Saturday I cooked to 295F because it was raining. I think any temp between 285F and 300F would be okay.

Enjoy :-)

Becky

* Exported from MasterCook *

Toffee

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 cups butter
    2 cups white sugar
    6 milk chocolate Hershey bars -- broken into pieces
    1 cup finely chopped nuts (I like toasted
    pecans)

1. In a large heavy bottomed saucepan, combine the butter and sugar. Cook over medium heat, stirring until the butter is melted. Allow to come to a boil, and cook until the mixture becomes a dark amber color, and the temperature has reached 285 degrees F on a candy thermometer, stirring occasionally.
    2. While the toffee is cooking, butter a large baking sheet.
    3. As soon as the toffee reaches the proper temperature, pour it out onto the prepared baking sheet. Lay the chocolate pieces over the top, and let it set for a minute or two to soften. Spread the chocolate into a thin even layer once it is melted. Sprinkle the nuts over the chocolate, and press in slightly. Putting a plastic bag over your hand will minimize the mess.
    4. Break into pieces when cool and set, and store in an airtight container.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    NOTES : If it's raining when you make the candy, cook to about 290F instead.

• loralee
    15 years ago

This is the same recipe that I have used for a number of years. IT is really really good. Yes, it is correct that it calls for the same amount of butter as it does sugar. But well worth it.

Lora